Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging has become more expensive than Supercharging at night. Should I still charge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The electricity rate has increased so much that even off peak unit rate is higher than Superchargers, and I live very near a Supercharging station (about 1.3 miles). It would save me about 5 cents a kWh to use it for charging. I mostly charge in the office using an level 2 charger, but occasionally I need to charge my 2023 M3LR elsewhere. Should I still avoid Supercharging for battery health, or doing so 2-3 times a month from ~20% to ~50% is not going to affect degradation? I still have the full EPA range when I last charged to 100% in January, and my car was manufactured in August 2023. Thank you

The electricity rate has increased so much that even off peak unit rate is higher than Superchargers, and I live very near a Supercharging station (about 1.3 miles). It would save me about 5 cents a kWh to use it for charging. I mostly charge in the office using an level 2 charger, but occasionally I need to charge my 2023 M3LR elsewhere. Should I still avoid Supercharging for battery health, or doing so 2-3 times a month from ~20% to ~50% is not going to affect degradation? I still have the full EPA range when I last charged to 100% in January, and my car was manufactured in August 2023. Thank you

3/mo x 80kWh x 30% = 72kWh/mo
72kWh/mo x $0.05/kWh = $3.60/mo.

How much do you earn per hour? ;)

For the last 4.5 years I've been using DCFC stations near me to charge (don't have home charging but I could). The main one I use is a CHAdeMO station, which means that the power delivered to the car is less than 50kW. About 10% of the time I also use an Urban Supercharger; 72kW. Only when I take a long trip do I use V3 Superchargers, which isn't that often. I typically wait until SoC is 35-40% and generally charge to 90%.

Currently, my 2018 LR RWD with 29K miles has a 90% range of 273-74 miles. That's an estimated 100% range of 304 miles which is 6 miles less than new, or 2% degradation. If you assume that one of those early OTA pushed the range to 325 miles (I never really saw it), then the loss is around 6.5%

edit: The first year I had free L2 charging at work. When I was laid off, that perk went away and I started DCFC charging exclusively.

Last edited:
My home electricity dropped to 12c/kWh in January, but it's still more expensive than the Tesla destination charger I get to use for free at the ski resort I usually visit. Got 50% today, from 30% to 80%. Maybe, I should ski even more than I do?

It pains me to say this, but 5hrs later, when I stopped skiing for lunch, I went out to my car to drop off some things, and I saw my car had just hit 80%, so I unplugged my car and plugged it into some Model S from Massachusetts, that I saw had parked 2 spots over, when I was walking up to the lift, earlier that morning. I'm sure he was bummed at not getting a charger at 7am! It was my good deed for the day, but did it have to be a guy from Massachusetts?
IMG_3045.jpeg

So let’s ignore my financial situation for this post. Thanks
Your whole reason for going to the supercharger is because it’s cheaper, so why would we ignore the financials?

And if you can easily afford to replace the battery then why are you concerned about supercharging battery degradation?

To me, the convenience of charging at home/work far outweighs the time lost going to a supercharger and waiting to charge. Much less waiting in line before even being able to charge if it’s congested.

The pricing is kind of stupid though because it discourages home charging when we need as much people to charge at home as possible to avoid overcrowding the superchargers. The power company needs to lower the rates for EV charging and/or Tesla needs to increase their rates.

I mostly charge in the office using an level 2 charger, but occasionally I need to charge my 2023 M3LR elsewhere.
Most commenters seem to have skipped over this statement.

Supercharging does increase degradation of nickel-based battery packs, but not to an extreme degree. It is also mitigated because you are charging 20-50% which also reduces charging-related degradation.

Usually when supercharging is cheaper than a home EV rate it is because Tesla hasn't updated pricing yet to match latest rate changes. Enjoy it while it lasts because it probably won't last long.

Reactions: Kelculate
Your whole reason for going to the supercharger is because it’s cheaper, so why would we ignore the financials?

And if you can easily afford to replace the battery then why are you concerned about supercharging

I probably didn’t phrase the question properly. It is supposed to be about Supercharing’s impact to battery. I was hoping to hear opinions from those who study batteries like @AAKEE. But thanks for those who replied and tried to help.

Reactions: GSP
I probably didn’t phrase the question properly. It is supposed to be about Supercharing’s impact to battery. I was hoping to hear opinions from those who study batteries like @AAKEE. But thanks for those who replied and tried to help.
If that is your question, there are hundreds of threads that have conversations on this very topic, such as this: Is it bad to supercharge all the time?

Should I still avoid Supercharging for battery health, or doing so 2-3 times a month from ~20% to ~50% is not going to affect degradation? I still have the full EPA range when I last charged to 100% in January, and my car was manufactured in August 2023. Thank you
Do the supercharging with a preconditioned battery.
The issue with Supercharging is lithium plating and it is reduced or even a non issue with a preconditioned battery.
Also, the issue with lithium plating is mostly happening at higher SOC so with a warm battery and not going too high in SOC will reduce the lithium plating to a minimum.

I averaged 2 SuC sessions a month on my last car during 2.5 years, and on my new I had 15 sessions so far on 8 months.

A supercharging session every now and then doesnt seem to affect the BMS capacity estimate at all.
Several superchargings in a short period has caused the BMS estimate to go down (0.5-1 kWh or so) but after that daily low SOC and low SOC cycles seem to make the battery recover the capacity.
If it’s lithium plating returning to cyclable lithium or anything else I do not know, but anyway the recovery effect is well documented in the research.

So to sum it up, dont worry about 2-3 SuC sessions a month at low SOC.

