Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S in Ottawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my 120v/15A outlet replaced yesterday with a 240v/20A. What a difference! and for just $250 and without any condo hassle.

Unlike what I expected, I'm getting 18KM/h instead of 16KM/h :smile:. I was able to leave this morning with a fully charged battery (given that I never let it below 100KM range and with 80% standard range).

Incase someone is interested in the setup:
* Replaced NEMA 5-15 with NEMA 6-20
* Ordered 5-20 Adapter from Tesla (to make sure the car doesn't pull more than 16A in case I forget to set it manually)
* Replaced the 15A 1-phase breaker with a 20A 2-phase one (use the neutral as your 2nd phase and colour the wire black or red)
* Create a home made adapter with a 5-20 Female (from Lowe's) to a 6-20 Male (from Home Depot).

That's awesome. I usually dial down my amps to 20 anyways to charge to 80% battery every night.

Also, just to let you know, it isn't good for the battery to be fully charged at 100% (Range Charge) every night. Not sure if that's what you did, but that's how I read the post. :)

That's awesome. I usually dial down my amps to 20 anyways to charge to 80% battery every night.

Also, just to let you know, it isn't good for the battery to be fully charged at 100% (Range Charge) every night. Not sure if that's what you did, but that's how I read the post. :)

Sorry, I'm still not used to Tesla terminologies :) . I wrote 80% standard range, but what I meant is the 80% standard charge, not range charge. Out of curiosity, why do you dial it down to 20A since you have the ability to max it up to 40A or 80A (if you have the wall charger)?

- - - Updated - - -

The charging rate depends on voltage, not just current. My house has 238V whereas our office does only 198V at full power. That's a 20% difference in charge rate.

Exactly, that's why I replaced my 120V (~116V) with a 240V (~238V) with a minimal change in the current (Actual 12A to actual 16A). At the end, it's voltage X current :) .

Out of curiosity, why do you dial it down to 20A since you have the ability to max it up to 40A or 80A (if you have the wall charger)?

Although I did upgrade to the dual chargers, I was talked out of getting the HPWC, so have only used the high amp charging on Sun Country Highway charges on road trips.

There were a few threads started on battery care on this forum, and I felt dialing down the amps would give me two benefits:

- the car would complete charging when I was about to leave in the morning, so it wouldn't be sitting at a high state of charge for very long, which is not good for the battery

- my charging cable was warm at 40 amps, and lowering to 20, or 30 if needing more charge, made me more comfortable.

The charging efficiency almost certainly varies with current. Tests on the Roadster showed that it was least efficient on 110V, probably due to HVAC overhead. Efficiency improves with higher current.

I haven't seen similar data for the Model S, but I would not be surprised to find it is similar. In extreme cold a slower charge rate will probably result in the pack heater running for a longer period of time, and it has substantial consumption.

I just edited this message because new Roadster data was just posted! See:

Charging/Battery Capacity question

Last edited:
The charging efficiency almost certainly varies with current. Tests on the Roadster showed that it was least efficient on 110V, probably due to HVAC overhead. It was also less efficient at the maximum 70A, probably because the air conditioner has to work quite hard to keep the battery cool (and it's very noisy!). The sweat spot is around 30A to 40A.

I haven't seen similar data for the Model S, but I would not be surprised to find it is similar. In extreme cold a slower charge rate will probably result in the pack heater running for a longer period of time, and it has substantial consumption.

Doug_G, since you have good experience with charging and the batteries of Tesla, what do you think my charging rate would be during extreme cold weather conditions given my car will be outdoor and my current charging rate is 18km/h (240v/20A)?

That's 4.8 kW. In extreme cold, if the car is cold-soaked, it could take a good chunk of an hour to warm the car up to charging temperatures (pack above freezing). During that time the pack heater will be consuming all the power (it can pull 6 kW at full power).

After that it depends on whether there's enough "waste heat" from the charging process to maintain the battery pack temperature without operating the pack heater. My guess is that it will have to spend some energy on the pack heater, but it's hard to know how much. Certainly it will be worse in colder conditions. It is also worth noting that the car is subject to a "wind chill" effect. There is a very large area under the car where the pack is exposed; high winds suck the heat out of the car. It is very noticeable in the Roadster, which has a block-shaped battery pack; the effect is much more pronounced in the Model S because of the flat pack design. If your charging location is somewhat protected from the wind that will help.

My guess is that it will probably be okay, but on those really cold days you'll want to get plugged in and charging as soon as you get home. That way the pack will already be warm and you'll have the maximum charging time available.

That's 4.8 kW. In extreme cold, if the car is cold-soaked, it could take a good chunk of an hour to warm the car up to charging temperatures (pack above freezing). During that time the pack heater will be consuming all the power (it can pull 6 kW at full power).

After that it depends on whether there's enough "waste heat" from the charging process to maintain the battery pack temperature without operating the pack heater. My guess is that it will have to spend some energy on the pack heater, but it's hard to know how much. Certainly it will be worse in colder conditions. It is also worth noting that the car is subject to a "wind chill" effect. There is a very large area under the car where the pack is exposed; high winds suck the heat out of the car. It is very noticeable in the Roadster, which has a block-shaped battery pack; the effect is much more pronounced in the Model S because of the flat pack design. If your charging location is somewhat protected from the wind that will help.

My guess is that it will probably be okay, but on those really cold days you'll want to get plugged in and charging as soon as you get home. That way the pack will already be warm and you'll have the maximum charging time available.

I really appreciate your detailed answer. Thanks!

iKhalid: you can experiment by sitting in the car (all bundled up, with the climate control off!) while it charges. Use a stopwatch and a lot of patience and watch what happens with the range estimate. It should be possible to estimate the power draw due to battery heating, very roughly. For example, if the range doesn't change initially then you know it's using roughly 5 kW to heat the battery! I'm not sure how much it uses.

The energy cost of cabin heating is high, by the way. It looks to me that when you turn the interior car heater on full blast (hit the "defog" button twice and the temperature setting goes to "HI"), the draw is about 10 kW. I watched the range go backwards while plugged into a public charger at 6 kW. The good news is, though, that things heat up quickly with 10 kW being pumped into the cabin! It's awesome. :)

4.8 kW probably will warm the interior fairly slowly if it is below freezing. I used to have a Leaf, and it would show instantaneous power usage by accessories, something I wish the Model S did. (The Model S shows total power usage on the power meter in the "speedometer", but that's too small a gauge to read accurately.) The Leaf would typically use 3.5 - 4 kW for cabin heating when first turned on, and after a few minutes drop back to about 1.5 -2 kW to keep the cabin 20 degrees when it's about +5 out. (Hey, I live in Victoria 'cause I can't handle the cold any more! :) ) When it's -10 or -20 out, I'd imagine quite a large power required to heat things up.

Still, if you want to go a long way, heating the interior while plugged in actually makes a big difference.