Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wall Connector :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been asked, if I have Nema 14-50 using a 100amp breaker, can I tap off that and install the new Wall Connector and keep that plug live?
As rypalmer stated it should be on a 50 amp breaker but you could do what you want by putting in a sub panel in line on your 100 amp breaker. Technically you could then put a Wall Charger on the same sub panel but make sure they are not being used at the same time or derate your Wall Charger so the max load of the panel does not exceed your 100 amps.

Reactions: fillerup
Here is some good advice from Flasher on the Forum FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

CAN I ATTACH A CORD AND PLUG TO MY HPWC AT THE 50A SETTING?

In several threads on this forum, some have asked whether they may use their HPWC plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle; this would allow them to unplug it and use their UMC in case of a wall connector failure.

Technically, there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits the practice; Tesla's instructions don't explicitly call for only permanent wiring methods, and article 625 permits 240V devices to be plug-and-cord devices as long as they're "fastened in place". The only restriction is that the segment of cord prior to the ground fault protection (HPWC) must be a maximum of 12 inches in length (NEC 625.17(A)(3)(a)). Proper connectors, clamps, and strain relief connectors must be used.

When consulted on the compliance of such a solution, several municipal and county inspectors have determined the practice to be legal based on the current instructions published by Tesla, and the NEC's requirements. However, when consulted, Tesla expressed concerns about the practice. The charging team responded to an inquiry with an explanation that the HPWC is designed to be mounted on a wall or post and wired using permanent wiring methods. There are concerns that a power cord could be yanked from the HPWC's terminals and expose live wires if, for example, someone or something grabbed the cord and yanked.

A suggestion was made that Tesla note in the instruction/installation manual that permanent wiring methods are required, which would then be required by the NEC per section 110.3.

Here is some good advice from Flasher on the Forum FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

CAN I ATTACH A CORD AND PLUG TO MY HPWC AT THE 50A SETTING?

In several threads on this forum, some have asked whether they may use their HPWC plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle; this would allow them to unplug it and use their UMC in case of a wall connector failure.

Technically, there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits the practice; Tesla's instructions don't explicitly call for only permanent wiring methods, and article 625 permits 240V devices to be plug-and-cord devices as long as they're "fastened in place". The only restriction is that the segment of cord prior to the ground fault protection (HPWC) must be a maximum of 12 inches in length (NEC 625.17(A)(3)(a)). Proper connectors, clamps, and strain relief connectors must be used.

When consulted on the compliance of such a solution, several municipal and county inspectors have determined the practice to be legal based on the current instructions published by Tesla, and the NEC's requirements. However, when consulted, Tesla expressed concerns about the practice. The charging team responded to an inquiry with an explanation that the HPWC is designed to be mounted on a wall or post and wired using permanent wiring methods. There are concerns that a power cord could be yanked from the HPWC's terminals and expose live wires if, for example, someone or something grabbed the cord and yanked.

A suggestion was made that Tesla note in the instruction/installation manual that permanent wiring methods are required, which would then be required by the NEC per section 110.3.

Spend the extra $50 on a GFCI breaker for the circuit, then that clause is not meaningful.

The whole idea of EVSE's are dumb, EV charging should simply require GFCI/AFCI breakers on the entire circuit, and a simple electrical cable after that.

Not really. EVSEs also communicate to the car how much power they can draw. That's a pretty wide range from 15-80 amps.

So do NEMA plugs. That's what you get on the end of an UMC.

I swear the EVSE was invented by a guy that thought that EV's should plug into an equivalent of a gas station. No, it's not a damn gas station. I think we've already figured out how to plug electrical appliances into sockets, we didn't need the wheel reinvented.

Reactions: mblakele
On page 29 of the manual it says if you run in slave mode the maximum current of the master must be set at 40amps (set master rotary switch to 8, slaves to F). Is this true? I thought we would be able to run them all at 80 amps and have them round robin or do some sort of partial load distribution, not to exceed 80 amps total.

I searched this thread about this and did not see it mentioned so sorry if this is well known.

BTW got mine today and am only planning on running it in a single mode but I could have two of them some day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
I have another question for you experts:

I am going to put the charger on a wall that is covered with drywall. I will put a 2x4 in the wall so I can center the charger in a space between my two garage doors. I have a load center just above the WC and it will sit about a foot below the load center.

My question involves the conduit. I was planning on running 1" flex conduit out the bottom of the LC and feed it into the back of the WC. But what's the secret to putting in the conduit and then putting the drywall in after the fact? Of if I put the conduit in and then used 1" threaded end after poking the conduit through the hole would that be allowed since I could not really secure the conduit to anything but the load center and the WC? Plus it just seems that would be about impossible with space and distance limitations.

I think I must be missing some basic concept here.:confused:

On page 29 of the manual it says if you run in slave mode the maximum current of the master must be set at 40amps (set master rotary switch to 8, slaves to F). Is this true? I thought we would be able to run them all at 80 amps and have them round robin or do some sort of partial load distribution, not to exceed 80 amps total.

I searched this thread about this and did not see it mentioned so sorry if this is well known.

BTW got mine today and am only planning on running it in a single mode but I could have two of them some day.

Well that sucks. I hope that's a typo. You should probably send an email to Tesla.

So do NEMA plugs. That's what you get on the end of an UMC.

I swear the EVSE was invented by a guy that thought that EV's should plug into an equivalent of a gas station. No, it's not a damn gas station. I think we've already figured out how to plug electrical appliances into sockets, we didn't need the wheel reinvented.

The UMC is an EVSE. It speaks J1772 to the car to tell it what kind of circuit it's plugged into, and it switches off when it's unplugged to prevent shocks.

It isn't quite that simple. Electrical cords for appliances are generally permanently attached to the appliance. When you plug the cord into the wall, there is no easy way for you to get shocked. But cars are not designed with permanently attached cords, so you have the end that plugs into the car presenting a shock hazard once you plug into the wall. And things like dropping the car end of the plug into a puddle will eventually happen.

So the main function of an EVSE is to interrupt the electricity on the car plug unless it knows you are plugged into a car.

As rypalmer stated it should be on a 50 amp breaker but you could do what you want by putting in a sub panel in line on your 100 amp breaker. Technically you could then put a Wall Charger on the same sub panel but make sure they are not being used at the same time or derate your Wall Charger so the max load of the panel does not exceed your 100 amps.

Thanks for the info, I am just prepping for the future, I would like to use the Mobile Charger for awhile and see how that works out, but want the flexibility of adding on WC without having to getting another feed from the main breaker. The sub panel solution sounds good. Would there be a problem if I install100 amp and just use the Mobile Charger for the time being?

It isn't quite that simple. Electrical cords for appliances are generally permanently attached to the appliance. When you plug the cord into the wall, there is no easy way for you to get shocked. But cars are not designed with permanently attached cords, so you have the end that plugs into the car presenting a shock hazard once you plug into the wall. And things like dropping the car end of the plug into a puddle will eventually happen.

So the main function of an EVSE is to interrupt the electricity on the car plug unless it knows you are plugged into a car.

A problem which is easily solved by requiring GFCI outlets for EV charging.

The UMC is an EVSE. It speaks J1772 to the car to tell it what kind of circuit it's plugged into, and it switches off when it's unplugged to prevent shocks.

It's a solution to itself. The dangling live end was not necessary. Again from this idea that it plugs into a "station" instead of it just being another appliance, like a leaf blower or a toaster.

Not sure if this has been asked, if I have Nema 14-50 using a 100amp breaker, can I tap off that and install the new Wall Connector and keep that plug live?

A 50-amp receptacle may not be attached to a branch circuit with more than a 50A breaker protecting it. If it's a 50A breaker and you want to use the 40A charge / 50A circuit setting on the wall connector, you may do that, if that it is "unlikely" (per NEC 220.62) that you would use the NEMA receptacle and WC at the same time.