Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New version of model 3... mid range

What do you think of the new mid range AWD/RWD changes?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually doing a test drive of the M3 later this afternoon. I'm going to ask and see why the FSD is removed as an option. For a person like myself who cancelled due to the whole PC gov't fiasco, this mid-range might be a viable option to make up for the loss of the $14 rebate.

So what's the midrange kW pack sitting at? 60kW?
Doing the straight math it should be 62kwh since it's rated for 260 miles. Interesting because my wife's bolt is rated for 238 miles and has a 60kwh pack. Now, the way gm rates things we typically beat that easily except for winter. It seems Tesla's numbers are more optimistic than GM'S.

Looks like they are setting up for having 50 mile mumos between LR (310 miles), MR (260 miles) and SR (210 ? miles).

I might be tempted with this Model and price, loan via Tesla seems expensive mind so if I can find a car loan cheaper I think I might bite on this one :)
You’re not gonna find a better deal than what Tesla is offering right now. Been there done that in June along with everyone else. If you do please share but I highly doubt it. Banks are doing high interest for Tesla in Canada

Doing the straight math it should be 62kwh since it's rated for 260 miles.

If you do the math based on driving range you should also take into account the reduction in weight due to less batteries. That'll affect energy usage a few percent.

You could also calculate it based on difference in weight itself since that's all presumably due to less batteries. I think someone on reddit calculated that:
New LEMUR Pack Architecture Guesstimate : teslamotors

Their guesstimate is 66kWh, 62 usable, 60 from 100% down to empty.

LR RWD started at $64,100
MR RWD starts at $58,800

Difference is $5,300
MR has ~80 km less range and is a tad slower. Also a few hundred pounds lighter.

It’s an interesting marketing move and may cause some SR waiters to buy sooner. I still subscribe to “range is king” but $5,300 is significant. Have to think about the impact of winter range loss, charging to 80%, etc to see if the MR will work for you. If I didn’t qualify for the $14k Ontario rebate, the MR would be enticing.

No one qualifies for the $14,000.00 Ontario rebate any longer.

If you do the math based on driving range you should also take into account the reduction in weight due to less batteries. That'll affect energy usage a few percent.

You could also calculate it based on difference in weight itself since that's all presumably due to less batteries. I think someone on reddit calculated that:
New LEMUR Pack Architecture Guesstimate : teslamotors

Their guesstimate is 66kWh, 62 usable, 60 from 100% down to empty.
Good point ;)

Where are you test driving? Does Yorkdale test drive the 3 now?
It test drove it in Oakville this afternoon. It was a very nice hour and a half! They said the FSD is not available in Canada and certainly states at the moment due to the fact they can't forsee when the regulation will allow it. I'll probably wait until spring because I don't want to get a car before the winter and perhaps we might get a federal rebate next year... (Hope JT gets re-elected)

The fact of Tesla offering a smaller (MR) pack means their through put for the of number of cars per week is outpacing the battery production of the 500km pack.

By reducing packs to 400km packs, they produce 5 cars vs 4 cars while still offering the PUP and EAP. Very smart move imho as they scaled up production. I read there's a second line for the battery pack coming online in the new year - most likely the SR line to pump those out to match demand once they've scaled up to 10,000 units.

Exciting times!

Reactions: SmartElectric