Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Paint Colors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I LOVE my grey when we first got ours here I'd only seen one other in the he area. Now there is mine and one other and soon to be another in the area. It's a gorg shade of gray because depending on the light it changes colors which is what I love. About it. But I don't want my MS to look like everyone else's car either..

They should make this orderable:

attachment.php?attachmentid=38405&d=1387310749.jpg

Although I love my green, I wish it were 2-3 tones lighter, and I also would like the lighter shades of blue and a real gold and copper. HOWEVER, I wonder if a rate-limiting step is California's draconian VOC rules? It might be the case that the "really nice" colors can be applied effectively only when mixed with the kinds of solvents that Tesla simply cannot use at Fremont.

I don't know the truth of this one way or another - this is 100% conjecture. Has anyone anything more than this WAG regarding same?

Tesla did offer custom colors briefly in 2012. There were a few custom colors in the first 300 VINs or so. Laurent's blue comes to mind. Tesla delivered the car to a 3rd-party paint shop to have it done, and then the car was brought back to the factory to finish the build, QA, etc. At least that's my understanding.

Tesla did offer custom colors briefly in 2012. There were a few custom colors in the first 300 VINs or so. Laurent's blue comes to mind. Tesla delivered the car to a 3rd-party paint shop to have it done, and then the car was brought back to the factory to finish the build, QA, etc. At least that's my understanding.

You are correct. The third-party paint shop was Chilton Auto Body in San Carlos.

Interesting. Does Tesla bake any of their finishes? If so, did they bake yours after it got back from Chilton? Neat stuff, either way.

No, I believe it was all baked at Chilton. It was described to me as: "We took it off the line before the paint shop, shipped it out, brought it back, and put it back on the line after the paint shop."

Just wondering if Tesla plans on coming out with any new paint colors in the near future?

What colors would you like to see?

I'd like to see Tesla get into Custom Factory Paint like they did for me and about a half dozen others before they decided to quit. When the first Sigs came out, there was only one color, red, and then black, grey (silver), and white. I was not willing to do that. I ended up paying significantly for my own choice of color, but I have never been sorry.

I had been told that the grey was going to be more at a gunmetal. Didn't happen.

I have seen gorgeous Taupes, Ivory, Beautiful Blues, Forest Green, Moss Green, Gray blues, Pale pale yellows, and although I am not a red fan, the candy apple they did on the alpha was the most gorgeous red I have seen.

Problem is, their choices are made by people who aren't really color conscious. If they had a Custom Factory Paint, and people could pick from the hundreds of really beautiful colors from PPG or other, and of course be charged for it, you'd see some pretty neat colors. As it is, most humans don't care a whole bunch, so choose Silver (#1), White (#2) or Black (#3). Also, the Dealer Franchise Model tells you that the colors that we have on the lot are what you can choose from, so take your pick. So you pick what the dealer thinks will sell.

Either that, or have Tesla do an official poll, and have people vote for their favorites, based on what the people that buy Teslas would actually like, from a choice of available Automotive Paints. Of course, they can still offer black, grey and white for the colorblind or non caring masses.

If I had not chosen my color, I could have had a P85+, and maybe some other goodies thrown in, but the first thing people say when they see my car is, "I love your color". That's as hard to beat as 0-60 in 3.9 sec.

Home sm.jpg