Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-50 adapter "engineering"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m resurrecting this thread in the hopes of finding an answer to this burning question: Is there a reason that NEMA decided to make the 6-50 plug incompatible with the 14-50 receptacle?

At first blush it would seem natural to allow a 6-50P to be inserted into a 14-50R since it would simply not make use of the neutral wire— something the 6-50 doesn’t need. But since NEMA, in their infinite wisdom, didn’t allow it I assume I’m missing something important. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA

I’m resurrecting this thread in the hopes of finding an answer to this burning question: Is there a reason that NEMA decided to make the 6-50 plug incompatible with the 14-50 receptacle?

At first blush it would seem natural to allow a 6-50P to be inserted into a 14-50R since it would simply not make use of the neutral wire— something the 6-50 doesn’t need. But since NEMA, in their infinite wisdom, didn’t allow it I assume I’m missing something important. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA

I don't think you have to look too far for the answer...it wasn't one of the design criteria. However, there are some other problems: It would make the 6-50 bigger than it is now. The 14-30, 50 and 60 only differ by the neutral pin shape, so it would be possible to plug your redesigned 6-50 into the other outlets. Finally, for all we know, the 6 series may have pre-dated the 14 series so the whole idea was not even possible.

It certainly would have been possible to design such a crossover plug and address most of those isssues, but such a compromise would not be as simple as taking the neutral pin out of the current 14-50.

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus