Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery in model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also wondering about this and current ones. When the service center had the frunk or of mine, i noticed a sticker that said 74kwh.
20200930_155349.jpg

Can’t this be easily checked by someone with new MY 2021 by going to supercharging station or home charging and charge to 100% (or custom max), while recording kWh gained on vehicle display?

Then, Available Battery Capacity = (Charged% - BeforeCharging%) * KwhCharged (example: (80%-70%)*8kwh=0.1*8kwh=80kwh). This should have about +-1% precision, which should be enough to see whether there was a 5% capacity improvement or not. It does not however rule out that battery capacity is software locked to MY to 2020 capacity level.

Reactions: jfawns76
Can’t this be easily checked by someone with new MY 2021 by going to supercharging station or home charging and charge to 100% (or custom max), while recording kWh gained on vehicle display?

Then, Available Battery Capacity = (Charged% - BeforeCharging%) * KwhCharged (example: (80%-70%)*8kwh=0.1*8kwh=80kwh). This should have about +-1% precision, which should be enough to see whether there was a 5% capacity improvement or not. It does not however rule out that battery capacity is software locked to MY to 2020 capacity level.

Or they can remove the plastics under the frunk to look for the sticker mentioned/showed above. That 10 mile gain seems too low for such an increase in battery density. Sounds like we'll see another bump sometime soon.

EDIT: If you figure a generous 4mi/kWh, an increase of 6kW pack should net about 24 miles of range. 326+24 would set the MY LR-AWD right at 350 miles of range.

EDIT 2: Yeah, that might be lofty considering they rate the comparable 3 at 353 miles of range. I bet we'll see something in the 330's to 340's.

Last edited:
Do we know if the new battery pack weighs the same, more or less than the current one? Could you be getting more capacity but at the expense of increased weight to carry around? Or is it same weight or less?

No confirmed or disclosed data on that yet. Expectations are that it’s the same weight per each cell, so higher energy density for both the cell and the pack.

Do we know if the new battery pack weighs the same, more or less than the current one? Could you be getting more capacity but at the expense of increased weight to carry around? Or is it same weight or less?

No confirmed or disclosed data on that yet. Expectations are that it’s the same weight per each cell, so higher energy density for both the cell and the pack.

Agreed, in other EV's where capacity has been increased due to higher energy density there typically is no change in weight. In other EV's where capacity is increased by adding more physical cells, weight is increased as well which affects overall efficiency.