Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any love?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I read and think about this, the more I think that the upgrades to the P85D will not include the option of a new 90kWh battery. I think we'll be getting a new fuse, a new inconel battery pack "contractor" (whatever the heck that it is - mentioned in summaries of the announcement) and that will be $5,000 + labor and will include ludicrous activation. Why they are forcing new customers to spend another $3,000 on a new pack to get Ludicrous mode (for a total of $13,000) I'm not sure.

The more I read and think about this, the more I think that the upgrades to the P85D will not include the option of a new 90kWh battery. I think we'll be getting a new fuse, a new inconel battery pack "contractor" (whatever the heck that it is - mentioned in summaries of the announcement) and that will be $5,000 + labor and will include ludicrous activation. Why they are forcing new customers to spend another $3,000 on a new pack to get Ludicrous mode (for a total of $13,000) I'm not sure.

Higher margin is the only reason I can think of. 90 kWh pack is not required for existing P85D owners to upgrade to Ludicrous via a $5,000 fuse and contactor upgrade, so it should also not be required for a newly configured P85D. Except, Tesla wants those configuring new P85Ds w/ Ludicrous speed to spend an extra $3,000 for nothing.

I was feeling bad because right after they made my 70D they started putting in LTE hardware when my TM rep had said my car already had the hardware.
I'm told now I'll have to buy a retrofit once it becomes available. This power update for P85D owners is much worse.

Not sure it's worse actually. My P85D was delivered 2 weeks ago and I get ludicrous mode for $5,000 + labor. If I ordered now, I'd have to order a P90D (I have no need for 15 more miles of range) and spend a total of $13,000 to get ludicrous mode. I'm actually happy I ordered when I did.

If the $5k plus labor doesn't include a battery upgrade, then it seems a bit hefty for what amounts to a fuse, a set of contactors and a software update, no? Especially given the fact that many of us were led to believe that the high-speed performance boost (over 60mph) that Ludicrous apparently delivers was more in-line with what we thought were getting with our P85Ds originally...

If the $5k plus labor doesn't include a battery upgrade, then it seems a bit hefty for what amounts to a fuse, a set of contactors and a software update, no? Especially given the fact that many of us were led to believe that the high-speed performance boost (over 60mph) that Ludicrous apparently delivers was more in-line with what we thought were getting with our P85Ds originally...

Bing!

- - - Updated - - -

So I've repeatedly said in Tesla's defense that I was sure they were eventually going to work this out with a software upgrade and they hadn't intentionally mislead us.

It now appears I'm going to have to eat those words. I was wrong. There's nothing else coming for the P85D such that Tesla will meet their obligation of 691 hp.

Tesla could make this partially right by upgrading the existing P85Ds which would get us part way to what we were originally buying but didn't get. Still, I'm pretty irritated by this. It's like pouring salt in the wound and saying not only did we cheat you but we're coming out with a new model that has what we said we sold you but we're not giving it to you unless you pay us more.

When did Tesla promise 2.8 second acceleration with the P85D? I thought it was advertised as 3.2 and Tesla said they were working to make it quicker. They got it down to 3.1 with software but looks like that is the limit.

Bing!

- - - Updated - - -

So I've repeatedly said in Tesla's defense that I was sure they were eventually going to work this out with a software upgrade and they hadn't intentionally mislead us.

It now appears I'm going to have to eat those words. I was wrong. There's nothing else coming for the P85D such that Tesla will meet their obligation of 691 hp.

Tesla could make this partially right by upgrading the existing P85Ds which would get us part way to what we were originally buying but didn't get. Still, I'm pretty irritated by this. It's like pouring salt in the wound and saying not only did we cheat you but we're coming out with a new model that has what we said we sold you but we're not giving it to you unless you pay us more.

It beats the performance of the car when you ordered it by 0.1 seconds. Sure they were using numbers generated at the motor but why is this something to be upset about? 3.1 seconds is rather good performance regardless of what the HP is.

When did Tesla promise 2.8 second acceleration with the P85D? I thought it was advertised as 3.2 and Tesla said they were working to make it quicker. They got it down to 3.1 with software but looks like that is the limit.

Who said anything about 2.8 seconds. He's talking about the 691 hp that is really only 530 hp and hence results in a car that passes from 50-90 like a car that has 1 hp for every 9 rather than the 1 hp for every 7 lbs that we were buying. I don't need faster 0-60. I need to not get creamed by that RS7 that is trying to rollon pass me from 60-80. The P85D as is is quite a bit slower than the 560 hp car that shouldn't be faster but is.

- - - Updated - - -

It beats the performance of the car when you ordered it by 0.1 seconds. Sure they were using numbers generated at the motor but why is this something to be upset about? 3.1 seconds is rather good performance regardless of what the HP is.

Yes, I'm perfectly happy with the 0-60 times. Not so happy getting creamed by cars on the freeway from 60 -80 MPH in the Bay Area that the P85D should have easily dispatched had it actually lived up to it's hp claims which it doesn't even come close.

Bing!

- - - Updated - - -

x2 to that

The problem is not the 0-60 times. But the poor performance above 60 mph that is far from what to expect from a 691 hp car. When driving on the autobahn I cant follow cars that only have about 400hp above 80 mph.

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any ...

Bing!

- - - Updated - - -

It does appear this way, I agree. If they can upgrade the hardware without upgrading the pack, it seems like Tesla should just offer this for free. If you want the extra 5 kWh, that we should pay for it. But if it requires the 90kWh pack to get the 691 hp, then I'm torn. Sigh.

So I just got a phonecall from Tesla.

First of all she thought I had an 85D, (actually a P85D) and she called to ask if I wanted to upgrade to 90D.

Then upon explaining what I actually had, she offered me an upgrade to the P90D (for $3k) and to the P90D w/Ludicrous Mode for $13k.

There is so much misinformation going around, I wish Tesla would've released a presskit detailing what can and cannot be done.

So I just got a phonecall from Tesla.

First of all she thought I had an 85D, (actually a P85D) and she called to ask if I wanted to upgrade to 90D.

Then upon explaining what I actually had, she offered me an upgrade to the P90D (for $3k) and to the P90D w/Ludicrous Mode for $13k.

There is so much misinformation going around, I wish Tesla would've released a presskit detailing what can and cannot be done.
Does this means that all x85x can be upgraded to x90x for 3k?

It's a pretty good bet that they'll soon stop making the 85kWh pack and that the regular 85 will software limited for a while. Eventually all 85 variants will only be sold new as 90 variants. You'll probably still have to upgrade to Ludicrous though.

If you're looking for a track car, you can get out the door with a P90D for as low as $119,200 (incl D&RDF). That's a more compelling statement IMO.

Looking here...

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The closest three in pricing are more carts than cars:
  • ~$160,000 Ariel Atom 500 V8
  • ? Caterham 7 620 R
  • ~$130,000 BAC MONO

Nissan GT-R is cheaper. You can have one for $103,365. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds

Nissan GT-R Reviews - Nissan GT-R Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver