Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any love?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla configurator is acting up right now. It listed a P90D in place of the P85D and then required the addition of the $10,000 insane mode and the 90kWh battery for another $3,000 (but this is confusing because it said you need the 85kWh battery to upgrade). Went back to the configurator a few minutes ago and it's back to a P85D with the ability to upgrade the pack and add Ludicrous mode.

So are existing P85D owners going to end up in a better place financially - might be the case if the $5,000 + labor figure Musk mentioned gets us the 90kWh battery and Ludicrous mode. But if Ludicrous mode costs another $10,000 on top of the $5,000 + labor figure, then that's not so great.

All quite unclear at this point.

The Tesla configurator is acting up right now. It listed a P90D in place of the P85D and then required the addition of the $10,000 insane mode and the 90kWh battery for another $3,000 (but this is confusing because it said you need the 85kWh battery to upgrade). Went back to the configurator a few minutes ago and it's back to a P85D with the ability to upgrade the pack and add Ludicrous mode.

So are existing P85D owners going to end up in a better place financially - might be the case if the $5,000 + labor figure Musk mentioned gets us the 90kWh battery and Ludicrous mode. But if Ludicrous mode costs another $10,000 on top of the $5,000 + labor figure, then that's not so great.

Yeah, very confusing. For current P85D owners, is it:

A) pay $5000k plus labor to upgrade to ludicrous speed 2.8 seconds (i.e. 90kwh not required)
B) pay $5000k plus labor AND pay $3000k (or more?) for 90kwh battery pack to get ludicrous speed 2.8 seconds (90kwh mandatory)
C) pay $5000k plus labor to get a little bit short of ludicrous speed, maybe 2.95 seconds (because the last 0.15 second different is due to the optional 90kwh pack)

Not withstanding issues with configurator now, I think from the conference it was clear that to get a new "ludicrous" mode with 90kWh capacity, it will cost P85D + $3000 90kWh upgrade + $10000 ludicrous mode. Now whether they want to do it that way or as a P90D (which costs $3000 more than P85D) + $10000 for ludicrous mode is up to them.

For the existing P85Ds, I see two scenarios:
1) $5000 ludicrous mode +labor (90kWh upgrade is "free" or not required)
2) $5000 ludicrous mode +$3000 90kWh + labor.

I'm not seeing how you get $15000.

Has anyone confirmed that these upgrades will change the name of the car to a P90D? Maybe Tesla will keep the P85D name? That's what the configurator is showing now - a P85D with the option of a 90kWh battery upgrade and a separate option for Ludicrous mode for $10,000 (which requires the battery upgrade).

Not withstanding issues with configurator now, I think from the conference it was clear that to get a new "ludicrous" mode with 90kWh capacity, it will be P85D + $3000 90kWh upgrade + $10000 ludicrous mode. Now whether they want to do it that way or as a P90D (which costs $3000 more than P85D) + $10000 for ludicrous mode is up to them.

For the existing P85Ds, I see two scenarios:
1) $5000 ludicrous mode +labor (90kWh upgrade is "free" or not required)
2) $5000 ludicrous mode +$3000 90kWh + labor.

I'm not seeing how you get $15000.

I got to $15,000 as a worst case scenario because apparently Musk mentioned "$5,000 + labor." The only labor component I see is the battery pack replacement. So that indicates to me that the $5,000 + labor was to replace the battery. So the $10,000 would be if we were charged the full $10,000 for Ludicrous mode on top of that.

What I don't understand is the new HP ratings. If you configure a P85D with the new order screens it shows as having 762 HP (259 front, 503 rear). You don't have to select ludicrous to get this HP rating. Did Tesla upgrade the P85D base hp? If so, it doesn't seem to translate into better 0-60 (still listed at 3.1 seconds).

I noticed that as well. Right after the configurator was updated, it actually replaced the P85D logo with a P90D logo. I'm guessing that when they changed it back they left the HP figures for the P85D upgraded to Ludicrous mode with a bigger battery. I don't think the motors are different - the HP rating is based upon what the motors can draw from the battery.

