Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Stag Roof Rack and Cracked Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody, just looking to see if anyone has also had a problem with their Stag Roof Rack and/or advice on how to proceed.

So I was looking for a good roof rack solution to transport my surfboards and discovered that the original Tesla Model 3 Roof Rack is recommended for permanent installation due to the difficulty of installation and the potential to break the glass when installing or removing. Not wanting to take a permanent mileage and aesthetic hit, I looked for alternatives. I found that sea sucker can damage to the rear glass (see bottom of FAQ here). At the time yakima did not have their compatible roof rack. In person, I saw what looked like a great solution, the STAG rack. Check their website here.

Now after looking at their website, I felt pretty confident. Out of the 26 marketing photos involving vehicles on the website, 18 of them were teslas (16 were Tesla model 3s, 2 were Tesla renders). On their Facebook page, all of their promo photos involve a Tesla Model 3. On their instagram page, almost a quarter of their photos involve a Tesla Model 3. On their FAQ, they specifically mention compatibility with Tesla Model 3 Roof glass. I looked around online and saw one forum post on this website and no complaints so far from anyone. It also appeared that you can just use the rack on the front glass, which appears to have less problems than the rear glass.

So, I was feeling great about this. I bought the surf rack and right off the bat there was a manufacturing defect albeit a small one. I reached out and they replied at first but then stopped replying and never addressed the problem. No big deal though, it was functioning well. I used it for a little over a year and had no problems. It was awesome. Then one day, I was driving to a surf spot on a hot day and when I went to put the boards back on, I noticed one of the vacuum cups was not sealing properly. I could not figure out why until I took the rack off and noticed a crack was forming in the front glass directly below where the cup was placed. I then reached out to them on their contact form and received no response.

TLDR: The roof rack cost me $419 and Tesla billed me $1,148, so I am out $1,567 in this mess and no good way to transport my boards. I would not recommend anyone here purchase this rack or any suction cup based rack. I would happily consider a class action if there are others with this problem. Please let me know if you have had experience with this problem or advice for me on how best to proceed to either receive some compensation and/or stop this company from advertising to Tesla owners inappropriately implying that their product will not break their glass. I have contacted them via instagram and Facebook and am also awaiting a response there.

Thanks for the long read. Any advice or support is appreciated.

Main_Dashboard_Page copy.png
Original_Order_Confirmation_Redacted.png
Original_Warranty_Claim_Redacted.png
FAQ copy.png
Invoice_Redacted.png
Cracked_Glass-2.jpeg

Glass roof is such a stupid idea. Anyone else have experiences to share? I am considering adding a roof rack but the glass roof is holding me back. Does getting Tesla roof rack + Tesla install (I guess that'd be $1K?) mean Tesla will take responsibility if the glass roof cracks? Is the roof rack and install that expensive because Tesla expects 1 of 5 glass to crack?