Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about the lane change when you use the turn signal and it moves into the other lane...I am assuming it is under Driver Input and still included in AP?

If you currently have EAP, you will still get auto lane change. If you buy a Tesla now and pick the new "autopilot" option, no, you don't get any auto lane change at all as far as I can tell.

It still shows $5000 for my model S.

Well, I am a Model 3 owner and it is $3000 for me right now. Not sure why the difference.

There's one thing that has been glossed over in this thread, with all the discussion of price differences, there's also a name difference. It's now no longer "Enhanced Autopilot", it's just Autopilot for $3k. So if you have EAP, you'll continue to get those features (such as @Troy pointed out with the excellent graph). This is helpful, as NOA improves so will it improve for the EAP folks too. Smart summon will also come to EAP buyers prior to 2/28. I personally think this distribution of cost and features better aligns with the industry, there was a lot of talk about how Hyundai, Subaru, etc could all keep a lane on the highway for cheaper - this makes it more of an apples to apples comparison.

I went to post about this on TMC right after the announcement yesterday, but it was down - when I noticed it was back up, I was already having a beer and watching TV, and couldn't be bothered :D

• Funny
Reactions: Superendo
Yes, autopilot remains autopilot. Some features of EAP were merged into FSD so those who paid for EAP get a taste at least now that FSD has been redefined to include a bunch of things that were a different feature. Those who paid for EAP+FSD get... EAP. Congratulations.
Tesla realized they had zero to show with the existing distinctions between EAP and FSD, so to make it marketable they decided to merge the two. This is great because now they can say "yes we've delivered FSD, it says so right there in our (radically updated) definition".
I'm pretty disgusted by the whole thing.

FSD upgrade for EAP owners is only $3000 now. Yes! I am very happy!
Fool me one, shame on you
Fool me twice, well I didn’t buy it on my X so no shame on me 2nd time around

However it still shows $5,000 for me too:
454524FC-E854-4C15-8F8B-B09064A6801A.png

For now, yes. But if you pre-paid for FSD, you will get the AP3 chip and all of the FSD features, including city self-driving coming later this year. So you will get all of FSD. Tesla is not redefining EAP as FSD.
Yeah good luck with that. There are some people that have been waiting for FSD since 2016, when a full coast-to-coast drive was supposed to have happened by the end of that year.

Yeah good luck with that. There are some people that have been waiting for FSD since 2016, when a full coast-to-coast drive was supposed to have happened by the end of that year.
There have been people waiting for self-driving cars for the past 100 years, and, partially, we now have that (on highways). It looks more likely than not that we'll have even more capability by the end of the year (in cities), and over the next 5-10 years it will expand to fill in even more and more cases (tough cases, construction zones, poor weather). Truthfully, there are a lot of scenarios that people can't even deal with in driving (poor weather, badly engineered roads, etc) so it will take some time to get to 100%

We're literally living in the genesis of this new technology that just a few years ago, watching I, Robot (or any other movie depicting self-driving cars), I thought was hopelessly far off. I'm sure everyone else here was the same, until that FSD video with the "trained" car on a pre-selected course a few Decembers ago came out. I agree it was a shitty move to portray it as if it could do that anywhere, and the split with MobilEye set them back way more than anyone wanted to see, but I have never seen a group of people so angry to be living through the genesis of a new technology, while being the first to enjoy it. It's true every thing they add isn't great at first, but I personally have only seen things get better.

I understand the people who bought AP1 were sold false pretenses, and that AP2 took far too long to just match up to the already feature-light AP1, but we're past that now, and if you're really still that disgusted maybe it's time to sell your car and buy one that you enjoy. Life's too short to spend your free time being mad on a forum, guys. I'm not here to apologize for Tesla because they've done some boneheaded stuff in the past, but I'm excited for the future, and that's what I'm looking forward to.

What I'm not looking forward to is all the people who will disagree with my post, lol, but hey it's my opinion.

I see this upgrade available for my S (check the attached file please). I have HW 2.5 with EAP. Would I get HW 3.0 and the new red light detection features if I buy this?
They say the HW3 is required for these new features, and since the debut of AP2.0 they have said that if a hardware update is required for FSD, they will provide it. The autopilot ECU was made easily swappable, and some even think that the existing 2.0 and 2.5 APE hardware may have been just a stopgap until they could roll out their own silicon.

TL;DR Yes, you will get HW3 if you purchase FSD, unless they figure out some magical way to cram the larger neural net into the older gen hardware (which is already near/at capacity). It is supposed to start rolling out in new cars around end of Q1, but it's anyone's guess how they'll handle the backlog.

Reactions: OPRCE
Here is the new version of the chart I posted earlier. However, I'm still trying to clarify two details:
  • If you took delivery of a Model 3 with the $5,000 EAP option, you can add FSD for $3,000. Is the same correct for Model S and X?
  • EU buyers who have not taken delivery yet are reporting text messages confirming they will receive FSD for free. Does the same apply to US buyers?

ykJSg7q.gif

They say the HW3 is required for these new features, and since the debut of AP2.0 they have said that if a hardware update is required for FSD, they will provide it. The autopilot ECU was made easily swappable, and some even think that the existing 2.0 and 2.5 APE hardware may have been just a stopgap until they could roll out their own silicon.

TL;DR Yes, you will get HW3 if you purchase FSD, unless they figure out some magical way to cram the larger neural net into the older gen hardware (which is already near/at capacity). It is supposed to start rolling out in new cars around end of Q1, but it's anyone's guess how they'll handle the backlog.

Thanks. I hope it will be available for a foreseeable future as an update. When it will start doing lights and stops, it will be so much fun.

Here is the new version of the chart I posted earlier. However, I'm still trying to clarify two details:
  • If you took delivery of a Model 3 with the $5,000 EAP option, you can add FSD for $3,000. Is the same correct for Model S and X?
  • EU buyers who have not taken delivery yet are reporting text messages confirming they will receive FSD for free. Does the same apply to US buyers?

ykJSg7q.gif
You should update your diagram to reflect that the $3000 currently only reflects Model 3. For Model S/X the price is still coming up as $5k post-upgrade price on the account website.

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN

ykJSg7q.gif

It looks like Tesla has more clarification coming on this today. Initially, my online view still showed FSD for $5k (I like Model 3 owners showing 3k). Now, I don’t even have an option online for FSD purchase.

Attachments

• 464BD14E-C64D-41F3-824A-C97F4E6F7C6C.jpeg
    464BD14E-C64D-41F3-824A-C97F4E6F7C6C.jpeg
    691.8 KB · Views: 83