Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping wall connectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have the older Elon Musk edition wall connector I got around 2019. The older gen one with the thicker cable from around 2018-19.

I’m browsing offer up for people selling the current gen wall connector.

I am wondering if an older wall connector is already installed and charging my current Tesla, will installation be easier? Like just swapping a few wires?

The guy on offer up offered to test it. I assuming with the condition you have a current wall connector installed and can use its current stuff to swap out for the new one.

Is it now $500? I’m also trying to trade. Like if they have a used one then I try offering my used Xbox series X and it should be a fair trade. If it’s used I could offer them a Nintendo Switch OLED brand new from Dave and Busters because I am able to 3x my money there or win a $350 prize for about $110-$130. I have a spreadsheet that I look at that calculates my numbers. It’s too bad I can’t win a wall connector at the arcade. Kind of hard to trade seems people rather take a loss and get some of their money back rather than salvage the situation and get an item of similar retail value.

Gen3 wall connector is now $475. The install would >ideally< be swapping a few wires, but the new HPWC wants a ton of extra wire in the HPWC body, like a foot or more. Your Gen2 is lucky to have 6" of wire within it, and that will just barely reach the terminal lugs on the new HPWC, although it depends somewhat on how the Gen2 was installed. If its rear-entry(aka no conduit), there's maybe 6". If its conduit from above, you probably will have enough wire for the Gen3. If its conduit from below, its very questionable.

The problem with used Gen3 wall connectors is there was quite a batch of bad ones out there(mainly -F model numbers), where if they were used at the full 48A they would overheat and either rollback on power output or just plain fail permanently.

I already have the older Elon Musk edition wall connector I got around 2019. The older gen one with the thicker cable from around 2018-19.

I’m browsing offer up for people selling the current gen wall connector.

I am wondering if an older wall connector is already installed and charging my current Tesla, will installation be easier? Like just swapping a few wires?

The guy on offer up offered to test it. I assuming with the condition you have a current wall connector installed and can use its current stuff to swap out for the new one.

Is it now $500? I’m also trying to trade. Like if they have a used one then I try offering my used Xbox series X and it should be a fair trade. If it’s used I could offer them a Nintendo Switch OLED brand new from Dave and Busters because I am able to 3x my money there or win a $350 prize for about $110-$130. I have a spreadsheet that I look at that calculates my numbers. It’s too bad I can’t win a wall connector at the arcade. Kind of hard to trade seems people rather take a loss and get some of their money back rather than salvage the situation and get an item of similar retail value.
I would turn off the breaker and take off the existing front plate to see what you are working with as far as existing wiring. You might have to rearrange the mount slightly depending on the slack you need but should be doable.

I would turn off the breaker and take off the existing front plate to see what you are working with as far as existing wiring. You might have to rearrange the mount slightly depending on the slack you need but should be doable.
@JetFalcon

If you do not have enough wire you can use an inline connector box and add some wire, just be sure to use a properly sized connector and wire. Probably best to have an electrician do this for you.