Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYLR battery concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a new 2023 MYLR 7 seat 20inch induction wheel.
Location Alberta,Canada.
Temperature -11degree celcius.
Battery from 50% to 4% at only 95km

Is that normal???
I was expecting a 20%-30% maximum range reduction due to cold this is over 50%

Thank you

At -11C drivers should fully precondition the Tesla Model Y before driving; hopefully using Level 2 (240V) and 32 amp or greater charging, for ~30 to 40 minutes.

Check tire pressure, make sure tire pressure is correct per the label on the A pillar by the driver's door or even a bit higher.

Turn on Recirculate Cabin Air under Climate Control settings. (If the windows fog on the inside you may have to turn Recirculate Cabin air off but if you leave the Climate Control in Auto this should not happen.)

Use the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater; dress warmly and use a moderate degree of cabin heating.

The things that have the greatest impact on range include:

Speed (lower your average highway speed by 10kmph for improved efficiency and range.)

Wind and snow covered roads, wet roads will reduce range as will increases in elevation.

Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) (available on the web and as a phone app) to plan your trip. Stop to use a Supercharger or DC Fast Charger where ABRP indicates you should stop on your trip.

Precondition for Supercharging by always being sure you enter the next Supercharger along the route in the Tesla Navigation system. The Tesla Model Y will start preconditioning (performing an extra degree of warming of the battery pack) until the battery temperature reaches ~50C for optimal (fastest, most efficient) Supercharging. Preconditioning for Supercharging will require a fair number of miles/time of highway driving in colder temperatures. to reach the optimal 50C battery temperature for Supercharging.

Last edited:
I got a new 2023 MYLR 7 seat 20inch induction wheel.
Location Alberta,Canada.
Temperature -11degree celcius.
Battery from 50% to 4% at only 95km

Is that normal???

Thank you

Was this is a single drive cycle or spread out across several drives?

Heating up the interior takes a lot of battery power. This is particularly evident if you take multiple short trips. If you’re taking a long trip, preconditioning (while plugged in) can improve your range by bringing the cabin up to temperature from grid power instead of battery power.

Once outside temp is well below freezing, the efficiency of the heat pump is reduced. The colder it gets, the less efficient it becomes until it reaches ~parity with straight electric resistance heat (coefficient of performance = 1).

Where did the expectation of a 20-30% decrease come from? In my experience, it’s more like 50% around down and 30-40% on the highway. My experience is limited to non-heat pump cars, but again, the two approach parity in very low temperatures.

At -11C should fully precondition the Tesla Model Y before driving; hopefully using Level 2 (240V) and 32 amp or greater charging, for ~30 to 40 minutes.
This is a great recommendation *if* you’re plugged in. If not, it’s basically a waste of battery power.

Check tire pressure, male sure tire pressure is correct per the label on the A pillar by the driver's door or even a bit higher.
Great recommendation. Tire pressure drops as temperature drops, so it’s important to check and top off as winter settles in.

Turn on Recirculate Cabin Air under Climate Control settings. (If the windows fog on the inside you may have to turn Recirculate Cabin air off but if you leave the Climate Control in Auto this should not happen.)
In my experience, while this can reduce cabin heating energy, it’s almost always a recipe for instant window fogging. It’s probably best to leave it in auto even if it uses a little more energy.

Use the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater; dress warmly.

The things that have the greatest impact on range include:

Speed (lower your average highway speed by 10kmph for improved efficiency and range.)

Wind and snow covered roads, wet roads will reduce range as will increases in elevation.

Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) (available on the web and as a phone app) to plan your trip. Stop to use a Supercharger or DC Fast Charger where ABRP indicates you should stop on your trip.

Precondition for Supercharging by always being sure you enter the next Supercharger along the route in the Tesla Navigation system. The Tesla Model Y will start preconditioning (performing an extra degree of warming of the battery pack) until the battery temperature reaches ~50C for optimal (fastest, most efficient) Supercharging. Preconditioning for Supercharging will require a fair number of miles/time of highway driving in colder temperatures. to reach the optimal 50C battery temperature for Supercharging.
👍

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
neg 11 C is really cold - EV's have made progress in cold weather, but not there yet for a 'jump in and go' driver
Not really that cold, at least here in Edmonton (same location as OP). We usually hit -40C at least once in the season and -20C to -25C sustained for days on end.

There is quite a range loss in cold weather but for my purpose I would say the MY is there. We typically drive between 30km and 50km per day.

My recent long trip was about 520km (325mi) in -25C and I only needed to stop twice for around 15 mins (110km/hr highway). Teslafi showed my efficiency varied between 52% and 65% (warmed up to -15C as drive progressed). On the way home (same trip reversed) I was able to do it in one stop (albeit longer and only -10C).

My temperature efficiency thus far this winter has been around 60% to 65% for temps in the -10C range, I think 20% loss at those temps is overly-optimistic.

Not enough info given (multi-trip, parked in garage vs outside, speed, interior temp, etc) but as others noted reduce speed and use seat heating to improve efficiency.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yep, that is missing information. Single vs multi-trips is the most important one IMO. If I look at TeslaFi's temperature efficiency graph for drives over 25km I get over 63% of the EPA efficiency at those temperatures. If I check all drives over 2km then that drops to 50% of EPA. Note that even at +25C I only get 82% of EPA efficiency because I drive over the limit.
Those 20" wheels won't help either, whatever the temperature. Driving speed etc affect consumption whatever the temperature.

neg 11 C is really cold - EV's have made progress in cold weather, but not there yet for a 'jump in and go' driver
Whoa, hold it. It depends on what you mean. EVs are wonderful and advantageous for that "jump in and go" driver aspect as far as operation and reliability. They are instant start and very reliable even in very cold conditions, without needing warmup periods. But they don't produce much excess waste heat like combustion engines do, so energy consumption goes really high in cold conditions, so the "not there yet" comment can apply to not being very close to EPA rated efficiency conditions or range.

Reactions: jjrandorin