Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y LR Poor Mileage in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even reccurent gives real world ranges of 180 to 260
Model Y Long Range
I agree. A lot depends on the weather conditions, highway driving speed, number of passengers, and overhead loading conditions. That is why, my real-world usable range is between 150 to 200 miles. I'm generally heading towards a charger as soon I see the orange colored initial warning at 20% SoC.

Outside Temperature and Highway Driving speed effect these a lot.
If I am around town I get about 250 watts per mile . If I am fully loaded
with windsurfing gear with a board on the racks at high way speed I get
350 watts per mile . On a 145 mile loop at highway speed I will use about
230 miles of range . If I charge to 300 miles range that leaves me with
about 70 miles when I get home . I expected this but it is a little worse than
I expected. The electric mile rating on these are pure fiction in comparison
with real world miles . The standards they use in China and Europe are even
worse. This is why I wanted to hold out for a 400 mile range to get 300 real worldbut California gas prices and the recent discounts and rebates made me
get tired of waiting. Even reccurent gives real world ranges of 180 to 260
Model Y Long Range

The rated EPA miles are optimistic, but they also include city use, which in an EV is more efficient. So even starting from EPA assumptions the highway range is less. And then real highway use is typically at faster speeds than EPA assumptions.

BTW the Model Y is notably less efficient on the highway than the 3 because of aerodynamics, more than the nominal ranges would suggest. I can get 300 on SoCal freeway driving on a 3LR.

I have a 2023 Model Y LR that I got in February. Just in the past few days, the efficiency seems to have dropped quite a lot. The past few days were very humid, so I'm wondering if the A/C was working extra hard and that might have caused the range drop? The battery percentage seems to be dropping a lot quicker recently than it ever had been prior to the last few days. I'm trying to figure out some likely reasons why. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 2023 Model Y LR that I got in February. Just in the past few days, the efficiency seems to have dropped quite a lot. The past few days were very humid, so I'm wondering if the A/C was working extra hard and that might have caused the range drop? The battery percentage seems to be dropping a lot quicker recently than it ever had been prior to the last few days. I'm trying to figure out some likely reasons why. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Do you have efficiency numbers to back up your thoughts? The data is available.

AC alone shouldn’t be a huge energy sink, especially since it is temperature based not humidity based. Are you driving different routes? Have you changed any settings? Turned on Sentry?

Saying that you think the battery is draining faster doesn’t tell much and there’s nothing anyone can suggest unless you provide more data.

Ummmm. Tesla's EPA ratings are the most precise of all EVs, according to Edmunds' test that simulates the EPA drive.

Know how you look good in an article like the one above? Post terrible, understated EPA ranges. Tesla actually posts good EPA numbers, and morons attack them for it.

If you drive an EV at around 60 - 65 MPH, you will get pretty close to the published EPA range if they did it right. Every 5 MPH faster cuts like 10% to 15% from stated EPA range. And extreme temperatures cut 10% to 20% from stated EPA range. It's all just simple math.

Yep. Testing using different parameters than the EPA will yield results that are different than the EPA, that's kind of obvious. The EPA test doesn't use AC/heat and simulates driving at conservative speeds. Driving significantly faster and using AC/heat will obviously raise consumption, on all EVs, to various degrees.
It is useful information to know how many miles you can expect at 80mph, or using AC full blast etc. Many Youtubers do those tests so the information is available is you look for it.

What Tesla posts as range is unachievable at actual highway speeds, which is where it matters.

My Y is rated for 509km of range and good luck getting 400km on the highway.

You shouldn’t be required to watch YouTube videos to gain knowledge that the EPA results from Tesla are not close to real world.

There should be requirements to advertise useful numbers.

No need to start calling people morons because they don’t agree with your point of view.

That's about right. We drive 200km to our marina so basically a 400km round trip almost every weekend during the summer months. I have made it by charging to 100% and coming home with 5% left but this requires a short stay and no errands while we are there. The S makes it no problem. I should mention I do drive around 120 kph with all needed AC not trying to conserve energy in any manner. They did install free flo chargers last year at the marina so its a non issue.

What Tesla posts as range is unachievable at actual highway speeds, which is where it matters.

You shouldn’t be required to watch YouTube videos to gain knowledge that the EPA results from Tesla are not close to real world.

There should be requirements to advertise useful numbers.

No need to start calling people morons because they don’t agree with your point of view.
I did not call anyone a moron because they do not agree with my point of view. I called Suvrat Kothari, Scott Chase, and Recurrent morons because they do not understand basic facts and analytics and drew false conclusions.

EPA is a defined test to determine a range (and other stuff) based on a controlled drive mix of highway and traffic. It is not supposed to have anything to do with what some random person might get on a highway at their speed of preference. EPA is literally the legal requirement to advertise range as a useful number. As @GtiMart pointed out, that is why other reviewers like InsideEVs and Car and Driver that do controlled 70 MPH and 75 MPH tests are helpful.

Tesla's problem is that they post highly accurate EPA ranges that reviewers like Edmunds can replicate in actual driving. While other automakers just seem to randomly make up EPA range. But morons do not understand the difference and write really silly articles like the one above. The elephant in the room is other automakers are misrepresenting EPA range.

Most cars with reasonably accurate EPA ranges will get about 85% of that range at 70 MPH and 75% of range at 75 MPH. Then, subtract further for weather. It is just simple math. But, if you are starting with a bad EPA number, than highway ranges are a crap shoot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My Model 3s window sticker gives accurate range if you properly decipher it...

Here's an older one...
Screenshot_20230728_101217_Brave.jpg

Ignore that it says "310mi" and instead look at the "29kWh/100mi" number...
80kWh (usable)/0.29kWh per mi = 270mi. I think that's a realistic range.

The issue is that silly mixed EPA cycle that takes into account city driving. That makes sense for ICE because you don't fill up daily at your home. For EVs, very few people care about range in city driving. A majority of us care about range only on highways. The 29kWh/100mi number is MUCH closer to the truth there.

Last edited:
My Model 3s window sticker gives accurate range if you properly decipher it...

Here's an older one...

Ignore that it says "310mi" and instead look at the "29kWh/100mi" number...
80kWh (usable)/0.29kWh per mi = 270mi. I think that's a realistic range.

The issue is that silly mixed EPA cycle that takes into account city driving. That makes sense for ICE because you don't fill up daily at your home. For EVs, very few people care about range in city driving. A majority of us care about range only on highways. The 29kWh/100mi number is MUCH closer to the truth there.
One more quirk in that EPA label... Do the 3 MPGe and kWh/100mi numbers include charging losses... So, I think extrapolating those numbers into range is based on electricity consumed to charge the car, which is typically greater than the size of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Ummmm. Tesla's EPA ratings are the most precise of all EVs, according to Edmunds' test that simulates the EPA drive.

Know how you look good in an article like the one above? Post terrible, understated EPA ranges. Tesla actually posts good EPA numbers, and morons attack them for it.

If you drive an EV at around 60 - 65 MPH, you will get pretty close to the published EPA range if they did it right. Every 5 MPH faster cuts like 10% to 15% from stated EPA range. And extreme temperatures cut 10% to 20% from stated EPA range. It's all just simple math.

I disagreed because 10-15% cut per 5mph increment doesn't seem right. I typically say 8% range reduction per each 5mph above 55mph. Here's an old chart off Reddit that I reference from time to time which helps me prepare for a road-trip.

1690558409545.png

I disagreed because 10-15% cut per 5mph increment doesn't seem right. I typically say 8% range reduction per each 5mph above 55mph. Here's an old chart off Reddit that I reference from time to time which helps me prepare for a road-trip.

View attachment 960360
I was spitballing from memory. If you have the time, I have a scientific approach for you... Go to Edmunds create a spreadsheet from their table of cars & range from this page: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds

Then, go to InsideEVS and copy in thier 70 MPH ranges from their table of cars and highway drive ranges: What's The Real World Highway Range Of Today's Electric Cars? We Test To Find Out

Finally, go to Car and Driver and pull in their 75 MPH tests on the cars.

Use the Edmunds ranges as EPA for the cars, since almost everyone has crap EPA ranges. Then calculate the % range degradation from the 75 and 70 mph speeds.

As an aside, the range decrease per 5 MPH is not linear. It would start small and then jump substantially per each increment after you get to around 65 MPH.

I did not call anyone a moron because they do not agree with my point of view. I called Suvrat Kothari, Scott Chase, and Recurrent morons because they do not understand basic facts and analytics and drew false conclusions.

EPA is a defined test to determine a range (and other stuff) based on a controlled drive mix of highway and traffic. It is not supposed to have anything to do with what some random person might get on a highway at their speed of preference. EPA is literally the legal requirement to advertise range as a useful number. As @GtiMart pointed out, that is why other reviewers like InsideEVs and Car and Driver that do controlled 70 MPH and 75 MPH tests are helpful.

Tesla's problem is that they post highly accurate EPA ranges that reviewers like Edmunds can replicate in actual driving. While other automakers just seem to randomly make up EPA range. But morons do not understand the difference and write really silly articles like the one above. The elephant in the room is other automakers are misrepresenting EPA range.

Most cars with reasonably accurate EPA ranges will get about 85% of that range at 70 MPH and 75% of range at 75 MPH. Then, subtract further for weather. It is just simple math. But, if you are starting with a bad EPA number, than highway ranges are a crap shoot.
Thanks for clarifying.

My point isn’t that Tesla is or isn’t following EPA.
My point is that value is not useful for anything real.

The only way to get the same result is to repeat the test.
I’m not questioning the EPA result. I’m questioning its usefulness.

I bought the car three years ago knowing I would never hit the actual number because I like to research things.

For the general public that is used to highway mileage is better than city mileage, using a non-repeatable (at highway speeds) number as your selling point is a problem.

Companies like Porsche that derate this value, get it.