Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Today! Q About On-Ramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Tesla today. M3+ with full self driving.

80 miles to get home. Along the way I got off I-40 then got back on. I engaged autopilot at the start of the on-ramp. At the end, where the lane starts to narrow and I'm running over those big white arrows suggesting I merge left, autopilot stayed straight with no signs of merging. I had to take control when I was just starting to run out of runway.

My question is, was this a fluke or is that what it does? (I'll find out for myself in a day or 2 but I want to hear about your experience with on-ramps & autopilot.)

Also discovered that on rural roads with no speed limits posted, the max speed of autopilot is 45mph. Bummer.

Hey, another Q: When I got home and parked, the A/C shut off a minute or so after I got out. I left and came back about 10 minutes later and could hear a faint fan noise. What is this and when should it quit?

Congrats on the new car!

Give AP another try, it might have been a fluke or not fully calibrated yet. What is your firmware version?

For the fan noise, were you charging? It could be the blower cooling the battery.

80 miles to get home. Along the way I got off I-40 then got back on. I engaged autopilot at the start of the on-ramp. At the end, where the lane starts to narrow and I'm running over those big white arrows suggesting I merge left, autopilot stayed straight with no signs of merging. I had to take control when I was just starting to run out of runway.

My question is, was this a fluke or is that what it does? (I'll find out for myself in a day or 2 but I want to hear about your experience with on-ramps & autopilot.)

Also discovered that on rural roads with no speed limits posted, the max speed of autopilot is 45mph. Bummer.

Hey, another Q: When I got home and parked, the A/C shut off a minute or so after I got out. I left and came back about 10 minutes later and could hear a faint fan noise. What is this and when should it quit?

So, technically, you're not supposed to be using AP at all on roads with undivided 2 way traffic (which is generally the type of road you're describing)

THAT said- you can hit the accelerator to make the car exceed 45 and it will continue to autosteer at the higher speed- but will keep popping up warnings that since the pedal is pressed the car will not brake automatically while you're doing that.

With a Tesla, today isn't the last time that you will get a new car. Many software release add enough feature to make the car seem new again.
As a new user, the autopilot functions are going to take a little getting used to. Don't try the challenging things first, just start with autopilot on the Interstate (not on ramps).

Generally speaking, you need to temper your expectations for now on how well EAP can perform under anything but the most simplistic driving requirements — i.e. driving for long distances on a freeway with minimal need for lane changes or merges.

While EAP is definitely better at handling merging lanes than it was ~6 months ago, it’s still not something that I expect the car to handle well, especially when there’s traffic that’s either merging into me or that I’m merging into. It’s a complex task that requires not just sensing your current surroundings but also anticipating what near future surroundings will be, and they just haven’t mastered those algorithms yet.

Enabling Navigate on Autopilot will allow handling of merging much better than standard AP. I use it all the time! I only enable AP/NOA after getting on the highway though because it tends to be a little on the slow side to merge into heavy traffic from my experience