Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1Up Super Duty Single bike rack works acceptably with vision-based Park Assist.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly as the title says, the 1Up Super Duty Single* in folded-up position works acceptably with vision-based Park Assist ("Danger Doodle"). It does not seem to generate false alarms, and does not seem to prevent the system from functioning correctly.** This is the extent of my current 1st-hand observation.

The reason for this seems fairly obvious: the rack folds up low & fairly close to the body. It does not protrude into the rear camera's FoV as substantially as other racks seem to.

I am doubtful that the vision-based Park Assist will account for the couple of inches of extra length that the folded-up rack contributes to the car... but then again, "precision" is not something I'm uttering in the same breath as vision-based Park Assist, so that's moot. I obviously do not expect it to work correctly when loaded with a bike and/or with an Add-On, but that's ok since 90%-of-the-time the rack is folded, sans Add-On (this allows the rear hatch to open/close per normal; it fully clears the rack).

All things considered, as questionable as vision-based Park Assist is at this point in time... it's probably the best option*** if you intend on leaving a tray-type hitch-mounted bike rack on the back of your MY. YMMV with other tray-type hitch-mounted bike racks; my setup was an educated gamble that seemed to have paid off.

* And presumably their Quik Rack Single as well, since I believe relevant dimensions are the same.

** As correctly as Tesla Vision Park Assist functions, which is as spasmodically and imprecisely as it does sans rack.

*** With USS-based Park Assist, you get the infamous yellow/red mustache. Aside - the Tesla OEM/Yakima FullTilt hitch rack works acceptably with USS-based Park Assist for the same reason the 1Up Single hitch rack works acceptably with vision-based Park Assist: neither sits in front of their respective sensors. Putting the Tesla OEM/Yakima FullTilt hitch rack on the back of a vision-based Park Assist car seems to be problematic.

FSD build 2023.38.9, 2023 MYP HW4. 1up super duty double rack. Sometimes with bikes loaded the car will steer abruptly left or right for no apparent reason, seems to do this more frequently with bikes loaded than without them in there. Previously had 2018 M3LR with 2.5 and USS so still missing the summon and auto park features that worked fine before.