Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA compels Tesla to recall FSD feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that is literally a switch they can flip to disable rolling stops. hardly a reason that would delay rollouts. Meaning we would have seen a 10.9.1 by now.

Would be a different story if NHTSA asked Tesla to stop deploying FSD completely until a certain capability/safety metric was satisfied.

Reactions: Darren F
So, now FSD is recalled. We upgraded the computer and have paid the $99 per month and have a score of 99 but never even had a chance to use it. Now I went to downgrade my subscription and it states I can't :) I have EAP so I still get some neat bells and whistles and will now save $99 per month. My tesla Tech was right, he told me don't even sign up for FSD until they fix the bugs of which he stated "it's a like a Roach Motel right now"

FSD completely until a certain capability/safety metric was satisfied.

And what would that be? The whole issue with FSD is that it is poorly defined and publicized by Tesla. Telsa, and everyone else should be required to clearly state what level of vehicle autonomy they are offering and its limitations, such as keeping a hand on the wheel. Tesla is actually at Level 2 and requires hand on the wheel, but they like to hide behind their FULL Self Driving term.

And what would that be? The whole issue with FSD is that it is poorly defined and publicized by Tesla. Telsa, and everyone else should be required to clearly state what level of vehicle autonomy they are offering and its limitations, such as keeping a hand on the wheel. Tesla is actually at Level 2 and requires hand on the wheel, but they like to hide behind their FULL Self Driving term.

Ironic that you would cite the SAE levels, which are notorious for not quantifying the capability/reliability at each level. And Tesla attempts to do everything you are saying they don't for their publicly released AP.

You seem to have things backwards. We are lacking a federal standard for AV reliability. Once something is in place, then every automaker can use that as a benchmark for how they perform.

Reactions: Darren F
I'm just curious as to why this is being called a "recall". More FUD by the hostile press? There will be an update pushed. Probably some minor adjustments. They are not being called into the service centers for repairs.
It’s being called a recall because…it is.

The mechanism by which Tesla addresses the recall can be software based.

Ironic that you would cite the SAE levels, which are notorious for not quantifying the capability/reliability

I do not disagree, but this is where things start. First goals are established, then standards. Too bad standards still do not adequately exist

Once something is in place, then every automaker can use that as a benchmark for how they perform.

Absolutely!

that is literally a switch they can flip to disable rolling stops. hardly a reason that would delay rollouts. Meaning we would have seen a 10.9.1 by now.

Would be a different story if NHTSA asked Tesla to stop deploying FSD completely until a certain capability/safety metric was satisfied.
Is it, like, literally a switch they can, like, flip?

Last edited:
So, now FSD is recalled. We upgraded the computer and have paid the $99 per month and have a score of 99 but never even had a chance to use it. Now I went to downgrade my subscription and it states I can't :) I have EAP so I still get some neat bells and whistles and will now save $99 per month. My tesla Tech was right, he told me don't even sign up for FSD until they fix the bugs of which he stated "it's a like a Roach Motel right now"
Don't let the media FUD trick you. In this instance, recall means Tesla is sending a software update. They do this multiple times per month for beta already. So in essence, nothing is changing besides one certain feature.

You appear to be confused on several items:

1) The subscription is for the public version of FSD. Which you absolutely got a chance to use the moment you signed up for the subscription.

2) There's no such thing as "downgrading" a subscription. You can cancel it so it does not renew at the end of the month- and you can keep using the public version of FSD until the month you already paid for is up.

3) The narrow release beta of FSD isn't guaranteed to anyone, though some folks with a high enough score may be invited to it if they also own FSD or have an active subscription. Nothing in the purchase terms promises you access though.

4) The "recall" does not impact public FSD at all

5) Even for the beta, what one already has on the car will keep working just fine right now- a new OTA update will get pushed that removes the "rolling stop" ability of the aggressive setting is all that will happen going forward on this.

"tesla recalls feature that allows cars to roll through stop signs".

If you want to read that as "Tesla recalls entire FSD software suite", thats up to you.

I think it's too bad Tesla took advantage of the rolling stop and cruised thru some at 5-7mph. If they had limited it to 1-2mph they probably could have avoided this action.
I'm disappointed that it never worked for me.

I've always had the setting on because its latched to another setting I want. But, its never done it one time from version 10.3.1 to version 10.19 despite plenty of opportunities at stops with no one around.

I don't think it had anything to do with how it handled it. I think the fact of having it so early is what did them in. At least wait till the cops aren't watching before implementing the California Stop.

I think it's too bad Tesla took advantage of the rolling stop and cruised thru some at 5-7mph. If they had limited it to 1-2mph they probably could have avoided this action.
Ive been on every version since 10.2 and since they added the aggressive setting, I’ve never seen it roll at more than 1-2mph.

I really wish they didn’t advertise the rolling stops. Once the media outlets picked it up, it was just a matter of time before NHTSA came knocking. They should at least leave it for us Californians. California Rolls are basically the unspoken law here 😂

Last edited: