Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've noticed something and wonder if it is a bug, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding things. Early in the new site, I used "Mark All Threads as Read" to clean up the Watched Thread list and create a baseline (after reading the few threads that had since been updated). Now as the site as aged, some older conversations have updates. They are popping up in my Watched Thread list as expected, but when I click the title, I go to the first post of that thread. I can then scroll to the bottom and click "First Unread Post" or whatever it is and it takes me to the correct post. After this initial viewing of a thread since it has converted (and after I marked all), it goes back to the behavior of clicking the title takes me to the first unread post.

Is this a bug?

I could be wrong, but I think this is probably related to the fact that the thread had no new posts after the site changed over. So somehow whatever dates the site uses to do whatever it needs to do with respect to "last unread post", etc. are too old on those threads to work the right way.

I know this is a very vague answer. I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

I could be wrong, but I think this is probably related to the fact that the thread had no new posts after the site changed over. So somehow whatever dates the site uses to do whatever it needs to do with respect to "last unread post", etc. are too old on those threads to work the right way.

I know this is a very vague answer. I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

However they popped up with new posts, like the "OMG digitalTim's delivery" thread, the "Proactive Contactor Replacement" thread, and "Negative Cambeer in rear tires" thread. They all recently got updates for the first time since the new forum and thus, showed up on my Watched Threads. And once in the thread they correctly knew where "Go to First Unread Post" should point to.

I can only guess something about the coding of the thread title just tried to follow the wrong breadcrumb? Perhaps some flag gets set the first time I visit a thread on the new forum, even if it is a "Watched Thread". If so, perhaps the admin team can set that flag systematically for everyone's watched threads? If not, it isn't the end of the world, just annoying as older threads come back to life.

I won't pretend to have figured out all the quirks of the new system.

I do believe there is a time limit after which you haven't interacted with a thread that you stop getting notifications from it.

For "go to first unread" there is a check that happens to see if you've read the thread before it sets the thread link to include "/unread" or not. But that I think only goes back a month or so and I doubt that info made it through the migration. IIRC it's cookie based.

At any rate, I have the avatar to the left of the thread hard coded to add the "/unread" so try that.

A couple of questions about "Conversations".. It looks like you can no longer "delete" a conversation, just "leave" it. I like to keep my "inbox" uncluttered with dead conversations.

So in effect, it seems such that is no longer a limit on how many PMs one can have?

If I "leave" a conversation to remove it from my active conversation list, and then later someone replies to it or to me, will I get re-notified? Or is "leaving" a conversation a one-way street, no way to get back to it?

Also, Doug - I sent in a contribution with Paypal about a week ago, but I'm still getting ads. Is there something else I need to do? I did indicate in the notes my TMC Handle/name. Thanks.
While serving a similar purpose, Conversations are fundamentally different from PMs. PMs on vB were like email. You send and receive messages. You keep your own copy of the sent message, each recipient gets a copy. When you reply another set of messages are made. There ends up being a lot of duplication in the database. Conversations are essentially like private threads. There is one copy of the Conversation in the database. All the participants in the Conversation see the same data. If you add someone to the Conversation, he or she is able to see the history. If you leave a conversation, I believe there is a way for you to be added back, but I haven't tried it. The single fact that messages are threaded make it a much more convenient system than the old PMs.

Took care of the paypal thing. Thanks!

Ok, thanks, but I'm still curious -- If I "leave" a conversation to remove it from my active conversation list, and then later someone replies to it, will I get re-notified? I don't think I would. So there seems to be no way to "unclutter" my Conversation list AND also be notified if there are any future posts in any conversation I leave. It would be nice if there were a "Hide Conversation" option -- that would do what I want.

Side note: I always thought it was a little messed up how vB handled PMs with all the duplication.

Ok, thanks, but I'm still curious -- If I "leave" a conversation to remove it from my active conversation list, and then later someone replies to it, will I get re-notified? I don't think I would. So there seems to be no way to "unclutter" my Conversation list AND also be notified if there are any future posts in any conversation I leave. It would be nice if there were a "Hide Conversation" option -- that would do what I want.

Well, thanks to @ohmman who suggested we do a test of leaving a conversation, we now know what happens!