And I just learned another tidbit of info from @AAKEE! I did not realize that the lithium plating occurs more at higher SOCs. So, if you're supercharging a cold battery at low levels, by the time it gets to higher levels, the battery should be fairly warm, no, mitigating some of the risk? So, rule of thumb, supercharge at low levels, cold or preferably warm? Or did I get that all wrong?

Should I still avoid Supercharging for battery health, or doing so 2-3 times a month from ~20% to ~50% is not going to affect degradation?

There is data to suggest even when using a Supercharger many times a month and charging to 80%+ each time, that no real battery degradation occurs.

Since you will charge from 20% to 50%, 2-3 times per month, the answer is no.

I never said charging is free at work. Just it is the cheapest option for me by far. Still, the question remains about the impact of Supercharging to battery health. I mean, financially I don’t really have to care about battery degradation either, but I still follow the low SOC strategy. So let’s ignore my financial situation for this post. Thanks
If your emphasis is on minimizing battery degradation, it should be better to charge Level 2 only, which is limited to a very low rate by the onboard charger. DCFC isn't really much worse, but it's not better.

Reactions: GSP and Kelculate
the 5c per hour price difference is negligible, do whatever is more convenient at the time. i hope everyone here has convinced you that the difference is so meaningless that if you're doing it (charge at home, or charge at a supercharger) for Time purposes, then that's probably the only meaningful and valuable difference.

And I just learned another tidbit of info from @AAKEE! I did not realize that the lithium plating occurs more at higher SOCs. So, if you're supercharging a cold battery at low levels, by the time it gets to higher levels, the battery should be fairly warm, no, mitigating some of the risk? So, rule of thumb, supercharge at low levels, cold or preferably warm? Or did I get that all wrong?
Always precondition is my tip.

The battery is not completely safe from lithium plsting at low SOC, but it is less prone to at low SOC.

Lithium plating occurs because the lithium ions can not move fast when the battery is cold. This is the reason why lithium batter Should not be charged at all below freezing.

Even if you connect the travel charger, UMC on a slow power source (L1 in US terms?) the battery will never be charged until it is warmed to ~ a few degrees C above freezing. The reason is to avoid lithium plating.

Tesla reduce the supercharging speed on a cold battery, but I guess there is a compromise between time occupying the SuC and wear on the battery.

I once had to charge on SuC without preconditioning. I always precondition before a SuC session as I have read the research around it.
Tesla updated the UI at Christmas 2021 and I had updated away from home to get to se the Christmas show. On the drive home I couldnt find the superchargers to add a charging, the car headed home on the nav with only a few percent as the target at home. As the temperature dropped 10C to -30C, consumption increased and despite making the navigation over again it didnt add the charger, even when the yellow warning “reduce speed to reach the destination”.

I ended up deciding to need to charge at the SuC 55km from home after actually turning back when the end SOC when below 0%.

My car, having 12-15C temp in the battery and not much energy to heat the battery with went straight up to the maximum ~140kW a Supercharger v2 offers. (Thats 2C)

Looking at research from fast charging and different temperatures you would like the cell temp to be 25C to avoid lithium plating at 1C charging rate.

That did not feel very nice to the battery :oops:

-If you need to fast charge a cold battery, just charge what you need, not more.
-If you can, always precondition before.

As it seems, the wear from fast charging, the lithium plating part, might not be shown as a excessive degradation on the battery or maybe not easy detected as degradation but if / when you get enough lithium plating the cells (most likely a few initially) will get short circuit internally, which ruins the complete battery in the model 3 case.

The end state of high amounts of lithium plating is a shorted cell that stops working.

I have an example of a Swedish M3P that was almost onky supercharged. I think he had 55.000kWh supercharging.
The car was around 230K km ODO and out of warranty. He has Scan my tesla and the car had ~12% capacity loss on the NFP (10% loss in range from new).

The battery died and he went to third party shop changing to a used battery.

He was told there was a few cells that had shorted.
My conclusion (not this guys, nor the shop) is that this was caused by extensive supercharging leading to a lot of lithium plating and shorted cells.

So the takeaway is that unlike the conclusion from the articles talking about that supercharging does no harm, it actually does. Just like tesla write in the manual to supercharge when needed but not always.

From the research there is results showing that periods of ”rest” between heavy cycles can male the battery recover capacity by for example reverting lithium plated lithium to cyclable lithium.
I have seen signs of this on both my Teslas, and now I even can predict it.
I recently had a period of higher charges/100% and also several supercharging session’s. There was no time for low SOC cycles between.
Before the capacity was very stable at 97.5kWh-ish. It went down to 96.7kWh during this period and when I had the possibility to use the car as usual, 55% daily with ~ 20-35% end of day SOC the capacity returned to 97.5 kWh.
(First time I did see this a few years back I thought it was a BMS of situation but now I have seen it enough to see the pattern and Im able to forecast it.).

• Informative
There is data to suggest even when using a Supercharger many times a month and charging to 80%+ each time, that no real battery degradation occurs.

Since you will charge from 20% to 50%, 2-3 times per month, the answer is no.
I do not think that that data is really representative to whats actually happening in the batteries.

I am sure that extensive supercharging will cause lithium plating which will cause short circuit in the cells.

It doesnt matter that you can not see it in their data.

In my degradation formulas I do not consider the amount of supercharging and these calcs mostly hit spot on anyway.

I know from research that fast charging wears quite much, and even if we heat the batteries there most probably lithium plating happening.

Looking into how sensitive different chemistries is from fast charging, I see that Panasonic NCA is less sensitive to fast charging than LG M-50 NMCA (the 78.8kWh batt)
Theres a clear difference between 0.3C and 0.7C charging rate that we do not see in NCA, so I would not supercharge the LG on a daily basis.

Reactions: GSP