Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYLR Charging and Battery Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I finally took delivery of my 2023 MYLR. The battery had 87% charge at delivery and lost about 20% on the 35 mike drive home.

Charged for the first time last night (80%) with the Tesla Mobile Charger 14-50 outlet.

Was originally charging at 32amps/7kWh, but noticed that things seemed a bit warm. I reduced charging to 20amps and checked conditions about 20 mins later and found the following:
Breaker in panel at 102F
14-50 outlet plate 108F
14-50 plug 114F
Charger 127 (back of charger)
Cable from charger to car 102F

Drove 30 miles to work this morning and went from 80% to 70%. Drove a few miles to grab lunch and now vehicle is at 62%.

Sentry mode is off. Midway through the day I turned cabin overheat protection to on without AC (was previously set to on).

Currently the battery is at 62% and states 203 miles range. But if I’m getting 30 miles per 10% of usage, this would mean that I’d have about 180 miles, right?

Do the miles and battery usage seem right?

Do the breaker, outlet, plug, charger, and cable temps seem high? Everything I read is warm is okay, hot is not. But warm and hot are subjective. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Short drives are the worst as far as energy usage (must heat up or cool down the passenger cabin only to have to do it again a short while later.)

Your Tesla Model Y battery pack is so new that the vehicle's battery management system (BMS) has not been able to collect any data on the state of the battery over a range of state of charge when parked, in Sleep mode (with Sentry turned off.) The BMS will periodically, when the Tesla vehicle is parked, in Sleep mode, measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the battery pack.

If you leave Sentry mode turned on the Tesla Model Y remains awake (in Standby mode and never enters Sleep mode.) Energy consumption in Standby mode is 10X higher than when in Sleep mode, about 5.5kWh per 24 hours when Sentry mode is turned on and the Tesla Model Y remains in Standby mode.

Once in a while charge to above 95%. Cell balancing will take place after charging has been completed. Cell balancing and the OCV measurements over a wide range of the state of charge of the battery will better enable the BMS to determine the state of the battery.

The temperature of your charging circuit, Tesla Mobile Connector equipment is normal while charging (especially in summer.) You can continue to lower the charging amperage if you prefer but there is no problem with charging at the rated 32 amps on a 50 amp rated circuit and 14-50 receptacle. (Don't let the Tesla Mobile Connector hang from the 14-50 receptacle supported by the 14-50 power plug adapter. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis.)

Don't be concerned about charging above 95% if you plan to drive once charging has completed. There is no issue with driving with the battery state of charge at or below 20% (Cabin Overheat Protection and Sentry mode will be disabled when the battery is below 20%.) The Tesla Model Y will nag you to plug in soon to charge. Varying state of charge levels will provide the BMS with as much data as possible, especially with a new battery.

Although Tesla recommends daily charging nothing bad will happen if you skip a day (even 2) between charging your Tesla Model Y. How else could you leave your Tesla Model Y at the airport, unplugged? (You can, as long as you disable Sentry mode the battery drain is ~1% per 7 days while parked. Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after you park the Tesla Model Y.)

Be sure to try using a Supercharger. You must have a valid credit card or debit card saved on your Tesla account to use the Supercharger network. Better to find out now, not when you are taking a trip, if there is an issue with your Tesla account or with the Tesla Model Y when Supercharging.

Last edited:
First, Chill. Enjoy the car before worrying about it.

Things do get warm when carrying that amount of current. The car does have the circuitry to determine if there is too much voltage drop and will automatically lower the charging rate if it needs to.

Ignore the mileage in the left screen, upper right window. Better yet, touch it and change it to percent. The number is based on EPA averages for the car and it will be wrong.

A better place to look is the energy graphs, but don't go there yet. Just drive the car and enjoy it. Charge at night when you get home and unless you are travelling more than 250 miles per day, just enjoy the car.

In a couple of weeks, you can go to the Energy graphs and it will show you a much better guess as to what's going on. Why do I say a couple of weeks? Because it is pretty much guaranteed that you are going to have a heavy pedal for awhile. You are just going to have to see how fast you are at every stop light.

So a few basics,
  • For about every 5 mph over 60 mph that you go, expect a 10% decrease in range. But it really doesn't matter.
  • When it gets cooler in the winter, expect about a 30% decrease in range. But it doesn't matter.
  • If you turn sentry on, it will use a lot of power. But it really doesn't matter.
Why don't they matter? Because you are charging at home each evening and you should have plenty of reserve every day.
If you are on a long trip, there are very few locations where Superchargers are 100 miles apart, the majority are now 50 miles and there are many places in the country where they are 20 miles apart (and many places in Virginia are like that). It's becoming harder to run out of power every day.

After a few weeks, get out and take a trip, this is summer after all. Get out and enjoy it. Take at least a 500 mile trip, better yet a 500 mile each way trip. Go down and see the Smokies, spend a few nights in Pigeon Forge

Enjoy the car.

did you get my hint? Enjoy the car, stop worrying about it.
I'm near Atlanta, I know that I would have absolutely no worries about jumping in my car right now and driving to your house. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Why are all your numbers off? I didn't read through all of them, but I can guarantee that you aren't looking at the right spot and not yet thinking about everything? Short trips aren't the greatest right now, because initial cooling of the car becomes an issue.

@jcanoe @ewoodrick @dafish thank you so much for taking the time to respond and detail everything! I feel very grateful for this community and hope to learn enough over time to contribute as you all have to help this newb out!

I was a career firefighter for 17 years and leaving this car charging in an attached garage while we sleep terrifies me.

I am home earlier today and should have the vehicle charged by the time I go to bed, which will help me relax a little.

I’ll keep an eye on it today and will double check the 6/3 wire connections in the outlet and in the panel if it seems to get warmer than it should.

I will also trust the process and try to enjoy the vehicle!!!

Thank you all so much!!!

Reactions: yellowr6
If it would help, consider installing a heat alarm in the garage, ideally tied into your wired home smoke alarms, if you have those. This is in lieu of a standard smoke alarm that can give false alarms when installed in garages.

I have nest alarms through the house that are hardwired for power, but connect to each other wirelessly. I was going to get one for the garage, which is currently the only space in the house without a detector. This would be problematic because there is a fire rated door from the garage to the house along with interior walls, which would allow a fire that originated in the garage to burn longer before setting off an alarm in the house.

This will be resolved very soon!

What type of 14-50 outlet do you have? There have been issues with cheap big box store versions. A heavy or commercial duty is best if you plan to plug and unplug the mobile connector frequently. A better option if you are really concerned is to get a HPWC was this eliminates the plug and outlet connection and as a benefit allows for slightly faster charging so it might finish while you are awake. Most states offer incentives for charging equipment that can offset the cost and since you already have a 14-50 installation would be simple.

@jcanoe @ewoodrick @dafish thank you so much for taking the time to respond and detail everything! I feel very grateful for this community and hope to learn enough over time to contribute as you all have to help this newb out!

I was a career firefighter for 17 years and leaving this car charging in an attached garage while we sleep terrifies me.

I am home earlier today and should have the vehicle charged by the time I go to bed, which will help me relax a little.

I’ll keep an eye on it today and will double check the 6/3 wire connections in the outlet and in the panel if it seems to get warmer than it should.

I will also trust the process and try to enjoy the vehicle!!!

Thank you all so much!!!
But yet you keep your phone on the charger are night? Your laptop plugged in. Your tool batteries are plugged in.

The chances of a Tesla battery fire while charging is infinitesimally small. I don't think that I've heard of one happening. A fire in the power cabling would be more likely, but even there, the car will detect a voltage drop and drop the charging current appropriately.

This is unlike some of the other EVs that aren't quite as smart.

Warm is not a problem. Hot is the problem. My test is if you can hold your hand on whatever you are checking for a minute, then there really shouldn't be a problem. If you can't keep your hand on it, then there is a problem. All of the temperatures that you measured are well within reason. Even at 127F, wood is not know to spontaneously erupt in fire. There are often heat waves that are above 115 in some areas.

I dare say that since it appears you have an infrared thermometer, that you have measured the temperature in a car while sitting in the sun. Weren't they significantly higher?

I've had friends who have worked at Public Health. Many of them tend to become completely paranoid of the world when you continually hear about what can occur. I've had friends in Fire and one PIO will not stay in a hotel above the third floor.

What type of 14-50 outlet do you have? There have been issues with cheap big box store versions. A heavy or commercial duty is best if you plan to plug and unplug the mobile connector frequently. A better option if you are really concerned is to get a HPWC was this eliminates the plug and outlet connection and as a benefit allows for slightly faster charging so it might finish while you are awake. Most states offer incentives for charging equipment that can offset the cost and since you already have a 14-50 installation would be simple.

I have the Hubble commercial outlet as well as an industrial 50 amp breaker.

Thanks for pointing that out and asking! The cheap 14-50 outlets certainly aren’t made for the heavy usage that electric vehicles bring

But yet you keep your phone on the charger are night? Your laptop plugged in. Your tool batteries are plugged in.

The chances of a Tesla battery fire while charging is infinitesimally small. I don't think that I've heard of one happening. A fire in the power cabling would be more likely, but even there, the car will detect a voltage drop and drop the charging current appropriately.

This is unlike some of the other EVs that aren't quite as smart.

Warm is not a problem. Hot is the problem. My test is if you can hold your hand on whatever you are checking for a minute, then there really shouldn't be a problem. If you can't keep your hand on it, then there is a problem. All of the temperatures that you measured are well within reason. Even at 127F, wood is not know to spontaneously erupt in fire. There are often heat waves that are above 115 in some areas.

I dare say that since it appears you have an infrared thermometer, that you have measured the temperature in a car while sitting in the sun. Weren't they significantly higher?

I've had friends who have worked at Public Health. Many of them tend to become completely paranoid of the world when you continually hear about what can occur. I've had friends in Fire and one PIO will not stay in a hotel above the third floor.

All good points. However, aside from my cell phone that charged on my night stand, all other batteries only charge while I’m awake and in close proximity.

My concerns with the Tesla charging aren’t surrounded around the vehicle or vehicle battery. I was worried that the warmth of the plug, Charger, etc might indicate a bad breaker, outlet, or 6/3 cable and if one of those fail, it could then start a fire.

My experiences in the fire department certainly okay a role in my hesitation… it’s hard to ignore significant loss especially when you have been regularly exposed.

Many thanks for all of your help!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm having severe battery drain since one update 2023.20.4 and it drops over 30 miles daily with my MYLR. I'm sure that I turned off sentry mode, precondition and cabin overheat protection and I parked in underground garage with around 60F.

I've tried several possible solutions:
1. restart
2. reset password to TSLA acct to remove access from 3rd party apps.
3. turn off data sharing

Nothing worked. The update(2023.20.4) also brings some issue with the sensor but it got fixed with later OTA update. I tried to create service request under battery reason but it keeps on running diagnoses and tell me I cannot create any service appointment. I also called tesla over phone but on one picked up for over 30 minutes.

Currently the system version is 2023.20.8. The attached image shows the battery drain for around 8 hours.

Any idea?

Attachments

• mmexport1689804461951.jpg
    mmexport1689804461951.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 521