Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEXT UP: Supercharger Network in SOUTHEAST

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nashville to Louisville is about 175 miles (depends a lot on exactly where in each city). I'm not worried about the 80 MPH range. Guess we shouldn't worry about the 60 kWh models. But I do worry that our battery warranty only covers 70% of the new range: 265 * 0.7 = 185. Furthermore my interest is primarily in driving the route in cold weather which saps power even more.

Perhaps the thing to do is build out the network on 180 mile segments today so as tomorrow fill in between every 90.

Need a Supercharger in Decatur/Athens Alabama once one is out of the mountains of south Tennessee before climbing to Cullman, Alabama on the way to Birmingham. Decatur/Athens is also just what you need if driving Chattanooga to Memphis.

Nashville to Louisville is about 175 miles (depends a lot on exactly where in each city). I'm not worried about the 80 MPH range. Guess we shouldn't worry about the 60 kWh models. But I do worry that our battery warranty only covers 70% of the new range: 265 * 0.7 = 185. Furthermore my interest is primarily in driving the route in cold weather which saps power even more.

Perhaps the thing to do is build out the network on 180 mile segments today so as tomorrow fill in between every 90.

Need a Supercharger in Decatur/Athens Alabama once one is out of the mountains of south Tennessee before climbing to Cullman, Alabama on the way to Birmingham. Decatur/Athens is also just what you need if driving Chattanooga to Memphis.

I hear that Auburn and Mobile are on the up and coming list... If Tesla puts a Supercharger somewhere near Greenville, AL, then I-85 makes it to the Gulf, and Atlanta becomes the Supercharger Crossroads for the Southeast. On top of that, add Slidell, LA to Mobile and there is a great connection from Defuniak Springs to Baton Rouge on I-10/I-12.

Has anyone heard any new updates on Alabama Superchargers? Montgomery is still the only one showing on the TM SC map (listed as 2014 but probably not at this late date...) but Cottonwood and others have noted potential other cities. Birmingham would be a great crossroads location as well but it isn't listed in 2015 either.

Has anyone heard any new updates on Alabama Superchargers? Montgomery is still the only one showing on the TM SC map (listed as 2014 but probably not at this late date...) but Cottonwood and others have noted potential other cities. Birmingham would be a great crossroads location as well but it isn't listed in 2015 either.

A reliable source has let me know that Auburn, Greenville, and Mobile, AL are on the list to finish I-85 to the Gulf and Moble will help fill in the causeway to connect the Texas Island.

That creates a very nicely spaced set of Supercharger Sites to the Gulf, and when the causeway off of the Texas Island is done, the I-85 route will offer the Texans a good way to veer towards Atlanta and on to the Northeast and vice versa. This looks like excellent planning on Tesla's part to me.

Atlanta, GA to Mobile, AL - Google Maps

A reliable source has let me know that Auburn, Greenville, and Mobile, AL are on the list to finish I-85 to the Gulf and Moble will help fill in the causeway to connect the Texas Island.

Thanks Cottonwood. If this is the case then Montgomery would certainly come off the list. Agree with N4HHE also. Hopefully we'll see traction soon.

That creates a very nicely spaced set of Supercharger Sites to the Gulf, and when the causeway off of the Texas Island is done, the I-85 route will offer the Texans a good way to veer towards Atlanta and on to the Northeast and vice versa. This looks like excellent planning on Tesla's part to me.

Atlanta, GA to Mobile, AL - Google Maps

I agree that makes much better sense than to put one in Montgomery. It puts Birmingham nominally 134 miles from Greenville. Decatur AL is about 80 miles north of Birmingham so perhaps favor the south I-465 side of Birmingham such as Hoover.

Greenville, AL is very good for those headed to Panama City.

Wondering if someone who travels the southeast can help me out. In April I am planning to drive New Jersey to Nashville to New Orleans and back to New Jersey (through Atlanta). I have a 60 and have driven up and down the east coast with it. I am mostly concerned with two legs of the trip: New Orleans to Greenville SC (267 miles) and Atlanta to Charlotte (245 miles).
Are there any 60 owners who have made that drive and can suggest where to charge between those points?

Check out plugshare.

There are a couple CHAdeMO chargers if you take 23 north from Atlanta. One is Clayton, GA (105 miles from Atlanta SC) and then one that hopefully will be open soon in Ashville, NC (89 miles from Clayton).

Then you'd have to drop down a little to catch Charlotte.

Look for RV parks as a "Plan B."

As for New Orleans to Greenville, AL, hopefully the Mobile SC will be open within the next month or 2.

Wondering if someone who travels the southeast can help me out. In April I am planning to drive New Jersey to Nashville to New Orleans and back to New Jersey (through Atlanta). I have a 60 and have driven up and down the east coast with it. I am mostly concerned with two legs of the trip: New Orleans to Greenville SC (267 miles) and Atlanta to Charlotte (245 miles). Are there any 60 owners who have made that drive and can suggest where to charge between those points?

Clarification: you meant Greenville Alabama. For a while, there was supposed to be a Greenville South Carolina (SC!) supercharging site, but that fell through (with lawyers etc.) so it's off the map for now. But down here, you need to specify Greenville AL or Greenville SC, and don't abbreviate supercharger to SC :)

For Atlanta-Charlotte along I-85, you could plan to spend some time at the Tanger outlets in Commerce GA. They have 30-Amp Level 2 chargers there that are reliable and never ICEd. You could also stop at a Chademo DCFC in Buford GA northeast of the city, 220 miles from the Charlotte superchargers.

No problemo!

The year is flying by, we are nearly at mid-year 2015.
Texas has (finally) been connected, both to the North on I-35 and the East/Southeast on I-10.

Looking ahead on the Tesla Motors current and projected maps for 2015, there appear to be dozens of new Supercharge Stations to be permitted, built and opened in the Southeast, Florida, Virginia and Texas.

The I-20 route alone appears to have six new locations (one location is East of Atlanta).

No, I don't realistically expect them all to be opened by Dec. 31, but if the majority of them get on-line, what a difference it will have on making trips.

Any future plans for Super charging stations in Alabama, Hope to see Dothan soon????

Travel from Atlanta to Panama City Beach and we need to go out of our way to Auburn, AL to charge to make it all the way.

Anyone have any insight?

Reactions: N4HHE
Any future plans for Super charging stations in Alabama, Hope to see Dothan soon????

Travel from Atlanta to Panama City Beach and we need to go out of our way to Auburn, AL to charge to make it all the way.

Anyone have any insight?
Tesla publishes a MAP that shows future planned locations (the map just tells you the cities/general areas, not the exact spot within a city/region). The dates listed used to be so horribly unreliable that it was something of a joke to those who follow supercharger progress, but they recently changed the way they list future sites and it seems much, much better now. Whether that will last or not, we'll see. But locations in both Columbus, GA and Dothan, AL are listed for future superchargers. Also note that Marianna, FL was recently completed and opened, which might help your trip as well. Since the Dothan location is listed with an estimated opening that is quite far off, 2022, it shouldn't be relied on. You should read that as "2022 or later". The Columbus one planned for a Q2 2021 opening is likely pretty solid. It's safe to expect them to at least start construction on that location within the listed quarter.

If you want to track progress on what's known by the community of people who search for more exact information on supercharger locations and their status/progress, the best resource is supercharge.info and the map there.