Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging solely using Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here,

Thinking of taking the EV plunge however I will solely be charging using the Supercharger network. I live in a flat with no way of arranging home charging.

I live close to 2 Supercharger stations.

1) I have a Supercharger station 4 min drive away from where I live
2) The 2nd Supercharger station is a 1 min detour on my way to work

I'm looking at either the M3 RWD 2024, or the MY RWD both on either 3 or 4yr contracts.

I've read varying statements regarding battery degradation? I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks

Yes this will essentially be a lease. I have read on this forum about Tesla throttling charging ability to protect the battery. Wondered if there's any other examples of this by users?

Newbie here,

Thinking of taking the EV plunge however I will solely be charging using the Supercharger network. I live in a flat with no way of arranging home charging.

I'm looking at either the M3 RWD 2024, or the MY RWD both on either 3 or 4yr contracts.

I've read varying statements regarding battery degradation? I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks

I would not own an EV if I could not charge it at home. The supercharger network is great, but it's a massive time suck to use it as your exclusive charging option.

That said, if it's a lease why do you care about the battery degradation?

Newbie here,

Agree with @LoudMusic , if you can’t charge at home, don’t buy an EV. Get a hybrid instead.

Reactions: ATPMSD
The latest studies reveal that fast charging does not result in any significant difference in degradation.

I don't know about about the cost of electricity and Supercharging in your area, but where I am in the US, the cost of Supercharging a Tesla Model Y is the same as the cost of gasoline for a gasoline-powered vehicle that gets 31 miles per gallon. A gasoline-powered Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 will get better than 31 MPG and cost less to purchase.

Generally, fast charging should only be done when absolutely necessary for long-distance travel. It is not economical for daily driving.

A friend of mine who lives in apartment (flat) purchased a Mustang Mach-E a few years ago and was unpleasantly surprised when he realized he was spending more on charging than he spent on gasoline for his previous vehicle. He totaled the Mach-E last year and did not replace it, but it now considering a Model Y now that his living situation changed and he can charge at home.

I love my EV and have no plans to ever purchase another gasoline-powered vehicle, but they're not always the best tool for the job.

Reactions: TespaceX