Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Noise immediately after 6,500 mile road trip, opinions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ranger just left. I he said this is a known issue, calling "Milling". It is caused by a Bearing. A fix is currently in the works, and it will be just that, a fix. Someone from the service center will be specially trained on the repair, as it is intricate. I was also told it will not cause any drive-ability issues, and that it will just be really annoying until the fix is found.

On other news, had a 20 minute bad bad downpour last night. I opened my trunk hatch this morning, and had a Mini-Niagara Falls pouring out of both handles, the locking mechanism, and both adjustment rubber screw in buffers....... At least it lasted 1 1/2 years for that fix..... Ranger Also told me a re-design fix for the tail lights is available, that should fix the water intrusion issue.

It's past my 1 year for initial problems to lemon the car, but I had enough repeat minor problems that would qualify for lemon law, and more then enough major issues and more minor issues since year one (Now 2 years 1 month 14 days 1 hour and 20 minutes into ownership). Apparently, Wisconsin Lemon Law allows one to file Lemon Law paperwork up to 3 years after purchase/delivery date, as long as met requirements under the first year of ownership of failures/out of service while under warranty.
I have really really really been trying to hold out; but Lemon Law is looking extremely appealing to me right now. I honestly, and it kills me to say this, honestly do not see one of these cars making it to 200,000 miles without nickel and dimeing the owner to death. One would be better off trading it in at 100,000 miles (After the extended warranty is expired), and getting a CPO for another 50,000 or 100,000 (if they let you get extended warranty on a CPO). You will be cheaper off it looks then trying to pay out of pocket. Especially since Tesla wont sell parts to owners. I'm not going to pay $200 deductible to fix the LED's on my charge port, again, after they were just fixed 10,000 miles earlier under original warranty. Likewise, not paying $200 deductible to have a 10th set of tail lights installed due to water intrusion. Failed so many times under warranty, and still water, I consider the problem not fixed, just band-aid'd. Likewise with water inside the trunk hatch.

I rate reliability right now as a 3 out of 10 due to 2 past major failures, and a few Pending Failures/issues that I caught early so they would not become a failure.
I rate overall functionality (Meaning number of minor issues) as a 1 out of 10.
I rate Wear and Tear at a 4 out of 10 (Negative Camber in rear causing excessive tire wear, and had a ball joint go at ~53,000 miles, side post wear, rear seat belts slicing into the trim causing trim coloring to wear off, The number of Failed/Flaky UMC's and more).
I rate vehicle when operating as was originally intended as a 10 out of 10 (Self explanatory for all Tesla Owners).
I rate service as a 10 out of 10 (Though, one should not need to visit service center more then ones own family members...)

Sorry if I am angering anyone by the above (Actually, No I'm not sorry. I call it as I see it/Experience It). Disappointment level has reached a 10 out of 10 :( And for record, I'm about as big of a Tesla Fanboy as one can be.

I know quality has improved drastically with the newer cars. However, Maybe (And this is OPINION) Tesla should SLOW DOWN with developing new features, until they can remedy ALL or the Majority of the EXISTING ONES.

/#Release Frustration

Last edited:
Ouch... Um... Yeah... Reading threads like this make me seriously consider not buying one all together.

As noted in another thread, reading this board gives someone like myself serious pause, very serious pause.

To the OP, you have much, much, much, much more patience with all of your issues that I could even begin to muster... Kudos' to you...

Jeff

Ranger just left. I he said this is a known issue, calling "Milling". It is caused by a Bearing. A fix is currently in the works, and it will be just that, a fix. Someone from the service center will be specially trained on the repair, as it is intricate. I was also told it will not cause any drive-ability issues, and that it will just be really annoying until the fix is found.

On other news, had a 20 minute bad bad downpour last night. I opened my trunk hatch this morning, and had a Mini-Niagara Falls pouring out of both handles, the locking mechanism, and both adjustment rubber screw in buffers....... At least it lasted 1 1/2 years for that fix..... Ranger Also told me a re-design fix for the tail lights is available, that should fix the water intrusion issue.

