Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New J1772 Wall Connector Installed, may have made the wrong decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a Model Y and decided to order the new J1772 wall connector vs. Teslas proprietary connector. I thought I was getting ahead of the game but I’m doubting the decision I made.

I don’t own any other EV’s at the moment but felt it was wiser to install Americas “Standard” vs Tesla’s, not because Tesla would be switching but to have the most flexible option for any future purchases Tesla or not.

I liked that the car comes with an OEM J1772 adapter which is also less expensive than the aftermarket Tesla to J1772 adapters that exist, win-win.

Having my wife use an adapter at home would prepare her for the day she uses a J1772 station on the road.

It’s pricier but everything I mentioned above was worth the $150 difference on paper, in practice, I don’t feel like I made the right decision though.

I intended to keep the J1772 adapter always on the cable at home but there’s no slot for the Tesla connector on the side of the unit, only the J1772 fits. I’m sure some people just let the cable dangle off the wall connector but I like how clean it looks when it’s placed properly. I’m going to buy a holster on Amazon to make up for this but it’s a detail I think they dropped the ball on. Maybe someone can 3D Print something for it…

The button to release the J1772 does not open the charge port as far as I can tell. Takes a little bit of the magic away.

I’m disappointed that Tesla markets the wall connector for “your Tesla” and other brands. I’m sure the magic of this thing is within the circuitry / engineering and not the plastic housing or the ability to open the charge port from the charger itself but these were the questions I had in mind before the install and thought some of you might like to know before making your purchase.

TL:DR

- No slot for the Tesla adaptor on the side
- Button on the charger doesn’t open charge port, it’s just a release
- Sleekest J1772 connector out there but still not as compact as Tesla’s (knew this one going in)P

I use a j1772 too, OpenEVSE 48amp. To open charge port door, push gently on it when car is unlocked or if your tesla app is running on your phone & paired to car. The car is designed for this functionality. I too thought I would miss the magic of pushing a button on evse handle to open charge port but for that to work car still needs to be unlocked too.

there's an old open source project out there which is a small transmitter that emits the radio code needed to open a charge port When car is unlocked. i thought I might put that on my keychain or on the evse handle but once I learned the trick of pushing the charge port door, I felt I did not need to go that route.

In your case better off to purchase the Tesla WC and an adapter for J1772. I have one of each in my garage.

With a J1772 you have to tap with hand to open charge port. When removing you have to unlock charge port from app before disconnect from vehicle. Not a huge issue but does add a few extra steps before you can leave in the morning.

J1772 WC is also $150 more expensive.

In your case better off to purchase the Tesla WC and an adapter for J1772. I have one of each in my garage.

With a J1772 you have to tap with hand to open charge port. When removing you have to unlock charge port from app before disconnect from vehicle. Not a huge issue but does add a few extra steps before you can leave in the morning.

J1772 WC is also $150 more expensive.
When removing my j1772 I do not find the need to unlock charge port va the tesla app. I just now I walked to my car. Pushed the j1772 release button on handle. The charge port unlocked and I took handle out. Charge port lid Closed automatically as expected.
Perhaps because I use iPhone & have it linked to the car. I have my phone with me when I use the car too. 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: Falcon73
When removing you have to unlock charge port from app before disconnect from vehicle.
No you don't. When going to plug in, this is an issue, but when unplugging it isn't. The difference is that when there's an air gap, it's having to send a radio signal to the car to tell it to open, so it's only the proprietary Tesla plug that has that. But when the plug is already in the car, the J1772 plug already has the communication line connected to the car. Pressing the J1772 button does multiple things. It interrupts the charging current, and the car also receives the indicator to unlatch the pin from the adapter, so the port is unlocked. You don't need to use the car's screen or app.

Yeah, it's a world of difference and I wouldn't wish a J1772 home charger on my worst enemy.

Charging with the Tesla connector is like taking a sip of beer. You gently lift it into position with 2 fingers, then you smile.

Charging with J1772 is more like scraping dog poo out of the treads of your shoe with a twig. You need several hands, some makeshift tools, and it's hard to even keep your balance throughout the ordeal.

1668481337151.png

I got the Grizzle E charger when it was cheaper than the Tesla one (today the Tesla one is the best deal). I have been very happy with the choice.

I got an extra adapter so I leave it in the charger. Grizzle E actually gave me the choice of a Tesla or 1772 holster. You can buy one from them too -- it will likely work for you.

I definitely would prefer if there was a button to open the charge port, but I've gotten into a habit of either opening from within the car screen or pushing against the door.

When unplugging, I give the release a quick push without pulling on it. This stops charging and releases it without unlatching the adapter, so I can pull it out all with one hand and put it back in the holster.

My next EV has a good chance of being a non Tesla, and I'm glad I don't need to buy a very pricey Tesla to 1772 connector.

No you don't. When going to plug in, this is an issue, but when unplugging it isn't. The difference is that when there's an air gap, it's having to send a radio signal to the car to tell it to open, so it's only the proprietary Tesla plug that has that. But when the plug is already in the car, the J1772 plug already has the communication line connected to the car. Pressing the J1772 button does multiple things. It interrupts the charging current, and the car also receives the indicator to unlatch the pin from the adapter, so the port is unlocked. You don't need to use the car's screen or app.
Interesting. When I got my LR in Feb of 21 I had a J1772 Juice box charger. Pressing the button did nothing. If I pressed the release I could only pull out the J1772 and the 1772 to Tesla adapter stayed inserted at which point the charge port would try to close with the Tesla adapter still inserted. Also, when I charge at public chargers that use J1772 I must unlock charge port when using the adapter otherwise the same scenario plays out.

Interesting. When I got my LR in Feb of 21 I had a J1772 Juice box charger. Pressing the button did nothing. If I pressed the release I could only pull out the J1772 and the 1772 to Tesla adapter stayed inserted at which point the charge port would try to close with the Tesla adapter still inserted. Also, when I charge at public chargers that use J1772 I must unlock charge port when using the adapter otherwise the same scenario plays out.
Same happened to me a few times until I figured out how to use it correctly. To remove the charge cord from the car with the charging cord plugged in with the J1772 adapter and inserted into the car, push the release lever which signals the charge port to release the adapter from the car port, do not pull the cord out with the lever pressed as if you do the J1772 will separate from the adapter and remain plugged into the car. Release the lever so the j1772 adapter is once again locked back onto the charging cord and only now pull away from the car, this way the adapter stays on the charge cord and does not remain plugged into the car. To release the adapter from the cord once disconnected from the car, push the lock lever while pulling the 2 apart. Really simple however the lock lever sequence is the key.

Same happened to me a few times until I figured out how to use it correctly. To remove the charge cord from the car with the charging cord plugged in with the J1772 adapter and inserted into the car, push the release lever which signals the charge port to release the adapter from the car port, do not pull the cord out with the lever pressed as if you do the J1772 will separate from the adapter and remain plugged into the car. Release the lever so the j1772 adapter is once again locked back onto the charging cord and only now pull away from the car, this way the adapter stays on the charge cord and does not remain plugged into the car. To release the adapter from the cord once disconnected from the car, push the lock lever while pulling the 2 apart. Really simple however the lock lever sequence is the key.
That's interesting. Even if the charging station is in standby though the charge port was still locked for me. I'm going to try this procedure out today.

The Tesla to J1772 from Lectron is $130. If I didn't have another non Tesla EV I would get the TWC for $400 and then if I get a different EV later on I could just buy the adapter.

Call me lazy but I love just being able to push the button to open/unlock and it's really handy when I'm in a hurry.

Interesting. When I got my LR in Feb of 21 I had a J1772 Juice box charger. Pressing the button did nothing.
Uuuhh, it BETTER not do literally nothing, or you have a dangerously broken charging station with a defective latch button that isn't working. That is really not good. If you press and hold that button, you should hear a pretty loud clunk or click sound. The car is stopping the current and pulling out that release pin in the charging port.
If I pressed the release I could only pull out the J1772 and the 1772 to Tesla adapter stayed inserted
Well, yes. As @Midnightsun points out, that has the plug disconnected from the adapter, so it's not going to be pulling the adapter with it. There are two options to get the adapter out with it. You could try to release the latch (so it grabs the adapter again) and then pull. But on my car, if I release that latch button, the locking pin in the port immediately pops up, grabbing the adapter again, so that doesn't work. Or the other method that's foolproof is to keep holding the latch button, so the port stays unlocked, and then use your other hand to grab hold of the adapter too, so you can just pull them out together.

It sounds really weird and complicated trying to describe it in words, but seeing how the motion works shows it's not hard.

I hope they open supercharges to non Tesla, but maybe give Tesla owners a .05-.10 kwh discount or something. Tesla supercharger network is so much better than all the other options. It would also force non tesla charger networks to put out more reliable and easy to use stations.

A good gesture, but way too late. If only they did this 5 years ago, I think everyone would likely be using the Tesla connector now.

There's too much momentum behind CCS now to change direction.
Good post, but I'm not sure. Way more Tesla on the road than all other manufacturers combined. Without this CCS was on its way to take over in the US just as it did in Europe. Maybe it still will, but maybe not. What Tesla does with their US supercharges is a big next step.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I used Gorilla tape on my ChargePoint Home Flex plus adapter (holding the two together) so I can do this one handed and in a single pull, once I press on the CP release handle.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have two J1772 handles in my garage because my EVSE purchases predated my Tesla purchase, and I still have a J1772 car. Given today's prices, I would certainly buy a wall connector before getting another J1772...but if the prices fell the other way, I wouldn't hesitate to stick with J1772. Once you get used to using the adapter, it becomes second nature. Even at the office, I plug in using J1772. Come to think of it, I never actually had a chance to get used to using a Tesla plug!

The times I've used Superchargers, I've invariably ended up pushing on the charge door before thinking that I could have just pushed the button on the handle. It takes an willful act to remember to do it the other way.