Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska owners of Model S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are traveling where there is a CHAdeMO and no convenient Superchargers, a CHAdeMO adapter is a very nice to have. Like twin chargers, every time you use them, you'll be very glad you got them.

Note that this is for charging during the driving day. For charging at night, anything that charges at over 30 amps is fine. (Note that a 30 amp receptacle only charges at 24 amps, which is a bit too long for motel stay).

The order of charging speed (assumes a range charge from a fairly low starting SOC) is:
Supercharger (1 hour or less)
CHAdeMO (2-3 hours)
HPWC and twin chargers or 70 amp public chargers (3.5-4 hours)
50 amp RV or HPWC and single charger (6-8 hours)
Most public chargers (8-12 hours)
30 amp Dryer plug (16 hours)
110V (you don't want to know)

If you don't need a range charge, the faster chargers' times can be reduced by 50%.

Also, depending upon your location, many CHAdeMO chargers are at Nissan dealerships, so they may only be open during business hours, may be ICEd, or may be charging the dealer's cars--and some dealers are more open than others. So your best shot is to first check what's actually available on the trips you are planning so that you don't get an unpleasant surprise--and be sure to bring along your UMC so that you always have a fallback.

I don't really know much about it, so please share your thoughts about using a CHAdeMO adapter.

We decided to get the adapter just as jerry33 put it. we are mildly worried in the winter about range going through Missouri. Kansas City is installing literally a ton of CHAdeMo in the metro with one already installed in St. Joseph. Can easily make it to St. Joseph but Kansa City could be a stretch in severe winter weather.

Why "so" expensive? If you need it, it would be handy.
I believe CHAdeMO is a faster charge: real world, how long for a half charge on and 85? full charge?

There are a number of reasons that it's expensive:

1. There are many CHAdeMO standards, so an adapter has to be able to cope with most of them and not charge on an incompatible one.

2. In CHAdeMO charging, the charger tells the car what it should do. Tesla lets the car tells the Supercharger how much energy it can take. This means the adapter has to fake it--and fake it correctly in both directions.

3. Before it was available the price was listed at $1000.

4. A UMC is $650, so the CHAdeMO is less expensive.

Lincoln, NE

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am expecting my red p85 June 27th. I, like everyone here, am very excited about this revolutionary car. Just wanted to know the other MS owners in Nebraska.
icon7.gif

Mine has been shipped. I'm in Lincoln.

Greetings everyone. Just ordered my Model S, with a ship date in Aug. Just curious if the NE forum/club is still active. I live in Omaha and would love to meet with other owners to hear about EV life in the midwest. Thanks!

... real world, how long for a half charge on and 85? full charge?
CHAdeMO chargers have a wide variety.
Some are even not DC Fast, but are actually CHAdeMO connectors for ordinary level 2 chargers. Those are not very common in the US but do exist at some car dealers.
Most CHAdeMO Fast chargers in the US are Nissan standard and in their newest iterations tend to be around 100A/360V or thereabout. The one I use most often will take my 85Kwh car from 20% to 80% in about an hour.
I have not measured this directly but it seems to me that a CHAdeMO Fast will typically be about half as fast as a Supercharger. However, the CHAdeMO taper is much less abrupt than is the Supercharger, so as nearing a full charge the CHAdeMO tends to be faster.
At first blush that last comment may seem counterintuitive, but the heat load from the Supercharger is much higher than is the heat load of CHAdeMO, so the Supercharger taper is steeper to help battery cooling. Thus, the higher the charge level, the less advantage of Supercharger over CHAdeMO.
Finally, CHAdeMO station are maintenance intensive but not all locations are careful with maintenance so CHAdeMO suffers in reputation. Well maintained CHAdeMO units are very dependable, so YMMV.

Greetings. Took delivery of a blue MS 70D at the end of August. Before getting a Tesla we we're watching for them in west Omaha and saw them every so often but since we got ours I haven't seen one. Odd. Someone else told me they heard there are 44 in the Omaha area.

Has anyone had any experience with the ranger that works at Dingmans?

I saw a white MS in West Omaha yesterday. My midnight grey (or whatever it is called) is in West Omaha. I have seen a couple black ones. I don't know how many are in that area, but I have heard of one neighborhood that has three!
The ranger that I know is Thadeus; he serviced my MS. I didn't know that he worked at Dingman's. I have checked out Dingman's and they seem very knowledgeable about Teslas and want to be helpful.