Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cross shopped the Taycan and I really wanted to like it. I test drove it twice. It drives really well, but the problems that you read about on the forums gives me a lot of caution. There are several folks with their cars in the shop for a month or more. I'm waiting on reviews of the Model S when they come out to make a decision.

I’m sure some model S owners will say negative experiences as well. I have had really good experiences so far with my going on 5 year model S and 56k miles (would be much higher if not for covid). Forums tend to lean negative. Get the car you like the best regardless of what you “hear”.

I’m sure some model S owners will say negative experiences as well. I have had really good experiences so far with my going on 5 year model S and 56k miles (would be much higher if not for covid). Forums tend to lean negative. Get the car you like the best regardless of what you “hear”.
Same here, mine has been very reliable - I've had my 2016 for two years now (bought it used at 3 years old).

Evidently side window dimensions of the model 3 were not constant, causing some model 3's to spontaneously shatter windows (evidently glass doesn't shrink when the window dimension does). ;)

Yea, I was being facetious about outside dimensions changing much, Tesla usually doesn't mess with the car frame much during production - they stick to changing software, moving software controls and indicators, changing the car's behavior, and occasional cost reduction by using cheaper parts which don't pass the muster.

What I am slightly curious though is whether the S is still mostly aluminum, or have they swapped in some (or all) steel body parts like in 3/Y. Not that I want to buy one, but who knows, there is always a chance that a test drive will change my mind.

Well, it weighs hundreds of pounds LESS, so I'd posit that they're still all aluminum, and perhaps even lighter metals in some places. Mass is usually the enemy as it hurts acceleration, range, and efficiency. Plus, more mass vs. less mass means more is required downstream--it all adds up in larger brakes to slow the heavier vehicle, which means a larger battery to meet the range goals, which then requires a larger cooling system . . . see how this goes?

Conversely, the opposite is true too. One obvious example is what appears to be less drag-creating openings in the refresh bumper--so we likely have less cooling required, which is more efficient cooling, which means less drag, which helps increase range, which allows for a smaller, lighter battery, etc.

I have also been lurking in the Taycan forums for months now. The problems range from minor nuisances (charge port door not properly closing, rear spoiler not retracting fully) to moderate (terrible app functionality, annoying user interface) to critical (full on electrical shutdown, 12V issues, general unexplained overnight bricking of car). It is hard to tell how widespread these problems are, especially the critical ones, but I wouldn't be comfortable throwing down 100K+ on one of these driveway supermodels unless I had a backup car ready to go and a ton of patience. Will wait for the electric Cayman equivalent and hope my Model S treats me well until then.

When I bought my first Tesla, the supercharger network was a fraction of what Electrify America has today (for high speed charging), and yet it didn't stop me from buying another, and another, and another Tesla. What stopped me from buying more is Tesla service/parts changes after Model 3 came out.
Very true, but I've had one too many bad experiences with inoperable third party charging stations to be fully on-board with that as an adequate solution for myself (for now).