Has anyone confirmed that these upgrades will change the name of the car to a P90D? Maybe Tesla will keep the P85D name? That's what the configurator is showing now - a P85D with the option of a 90kWh battery upgrade and a separate option for Ludicrous mode for $10,000 (which requires the battery upgrade).

The Design Studio shows P90D if you select the battery upgrade.

I got to $15,000 as a worst case scenario because apparently Musk mentioned "$5,000 + labor." The only labor component I see is the battery pack replacement. So that indicates to me that the $5,000 + labor was to replace the battery. So the $10,000 would be if we were charged the full $10,000 for Ludicrous mode on top of that.
Okay I see what you mean. I guess that is a possibility too since it was unclear whether that $3000 for 90kWh applied to existing owners. I would love to see an actual transcript of the conference instead of just live blogs.

New P90D does 1/4 mile in 10.8 and 0-60 in 2.8s. Question: Does P85D get any ...

What happened to the boldfaced portion of this footnote to Tesla's P85D specs that was removed from Tesla's web site not that long ago?

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Today Musk announced a $10,000 Ludicrous Speed update. It wasn't exactly the "over-the-air firmware update" that was promised above. Am I not reading this correctly?

Mod note: Please stop cross posting this.

What I don't understand is the new HP ratings. If you configure a P85D with the new order screens it shows as having 762 HP (259 front, 503 rear). You don't have to select ludicrous to get this HP rating. Did Tesla upgrade the P85D base hp? If so, it doesn't seem to translate into better 0-60 (still listed at 3.1 seconds).
Most suspected the P85D was battery-limited at the current levels. I've seen articles claiming peak horsepower (whatever that actually is) in the P90D can be maintained all the way up to 60mph whereas in the P85D it tapers off after 30mph. Assuming that's true, you wouldn't expect peak horsepower to change at all until you select the 90kwh option. It wouldn't be the first time the Design Studio displayed incorrect information, or it could be that we just don't fully understand where the HP numbers are coming from yet. May be too early to say at this point.

Today Tesla said the P85D was power limited up to 30 MPH, and with the today's announcement the P90D will be power limited up to 60 MPH. That indicates a performance improvement at higher speed and sounds exactly like what Tesla promised months ago via OTA update. And today we find out it's actually a $13,000 update. If I bought based upon the promise, above, I might be a little upset.

Peak power doesn't hit until 33 MPH (414KW). The new 90 will obviously put out more power but it won't hit it's peak until 60 MPH. Presumably it will still be putting out 414KW at 33 MPH but since it will be able to produce more power beyond that the P90D will continue to climb in power until it peaks at 60 MPH.

- - - Updated - - -

Early reports indicate $5000 for upgrade for existing P85D owners if done in the next 6 months. I guess that is a slight mea culpa on their part for the miscalculation (although I should note Tesla did match their advertised 0-60 and 1/4 mile specs with the P85D and this upgrade gives more performance beyond that).

Perhaps they can do it for free for us P85D owners as we already paid for it but didn't get it upon delivery.

p85d65P.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Most suspected the P85D was battery-limited at the current levels. I've seen articles claiming peak horsepower (whatever that actually is) in the P90D can be maintained all the way up to 60mph whereas in the P85D it tapers off after 30mph. Assuming that's true, you wouldn't expect peak horsepower to change at all until you select the 90kwh option. It wouldn't be the first time the Design Studio displayed incorrect information, or it could be that we just don't fully understand where the HP numbers are coming from yet. May be too early to say at this point.

That's not true. Peak its limited *up* to 33 MPH where it finally hits it's peak and holds that mostly flat until about 90 MPH where it starts to taper off.

My $0.02 is that TM needs to stop playing this horsepower bump game or spin it off to a separate company (Tesla Racing) or something like that. If a third party ran the performance upgrades then original buyers wouldn't feel so hurt about seeing their top of the line performance numbers squashed by a newer or cheaper version. I'm sure there are plenty of people in this forum alone that would just keep upgrading just to get that 1/10th of a second no matter the cost. So it helps customer sentiment and it helps TM focus on other projects.

Separately I think what was really done today is setting the table for Model X pricing. By dropping the entry price they are setting it up for the Model X price to be higher than a Model S, but the Model S will still be the flagship.