It's past my 1 year for initial problems to lemon the car, but I had enough repeat minor problems that would qualify for lemon law, and more then enough major issues and more minor issues since year one (Now 2 years 1 month 14 days 1 hour and 20 minutes into ownership). Apparently, Wisconsin Lemon Law allows one to file Lemon Law paperwork up to 3 years after purchase/delivery date, as long as met requirements under the first year of ownership of failures/out of service while under warranty.
I have really really really been trying to hold out; but Lemon Law is looking extremely appealing to me right now. I honestly, and it kills me to say this, honestly do not see one of these cars making it to 200,000 miles without nickel and dimeing the owner to death. One would be better off trading it in at 100,000 miles (After the extended warranty is expired), and getting a CPO for another 50,000 or 100,000 (if they let you get extended warranty on a CPO). You will be cheaper off it looks then trying to pay out of pocket. Especially since Tesla wont sell parts to owners. I'm not going to pay $200 deductible to fix the LED's on my charge port, again, after they were just fixed 10,000 miles earlier under original warranty. Likewise, not paying $200 deductible to have a 10th set of tail lights installed due to water intrusion. Failed so many times under warranty, and still water, I consider the problem not fixed, just band-aid'd. Likewise with water inside the trunk hatch.

I rate reliability right now as a 3 out of 10 due to 2 past major failures, and a few Pending Failures/issues that I caught early so they would not become a failure.
I rate Wear and Tear at a 4 out of 10 (Negative Camber in rear causing excessive tire wear, and had a ball joint go at ~53,000 miles, side post wear, rear seat belts slicing into the trim causing trim coloring to wear off, The number of Failed/Flaky UMC's and more).
I rate vehicle when operating as was originally intended as a 10 out of 10 (Self explanatory for all Tesla Owners).
I rate service as a 10 out of 10 (Though, one should not need to visit service center more then ones own family members...)

Sorry if I am angering anyone by the above (Actually, No I'm not sorry. I call it as I see it/Experience It). Disappointment level has reached a 10 out of 10 :( And for record, I'm about as big of a Tesla Fanboy as one can be.

I know quality has improved drastically with the newer cars. However, Maybe (And this is OPINION) Tesla should SLOW DOWN with developing new features, until they can remedy ALL or the Majority of the EXISTING ONES.

/#Release Frustration
Did the ranger mention which bearing? It does not sound like a rotor bearing to my ears as per posts on the previous page.

I echo your sentiment about 100%. These cars are awesome, but unless Tesla sells parts over the counter so one can fix DIY, the cost of ownership will make a Ferrari look like it's cheap to own....
The fixes for a lot of the issues I have encountered are band-aids at best, and fixing the same problem every 10k miles is unsustainable.

I hope Tesla gets their 5hit together, because it would be a shame for the company to fold because of a few stupid decisions that are easily foreseeable.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch... Um... Yeah... Reading threads like this make me seriously consider not buying one all together.

As noted in another thread, reading this board gives someone like myself serious pause, very serious pause.

To the OP, you have much, much, much, much more patience with all of your issues that I could even begin to muster... Kudos' to you...

Jeff
The car is truly awesome. You will only regret not getting one sooner, especially with all of the great CPO deals out there.

That's a very concerning statement, to me. The "milling noise" is at least a year old, the first reference I could find in Google for "milling noise" was in July of 2014. An entire year has passed since the issue was first understood, and Tesla is only now rolling out a fix? I've had three DUs replaced already, the last was in February and was replaced with a brand new, factory fresh unit. All were for droning above 65 MPH. Have I simply traded one problem for another?

islandbayy, I don't blame you one bit for wanting to invoke the lemon law in your situation. But before you do that, can you try and contact Elon Musk directly regarding your vehicle and all of the issues you've had? Or if you aren't inclined to give Tesla any more opportunities, maybe it's time to tweet your experience to @ElonMusk on Twitter. I find that he tends to take action immediately when put on the spot in public. I think your situation definitely rises to that level.

I know this will probably not happen, but Tesla should comp you a new car. In 2012, Blankenship had new cars built for owners who were dissatisfied with the condition of vehicles upon delivery. I believe one gentleman received a dirty car with a few initial quality issues, and was promptly offered a new one off the line and with no financial penalty. Of course, that was a different time, and perhaps more extraordinary measures were needed in order to mitigate bad word of mouth. I certainly hope and wish for you to get that type of outcome here.

I would be happy to sign a petition if that would help get you a new car.

Minor data point... As I have gone through drive units, the Tesla part number has gone from:1025276-00-A on 5-8-2014 to 1025276-00-M on 6-22-2015. Same part number with different rev levels like the batteries have gone through? This may indicate that Tesla has been trying to get this issue resolved but has thus far failed. The issue has certainly been going on for more than a year, as I can attest.

/#Release Frustration

You mention a few things that really resonated with me and I'm sure others on here as well. I came to a lot of your same conclusions, but more like within 6 months of ownership and half as many miles. I just cant see this car not being ridiculously expensive out-of-warranty. And even if you take the money out of the equation (which some can), the inconvenience of things just not working right, or not at all would take a huge time toll on an owner. My list so far just to get the car right like it should have been from the factory and take care of the things that keep not working is something like 18 visits in 9 months. The service center practically is family to me now.

Regardless, I still maintain that not a single problem has caused a major enough issue for the car to be un-drive-able; which is a very good thing to me. But you are right in that your experience/perception is your reality and you should call it like you see it. It doesn't matter what someone else is or is not dealing with as far as problems go.

The advice for Tesla to "slow down" should be strongly heeded. Unfortunately, they have to keep that stock price up and the perception in place that their cars are rock solid. I'm a big fan of the Model S and I still maintain that it would be extremely difficult to go back to driving anything else. But that goodwill equity that Tesla has with me gets squandered and eaten away every time something goes wrong.

Did the ranger mention which bearing? It does not sound like a rotor bearing to my ears as per posts on the previous page.

I echo your sentiment about 100%. These cars are awesome, but unless Tesla sells parts over the counter so one can fix DIY, the cost of ownership will make a Ferrari look like it's cheap to own....
The fixes for a lot of the issues I have encountered are band-aids at best, and fixing the same problem every 10k miles is unsustainable.

I hope Tesla gets their 5hit together, because it would be a shame for the company to fold because of a few stupid decisions that are easily foreseeable.

Not specifically as far as I remember. Really to me, it sounds electrical, like Inverter. But he has seen this before, so I will go by his word.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very concerning statement, to me. The "milling noise" is at least a year old, the first reference I could find in Google for "milling noise" was in July of 2014. An entire year has passed since the issue was first understood, and Tesla is only now rolling out a fix? I've had three DUs replaced already, the last was in February and was replaced with a brand new, factory fresh unit. All were for droning above 65 MPH. Have I simply traded one problem for another?

islandbayy, I don't blame you one bit for wanting to invoke the lemon law in your situation. But before you do that, can you try and contact Elon Musk directly regarding your vehicle and all of the issues you've had? Or if you aren't inclined to give Tesla any more opportunities, maybe it's time to tweet your experience to @ElonMusk on Twitter. I find that he tends to take action immediately when put on the spot in public. I think your situation definitely rises to that level.

I know this will probably not happen, but Tesla should comp you a new car. In 2012, Blankenship had new cars built for owners who were dissatisfied with the condition of vehicles upon delivery. I believe one gentleman received a dirty car with a few initial quality issues, and was promptly offered a new one off the line and with no financial penalty. Of course, that was a different time, and perhaps more extraordinary measures were needed in order to mitigate bad word of mouth. I certainly hope and wish for you to get that type of outcome here.

I would be happy to sign a petition if that would help get you a new car.

The fix could be complete, he did mention special training was needed for the fix, so possibly, the "Fix Coming Soon" could mean that one of the service centers techs are going to be or are in the process of being trained for the repair.
I will say, no clunks from this DU though :) So if whatever fix gets rid of the milling noise, I'm fine with keeping this drive unit. I just worry about a brake down with my two small children with me. Specifically, Winter. I can handle heat, it's the cold, that can, well, get really cold really really fast.

As for trying to contact Elon, or Jerome etc... Despite what it may look like or sound like, and complaints to service center, regional etc... over the past two years, I really hate stirring up trouble, being annoying, and hate being "that guy". While I get along good with everyone at the Service Center, I know every time I call, I can just picture the Face Palm and the thought, "Oh Great, What broke This time" going through their heads.... I hate being that guy and it goes against my natural instincts. Once I snap of course.... That is rare.... Has happened and I don't like letting that side of myself out, as it's hard to put back in Haha. In general, I'm Mr. Nice Guy. I also know Elon has better things to fill his time. I will say it was a absolute Pleasure Meeting him in January! Jerome as well! Both Jerome and Elon are amazing people!