We started a conversation, I clicked "Leave Conversation" and was presented with this popup message:

upload_2016-4-17_10-48-45.png

So that settles that! The first option is essentially the "Hide" option I was looking for... the second option is essentially "delete forever".

I've gotten this error a few times:

The following error occurred:
An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.​

I'm also pretty bummed that the hundred thread links and direct links to forums and features are dead now.

[Admin note: This is patently incorrect as the vast majority of those direct links are redirected to the proper content.]

Admin just edited my post, but it was true at the time I posted it.I'm glad you resolved that issue! Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it would be valuable to bring back the subheading "Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts and Owners Forum" on the TMC home page:

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

The number of short sellers, shills and trolls posting seems to be growing rapidly and is increasing the level of animosity and degrading the quality of discussion on many threads. This is particularly the case when any problem with a new S or X is posted, and a chorus of short sellers and shills jumps in and derails the thread, bashing Tesla and other forum members who offer solutions or try to put the issue in context.

I understand that judgment calls need to be made in banning particular posters, but it seems to me it is worthwhile to clarify that the website is a community for Tesla owners and supporters. The shorts and Tesla-haters have plenty of other outlets to spread their FUD.

Last edited:
Doug moved a few posts over to a separate thread about the obtrusive ad that snuck through Google Adsense. I just wanted to add that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like that when a post to moved or edited by an admin, I now get an alert telling me that. There is a "reason" field that he filled out that was very nice to see.

Thank you!

On that note, do we prefer to post images as thumbnails instead of full image? I usually do full image, but one post was changed to the thumbnail. I am just asking (not complaining), so I know which is preferred in the future.

On that note, do we prefer to post images as thumbnails instead of full image? I usually do full image, but one post was changed to the thumbnail. I am just asking (not complaining), so I know which is preferred in the future.
I think more often than not, use full. On occasion, though, a thumbnail may be more appropriate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
A couple of things:
  • TMC is starting to feel comfortable again--some of it is simply getting used to the new site, but most of it comes from the time folks on this thread are taking to provide useful feedback paired with the continuous tweaks being made, both big and small, so thanks for that
  • New feature request: under "Members" can we add "Most Ignored" list? Kidding...just sorta :)

I think more often than not, use full. On occasion, though, a thumbnail may be more appropriate.

I intended to respond to this a couple of days ago, but at the time was quickly checking posts from my phone, and was interrupted. So please excuse the delay.

I generally post full images, but I try to modify the size of the images as appropriate, to avoid posting images that are larger than they need to be. This is not a criticism, but as an example, the images you posted just up thread, Cyclone--the screen captures--would actually work much better somewhat smaller, so people would be able to see the entire image more easily, without scrolling. Images like that don't have enough detail in them such that they need to be THAT big. On the other hand, I agree that the thumbnail approach is annoying. I just use a simple piece of image editing software to quickly adjust the size of images I'm going to upload to be approximately a size I think makes sense for the purpose they need to serve. It's one extra step, but I'd like to think it is appreciated by the community.

Reactions: ohmman
I intended to respond to this a couple of days ago, but at the time was quickly checking posts from my phone, and was interrupted. So please excuse the delay.

I generally post full images, but I try to modify the size of the images as appropriate, to avoid posting images that are larger than they need to be. This is not a criticism, but as an example, the images you posted just up thread, Cyclone--the screen captures--would actually work much better somewhat smaller, so people would be able to see the entire image more easily, without scrolling. Images like that don't have enough detail in them such that they need to be THAT big. On the other hand, I agree that the thumbnail approach is annoying. I just use a simple piece of image editing software to quickly adjust the size of images I'm going to upload to be approximately a size I think makes sense for the purpose they need to serve. It's one extra step, but I'd like to think it is appreciated by the community.

That is a great idea Andy, but I do 90+%of my browsing on mobile. Those do not look large. They fit perfectly in-line on my screen. Are they different on desktop browsers? Any thoughts on how I can resize from mobile (or better yet, can this be a checkbox option to have a forum plugin do this when uploading)? Those were just screenshots from my phone, so it would be a 1080p resolution.