Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 40.50 Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this update arrived on MCU1 cars yet? Mine (MCU1 / AP2.5) is still showing that it is “up to date” on 2019.40.2.1

tenor.gif

I thought HW2.5 retrofit to HW3 was a drop in replacement, regardless of MCU?

Elon says that. But one guy had his 2.5 MCU1 car upgraded by mistake and they forced him to comeback to and downgrade to 2.5. some issue with the car not accepting updates. Probably a software issue that they have no intention on fixing soon. Gotta let as many leases end before upgrading then to hw3

Reactions: Cheburashka
M3 SR+. Got 40.50 last night on Christmas Eve. It was the one present I opened the day before Christmas because I found it hard to increase or decrease the temp in the car by touchscreen when not stopped. Now I read this thread and learn that I could have controlled the climate from the scroll wheel all along!

Somebody needs to write a QuickStart primer on how to use each of the new features as they come out. It's gonna be work figuring out how to set up voice commands. Enjoyable work, but work nonetheless.

did you read the release notes? It clearly says these are visual improvements and that the car won’t stop.

yeah that ^^. Assumption is that behind the scenes all these cars that are tracking lights and signs now are doing some calculations behind the scenes and sending telemetry back to the mother ship. This release will be buggy because it’s a toddler that is learning its surroundings. In a few months and with several million km worth of data the releases will be rolled out that will stop/start at traffic lights.

Elon is something. Literally tweets the other day about how upgrading the MCU isn't recommended, then two days later releases a bunch of mcu2 only features
Or better still, gets me excited as a recent fsd HW3 owner about getting to see some minor fsd action, only to find that it looks like in UK (and may be Europe) we don't get this.

I would rather have nothing said in advance of updates that are bound to be a let down. Can't get speach recognition working either.

M3 SR+. Got 40.50 last night on Christmas Eve. It was the one present I opened the day before Christmas because I found it hard to increase or decrease the temp in the car by touchscreen when not stopped. Now I read this thread and learn that I could have controlled the climate from the scroll wheel all along!

Somebody needs to write a QuickStart primer on how to use each of the new features as they come out. It's gonna be work figuring out how to set up voice commands. Enjoyable work, but work nonetheless.
how do you control climate from the scroll wheel in Model 3?

You can certainly turn it on with only the wheel, but unfortunately not off. And you used to be able to hit one button to turn it off, now you have to bring up the display, then hit the off button. First world problems...

You can turn it off with the steering wheel button. You just have to be on the temperature setting if you press it it will turn climate control off, and I think if you press and hold it it will switch it to auto. If that doesn't work it has to be on the fan press and hold to switch to auto.

Then they came out with AP 2.0 hardware saying that would be powerful enough but again it’s not, AP 3.0 is now the one they say should do it. I’m pretty sure that also won’t be up to snuff in the end. We shall see.
I agree. History will repeat itself - give it a year. Those with HW3 will be needing a HW4 upgrade to have real FSD (not this half-baked version Elon is proposing) but it won't be easy or free. All we'll get is complaints (lots more than today) about Elon and his imaginary world mostly from M3 owners. For me, I can only wish I had the software installed when I bought the car. Yes, we shall see.

I agree. History will repeat itself - give it a year. Those with HW3 will be needing a HW4 upgrade to have real FSD (not this half-baked version Elon is proposing) but it won't be easy or free. All we'll get is complaints (lots more than today) about Elon and his imaginary world mostly from M3 owners. For me, I can only wish I had the software installed when I bought the car. Yes, we shall see.

There’s just so much they still have to do. Roads in the UK around where I live in more rural areas might not have any lane markings. Some are single track with passing places. People crossing roads, horses, overtaking tractors if you don’t want to be stuck going super slow, roundabouts, junctions, etc.

Following a highway, changing lanes and exiting the highway is damn impressive but it’s like the easy 5% compared to the remaining complex 95% they still have to solve.

The FSD Preview from what I can see is it detects stop signs, traffic lights and bins. That’s hardly convincing that they are really close to solving this all still.

Reactions: KArnold
There’s just so much they still have to do. Roads in the UK around where I live in more rural areas might not have any lane markings. Some are single track with passing places. People crossing roads, horses, overtaking tractors if you don’t want to be stuck going super slow, roundabouts, junctions, etc.

Following a highway, changing lanes and exiting the highway is damn impressive but it’s like the easy 5% compared to the remaining complex 95% they still have to solve.

The FSD Preview from what I can see is it detects stop signs, traffic lights and bins. That’s hardly convincing that they are really close to solving this all still.

In the UK (& elsewhere outside USA) doesn't look like we have visualisations yet anyway.

One big challenge is for FSD to distinguish between stationary queuing traffic and parked cars, especially on congested narrow UK roads. Also to reliably discriminate between real and reflected images (off store windows and wet road surface).

To over take moving traffic or even just passing stationary cars keeping distances safe seems miles away from anything I have seen.

But none the less, it's a cool experiment / development to be part of. Feels like a huge lost chance though that Tesla provides zero ways for owners to feed back sensible constructive information and when 'update' releases seem to be guaranteed to have obvious omissions and bugs, it doesn't inspire confidence.

In the UK (& elsewhere outside USA) doesn't look like we have visualisations yet anyway.

One big challenge is for FSD to distinguish between stationary queuing traffic and parked cars, especially on congested narrow UK roads. Also to reliably discriminate between real and reflected images (off store windows and wet road surface).

To over take moving traffic or even just passing stationary cars keeping distances safe seems miles away from anything I have seen.

But none the less, it's a cool experiment / development to be part of. Feels like a huge lost chance though that Tesla provides zero ways for owners to feed back sensible constructive information and when 'update' releases seem to be guaranteed to have obvious omissions and bugs, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Indeed, I’ll still pony up the money when I get a Tesla to have the FSD because it still offers some very nice features. At the same time I’ll be doing it knowing that it likely never will offer FSD in the lifetime that I own that car.

Some of these issues you mention is why I think Lidar is kind of needed. When the camera thinks it sees another car for example the Lidar could tell it’s actually a flat surface and hence it’s a reflection off a window and not really there. The issue is cost of course, 1 Lidar sensor costs more than the entire car costs currently.