Thats interesting to know about the early deliveries.

One of my viewers called me Chief Nitpicker, was I believe how it was worded. Maybe Tesla would hire me to Nitpick??? It was part of a previous job function at a Custom Body Shop. I was in charge of Nit Picking Custom Cars before they would be released to the customer. I am great for picking out everything everyone else misses :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's the sound mine made at slow speeds. If your service center has enough space in it, they can rebuild it there. It's a shim alignment.
Shim alignment was for the Clunk when accel and decel. My old DU had that done, lasted 2 weeks :(

- - - Updated - - -

Minor data point... As I have gone through drive units, the Tesla part number has gone from:1025276-00-A on 5-8-2014 to 1025276-00-M on 6-22-2015. Same part number with different rev levels like the batteries have gone through? This may indicate that Tesla has been trying to get this issue resolved but has thus far failed. The issue has certainly been going on for more than a year, as I can attest.
You drive about what I do, give or take a tiny bit. It's interesting to see such a jump in DU Letters.

You mention a few things that really resonated with me and I'm sure others on here as well. I came to a lot of your same conclusions, but more like within 6 months of ownership and half as many miles. I just cant see this car not being ridiculously expensive out-of-warranty. And even if you take the money out of the equation (which some can), the inconvenience of things just not working right, or not at all would take a huge time toll on an owner. My list so far just to get the car right like it should have been from the factory and take care of the things that keep not working is something like 18 visits in 9 months. The service center practically is family to me now.

Regardless, I still maintain that not a single problem has caused a major enough issue for the car to be un-drive-able; which is a very good thing to me. But you are right in that your experience/perception is your reality and you should call it like you see it. It doesn't matter what someone else is or is not dealing with as far as problems go.

The advice for Tesla to "slow down" should be strongly heeded. Unfortunately, they have to keep that stock price up and the perception in place that their cars are rock solid. I'm a big fan of the Model S and I still maintain that it would be extremely difficult to go back to driving anything else. But that goodwill equity that Tesla has with me gets squandered and eaten away every time something goes wrong.

I saw this too. Though, I did go into ownership of a Tesla knowing it would have "early adopter" bugs, and that they would get worked out. Unfortunately, that process is taking a bit longer then expected. For me, Money for repairs is a major factor, as is the inconvenience. For one, I can't afford to be stuck some place at 0*F with my boys in the car. 7 year old disabled, and my 4 year old (Who has really only ever known a Tesla for transportation). For Money, the nickel and dimeing once warranty is done. Even with the Extended, the $200 deductible, with the random items braking or having faults...
I've had two un-drive-able issues, Battery Failure, another was Plugged in the J1772 adapter and the car decided to go wonky (not even plugged in, just the adapter inserted) and required a tow to the SC, where apparently the car "Fixed" itself the next morning. I was supposed to drive to Detroit for the Int. Auto Show that night, so had to cancel that. Hot out for battery failure, Freezing Cold for the J1772, but luckally it happened in my driveway, and not while in Detroit. No explanation found for why it went into "Lock Down". List goes on.

I am a Fan of the Model S and Tesla as well. It's truly a amazing vehicle. I cant see driving Gas again accept out of absolute necessity. I really want Tesla to get it right, and beat the living crap out of all the others.
And I hear you. I have excessively more patients then most people. However, the goodwill equity as you put it, the glass is running low.

Whats been the redeeming quality so far, and keeping the goodwill jar from going empty, is the people at the service center. I have said it before, and will keep saying it. No matter how many bugs, quirks and faults the cars have, the people at the Service Centers are a amazing bunch, that really go that extra mile, give the personal touch, and really git er done. They are over-worked, under-staffed, and not enough space to handle the workloads they have, and yet, they pull through.
Which reminds me, I need to send another couple boxes of donuts over to highland! Was in a time crunch the last time I was in, tight hand-off schedule.

Last edited:
Since I got back from a 2500 mile road trip, I have noticed a whining sound upon acceleration, but disappears at speed. VIN 52,xxx. Could this be the start of the Drive Unit going bad?
I'm impressed, after posting this I got a call from the local service center to schedule a day to bring my car in to find out what the cause of the noise is.

I have really really really been trying to hold out; but Lemon Law is looking extremely appealing to me right now. I honestly, and it kills me to say this, honestly do not see one of these cars making it to 200,000 miles without nickel and dimeing the owner to death. ...

