Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it better for my car to spend more time at 50% or have shallower discharge cycles but spend more time at a higher state of charge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you so much for answering my questions. This really helps settle my battery anxiety.
You should not have any battery anxiety :)

The battery will hold up anyway.
The only reason to even care (like I do) is to reduce the degradation and keep the range.
For really long ( > 8-10 years) term it might make a difference for how lojg it takes until the battery starts to develope issues.

But in the frame of most peoples use, it is a non issue and you of course only need to follow the manufacturers (simple) advices.
(I try to write this from time to time, but its not possible to add it to every post.)
The last question I have for the health of the battery, is it better to charge fewer times and let the battery run down to a low SoC or is it better to keep the car plugged in and charge daily? I’m thinking the answer might be different for the 2 types of batteries the LG and the LFP
Thats right:
LFP’s are much less sensible to the size of the cycle, so you can do litterally thousands of 100-0% cycles. Cyclic wear is a non issue on LFP’s in the EV’s so only how calendar aging affect it is interesting in a degradation point of view.

In theory you could charge only when needed with LFP and charge when the SOC is getting low but I would charge daily to 70% and once a week to 100%.

NMC / LG likes smaller cycles better, but still cycles are nor the main thing that causes degradation. Its again calendar aging.

Use 50-60% charging level for LG NMCA as daily charging, and more when needed.
(100% is not at all dangerous as some might tell you).

To minimize degradation:
-Do not charge more than needed
-Charge often (reduces the need per above and makes the cycles smaller.
-Charge late, so the time at high SOC is reduced, specially when going above 60%.

Again thank you so much for your insight. I intend to keep this car for a long time and want to maximize its health. I’ve installed the home charger so I can do either easily.

Thanks

Reactions: evfangirl
I think it’s cool that you guys know and understand all this. I’m too dumb to worry about it so I charge my Plaid late overnight to the level I’ll need when I leave in the morning, and I do a lot of long road trips across Texas so it is to 100% at least twice a month. I also supercharge to 80% on my routes when I need to (often) and don’t think twice about it. My guess is I’ll trade this car in for something new long before I notice any degradation anyway. I have enough anxieties - no room to introduce a new one. 😜

Reactions: evfangirl and AAKEE