Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Feature July 2014 - Electric Cabin Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you are a photo of your screen showing that new setting! This is the first I've heard about this.

And please let us know what your onscreen manual says about this new feature.

Edit: I found another older post about this at Ionizer?

There is nothing in the manual. Maybe too new.

Tesla isn't advertising the feature so it's not a selling point yet. It would be interesting to know why they added it. I'm sure the new car smell will over-power whatever effects the ionizer has for the short term.

Don't know why the picture rotated when I inserted it. Maybe someone can clue me in.

Ionizer.jpg

Found this.
Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | Indoor Air | US Environmental Protection Agency

Doesn't seem to be much evidence these are effective or safe.

Not sure this is the same thing. The EPA is talking about ozone generators, we don't know what they have installed in the MS. My last house had an ionizing air filter that sat in front of the HVAC intake - two metal mesh plates with a high voltage between them - it was very effective at pulling small particulates out of the air (so would be great in China) but required maintenance - I did have to power it down periodically and wash down the two plates with water (no detergent, that apparently caused problems with the ability to hold the charge). Also killed small insects drawn into the A/C intake with a loud 'zap'. 1980s technology in that house, I'm sure it's much more mature now...

Not sure this is the same thing. The EPA is talking about ozone generators, we don't know what they have installed in the MS. My last house had an ionizing air filter that sat in front of the HVAC intake - two metal mesh plates with a high voltage between them - it was very effective at pulling small particulates out of the air (so would be great in China) but required maintenance - I did have to power it down periodically and wash down the two plates with water (no detergent, that apparently caused problems with the ability to hold the charge). Also killed small insects drawn into the A/C intake with a loud 'zap'. 1980s technology in that house, I'm sure it's much more mature now...

Yeah, I have one too. I don't like it due to the maintenace, and it can ionize the air making it smell like ozone. Not my favorite smell.

that wasn't an ionizer that was an electrostatic precipitator.

Electronic Air Purifier Technology Guide - Air Purifier Guide

How Electronic Air Purifiers Work

Both types of electronic air purifiers give an electric charge to the polluting particles. Charged particles, or ions, are by nature attracted to other particles with the opposite charge. The end result is that charged particles will be drawn to and then stick to each other.

Electrostatic precipitators and ionizers differ from each other in how they charge the particles and what happens to the particles after they have been charged.

• Electrostatic precipitators draw air into the purifier. The polluted air passes through an ionizing mechanism which gives the particles a charge. After this, the now-charged particles continue through to the next section of the purifier, which contains plates that have the charge opposite to the charge just given to the particles (e.g., if the particles are positively charged, the plates are negatively charged). The particles therefore stick to the plates and are removed from the air. The plates must be cleaned periodically or will cease to capture the particles.
  • Ion generators differ in that, instead of drawing the particles in and then charging them, they release ions into the surrounding air. These ions attach themselves to airborne particles, thereby charging them. The newly charged particles then become attracted to surfaces such as drapes or walls, or they combine with other particles and fall to the floor.

As indicated above, ion generators, unlike electrostatic precipitators, have no means of collecting pollutants inside the purifier itself. Instead, the particles settle elsewhere in the home, so that air pollution is reduced, but surfaces become dirtier. Some might not consider this a trade-off worth making.

and as far as I know nothing about either of these methods has changed in the last 40 years.

So I'm OK with a filter, I'd consider an electrostatic precipitator an upgrade in air quality at the cost of maintenance, and I have no desire to have the other options (I'd turn it off in the settings screen if I had an ionizer).

Last edited:
I kind of briefly looked it up, but it depends on what type it really is. Not all ionizers primarily produce ozone (although all produce at least a small amount).

Consumer Reports was fairly critical of ionizers, and the only one they gave a good rating was the Friedrich C-90A, which is a ionizing electrostatic precipitator. However it also has a pre-filter, a fan, a carbon post-filter, so it's kind of a "hybrid" air cleaner.

Most ionizers don't have fans (instead they rely on the emitted ions spreading out naturally), so the amount of air they "clean" is relatively low compared to traditional air filters. Probably why they got bad ratings from Consumer Reports.

Last edited:
After May? Mine was built in June but I don't have the option. But maybe it will show up when/if I get 5.12...

Was in the shop for a replacement master charger and was curious if I would get this when they updated my firmware to 5.12...and I did :) It's nice getting something that you didn't expect! I was worried this was tied to the tech package or something like that - but on my base 60, June 14 build it has shown up in the settings now. Don't notice any difference though.