Hearing this from you is really something. Your videos were among the ones that made me want the car even more before I got it. You are the Tesla fan! I'm really sorry to hear you are at the point where your loyalty comes to an end. But I understand.

I am curious as to just how many different failure scenarios there actually are. My first drive unit was replaced due to a "transformer-like" hum when under power that did dot vary with speed and was only present under power... not when coasting or under re-gen. That felt to me like an electrical problem in the inverter.

My current drive unit developed the "clunk" between acceleration and regen which my Service Center says is "normal" even though my first unit never did this. Subsequently, it has developed a high pitched "angry mosquito" whine that does seem to vary with speed. My SC says this is only a "cosmetic" problem, but will replace my unit at some future point when parts are more readily available. Is this the "milling" problem? It doesn't really sound like "milling" to me and again sounds "electrical" as opposed to "mechanical".

Islandbayy I've said this many times as well. I'm 100% with you. Our cars could possibly be sisters with all the same exact issues they've had. I just two weeks ago had the fix for the water ingress and have washed my car three times and no water ingress which usually happened one wash in after they'd fix it. It requires an entire new piece on the back the chrome piece that says tesla on it but so far so good.

My concern with the drive unit problems is that it took them almost 3 years to come up with an actual fix for just the water ingress and the DU failure is way worse...

i also feel like when I call they think "oh crap what now" especially since when I call it's usually "hi Alyssa" before announcing myself. I feel so bad to this point I usually just email them my issues and then drop the car off. And run.

Last edited:
Islandbayy I've said this many times as well. I'm 100% with you. Our cars could possibly be sisters with all the same exact issues they've had. I just two weeks ago had the fix for the water ingress and have washed my car three times and no water ingress which usually happened one wash in after they'd fix it. It requires an entire new piece on the back the chrome piece that says tesla on it but so far so good.

Many concern with the drive unit problems is that it took them almost 3 years to come up with an actual fix for just the water ingress and the DU failure is way worse...

i mi also feel like when I call they think "oh crap what now" especially since when I call it's usually "hi Alyssa" before announcing myself. I feel so bad to this point I usually just email them my issues and then drop the car off. And run.

+1 for the face palm when I call
+1 for doughnuts
+1 fur service center personnel, with their great attitude, keeping me and my car in the game

Here is the description and serial number from my DU replacement on February 4th, 2015:

ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE
(1002633-01-M)

Service confirmed this was a BRAND NEW unit from the factory, not remanufactured. So far so good after 10,000 miles (knock wood)!

You can buy USB isolators that connect between the USB port (on any device) and your charging cable. This disconnects all of the USB connector pins except for power and ground. Makes the USB port a 'dumb' power supply, but also prevents your device (smartphone, etc) from trying to communicate with the USB bus (Model S). Might help. Look for something like this:

Amazon.com: Plugable USB Universal Fast Charge-Only Adapter for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices: Computers Accessories

Sweet! Bought a bunch of these doo-dads - some that display the voltage and current on the port. Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's the typical sound from the drive unit. I get it over and over. They replaced my drive unit and it came back. Again and again. They replaced my drive unit after 15k, 30k and 45k. Each time the sound starts faint and only audible at low speed and low power acceleration. Over time it gets louder and is audible at higher speeds and any normal acceleration levels. Regen is quiet, though.
The service center will replace the entire drive unit. They said the sound is cosmetic but once it gets to a certain level they consider it bad enough to replace the drive unit. As long as it's just faint, they call it 'withing Tesla's specs'.

I'm at 52k now and I can hear it coming back again. By the time I have 60k I guess I will have to get yet another drive unit. It will be the 5th then. It's honestly disappointing to have a car that needs a drive unit swap every 15k miles because it gets really noisy.

For some reason I believe long road trips make it worse. But maybe it's just because on long road trips you add a lot of miles in a short time.

I hope this isn't a rude question, but do you drive real fast? I'm just wondering if you have a driving habit that's contributing. Did Tesla say anything about how you could prevent it from happening again? They must be wondering why you keep having it when most don't ever have a drive unit replaced. (am I right? I just assume that, maybe I'm wrong). I drive like an old man. 75 is fast for me. I don't stomp it much anymore either - used to do it alot when I first got the car, but now I drive it like I did all my others.