Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack vs rear hitch rack for bicycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who've installed bike racks of some kind on your Model S, what led you to choose what you did - either a roof rack or rear hitch mounted one ?

Considering one or the other for my new 23. The factors as I understand them are:

Roof
+ Easy to install
+ Rack alone has negligible energy loss (M3 data: Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies)
+ Can carry more than just bikes.
- Potential damage to glass roof from over-torqueing.

Rear
+ No fiddling around glass roof.
- Needs hitch install. My car doesn't seem to have one under the removable rear cap.
- hitch + rack can add up to much more than roof rack.

Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome!

I’d never put a roof rack on. Pain to put bike’s up there. Probably a bigger hit on efficiency. More likely to damage car getting bike up and down.

Hitch is a breeze to install.

I tow often and occasionally use the bike rack.

• Helpful
Reactions: suraj1194
Just go with the hitch. The roof downsides are huge. Several posts of people with broken roofs here. I think it was about 2k to replace.
Ouch. How did you install the hitch - I didn't have one on my old car and am yet to scope out how to go about doing so on the new arrival. I'm handy enough around cars, having worked on my E39 but am careful about fiddling with a brand new car's panels.

I thought we were talking model S?

There isn’t much point in showing the cover on because it looks exactly like it does with no hitch.

Here is my post installing it. It’s exactly like the Model X. Cover and all.

Posted on the MY Interior/Exterior, with no response, but you all appear to be knowledgeable in this area. Thanks:

Planning to purchase a new MY LR 19" with tow hitch for a bicycle rack for two touring bikes. Questions for anyone for help:
1. What is the Rear camera view with bicycles on the rack (picture)?
2. What is the obstruction to the rear camera view, the rear sensors and the rear view mirror?
3. What is the obstruction by the bicycles to the rear brake and turn signals to vehicles behind?
4. Is there a bicycle rack or modification to a bicycle rack to place brake/turn signal lights on the rear of the rack?
I would prefer to haul the secured bikes in the interior as we have done for the last 20+ years in our Honda Odyssey, but the Model Y appears to have the largest opening yet can not accommodate two bicycles, front wheels off, upright securely. Any advice (except forget the bike) and experience will be thoroughly appreciated.

Posted on the MY Interior/Exterior, with no response, but you all appear to be knowledgeable in this area. Thanks:

Planning to purchase a new MY LR 19" with tow hitch for a bicycle rack for two touring bikes. Questions for anyone for help:
1. What is the Rear camera view with bicycles on the rack (picture)?
2. What is the obstruction to the rear camera view, the rear sensors and the rear view mirror?
3. What is the obstruction by the bicycles to the rear brake and turn signals to vehicles behind?
4. Is there a bicycle rack or modification to a bicycle rack to place brake/turn signal lights on the rear of the rack?
I would prefer to haul the secured bikes in the interior as we have done for the last 20+ years in our Honda Odyssey, but the Model Y appears to have the largest opening yet can not accommodate two bicycles, front wheels off, upright securely. Any advice (except forget the bike) and experience will be thoroughly appreciated.
A lot of this will vary depending on the rack and bikes you have. There is no one size fits all answer her.

The bike rack I had did interfere with the parking sensors, (if your car has them), and I imagine most bike racks will that are horizontal. Again though, each rack is different. Keep in mind that once you plug anything into the factory tow hitch light connector, autopilot (AP) is disabled.

I ended up using my Bromptons (a compact folding bike) which will even fit in my 3. I have a hitch on my 3 and since there isn't a tow option from the factory, AP still works. Once I resolved to put a hitch on the 3, the Y became far less appealing to me.