Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I go back to the same question.

You yourself has said “Tesla's cash situation was probably dire mid-quarter Q1”.

We have seen all sorts of couch shaking to know that was true. Backing out from end of qtr numbers also show that mid quarter things were “dire”.

SO, why did Tesla not raise capital if it were so easy?

Why sell EAP/FSD for half price on previously purchased cars? A terrible financial move as well as it angered the earlier purchasers. This is just one example.

Why not just raise capital instead of all that chaos?

TSLAQ has its theories. I don’t know if any of it is true... However I do know that Tesla has NOT acted as if it had access to capital.

They did raise debt financing for the Shanghai GF and they did expand credit lines, both are effectively raising capital. So it's not true that Tesla hasn't raised capital recently.

The most plausible explanation for why Tesla didn't do an equity raise earlier is because Elon didn't want to. As to why Elon didn't want to earlier, there's a probably a number of reasons. One is he thought Tesla didn't need to, which proved to be true during the duration of 2018. But with the debt repayment of close to a $1B in Q1, situation has changed and he know feels like they need a bigger cash cushion than they currently have.

They did raise debt financing for the Shanghai GF and they did expand credit lines, both are effectively raising capital. So it's not true that Tesla hasn't raised capital recently.

The most plausible explanation for why Tesla didn't do an equity raise earlier is because Elon didn't want to. As to why Elon didn't want to earlier, there's a probably a number of reasons. One is he thought Tesla didn't need to, which proved to be true during the duration of 2018. But with the debt repayment of close to a $1B in Q1, situation has changed and he know feels like they need a bigger cash cushion than they currently have.
That's my feeling. Didn't Elon indicate at one point late in 2018 when the stock was in the mid 300s that they intended to issue shares for half of the $1B debt due in Q1? I can easily see Elon being optimistic and expecting the share price to support that plan. He obviously didn't expect such a brutal Q1 financially. He was expecting a pretty flat quarter profit-wise well into Q1. If Tesla had been able to keep about $500M cash instead of using it for the debt, and the quarter went somewhat as expected, even with a $200M loss, there would be a reasonable cushion to get through 2019 until Shanghai is up and running, providing increased and relatively cheap model 3 production. He indicated they already ordered tooling for model Y, so they would not need substantial financing to start production of Y at least at Fremont. Presumably, they would need more capital to establish Y production at GF1. He may have been hoping to do local debt financing for a European GF similar to China. It's my feeling that the abysmal Q1 was so unexpected that it has completely changed Elon's thinking about a capital raise now to derisk in case of more such surprises. That's the simple answer and it may very well be true.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and EinSV
Q2 will be interesting. Better be stable. Not quite as good as Q4, but something like 10% off at the worst, with a projection that the next quarter or two will show gradual improvement. Need to survive until Model Y and the China Giga plant come on line. Then FSD and robo taxis can kick it into high gear. High gear is now a phrase that we need to ditch at some point in the future in place of something EV ish.

That's my feeling. Didn't Elon indicate at one point late in 2018 when the stock was in the mid 300s that they intended to issue shares for half of the $1B debt due in Q1? I can easily see Elon being optimistic and expecting the share price to support that plan. He obviously didn't expect such a brutal Q1 financially. He was expecting a pretty flat quarter profit-wise well into Q1. If Tesla had been able to keep about $500M cash instead of using it for the debt, and the quarter went somewhat as expected, even with a $200M loss, there would be a reasonable cushion to get through 2019 until Shanghai is up and running, providing increased and relatively cheap model 3 production. He indicated they already ordered tooling for model Y, so they would not need substantial financing to start production of Y at least at Fremont. Presumably, they would need more capital to establish Y production at GF1. He may have been hoping to do local debt financing for a European GF similar to China. It's my feeling that the abysmal Q1 was so unexpected that it has completely changed Elon's thinking about a capital raise now to derisk in case of more such surprises. That's the simple answer and it may very well be true.
No, that's not correct. At the time Tesla stock was up in price, above a threshold where they got to choose how to pay off the excess. That's when he said that they would pay the excess in half cash, half stock. But after that the price was driven down, and they paid off the full amount in cash.

Is there any evidence that SEC "blocked shelf registration" for TSLA?

Again quoting others because I know nothing about this but they claim Tesla let its shelf registration filing lapse in 2018 while normally automatic extensions are a routine matter. PM me if you want the link since this is becoming quickly off topic. Don't want to ruin the only reasonably useful thread on the investor section.

How is Musk's liquidity? If they needed a billion or two in cash, couldn't he short term loan it? Or long term for that matter?
OK - perhaps this is scarier than I first thought. A recent seeking alpha article focused on Musk's borrowing of what are to me large sums of money using his SpaceX and Tesla stock as collateral. I'm not sure how much hard cash or other assets he has other than spacex and tesla, and he might be leveraged already. Sell those cars! And let's hope FSD happens sooner rather than later. Model 3 leases with no return seems to be a bet that FSD will be here and legal within 3 yrs.

Yes, but the debt based capital was allocated to the China GF only. They would need other capital to derisk the operating financials.

Sure, however acquiring GF3 specific capital still means the money doesn't need to come from the operating financials and helps overall.

If I buy a house with a mortgage, my checking account doesn't need to raise funds to pay for it. If I pay cash, I need to have that much more on hand.

(Apparently even Model 3 leasing is going to be strictly third-party leasing partners, if I read the 10-Q correctly.)
We currently offer leasing directly through our local subsidiaries for Model S, Model X and Model 3 in the U.S. and for Model S and Model X in Canada. We also offer leasing through leasing partners in certain jurisdictions.​

This quote says direct leasing for Model 3 in the US, same as S and X. Where did you see differently?
Didn't Elon indicate at one point late in 2018 when the stock was in the mid 300s that they intended to issue shares for half of the $1B debt due in Q1?
Not really. The bond terms required Tesla to notify bondholders by December 1 how they would fulfill conversion requests - stock, cash or a mix. It was a formality, Tesla would have had to notify bondholders even if the stock was at 10 bucks.

The notice would have been relevant if the stock averaged >$359.87 in February and bondholders converted instead of redeeming. But in that case Tesla had an associated call spread which opened up all kinds of scenarios to reduce or eliminate dilution and/or raise cash. Their 50/50 choice back in December was kind of a middle ground which eliminated the more extreme scenarios but still gave them some flexibility if TSLA traded above $360.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and bdy0627
This will be my last post on this cash topic, and then I will hold my peace!

There are several posts in response to my posts. I am only responding to @DaveT (to conserve bandwidth and also) because we started off the discussion on the same basis. That mid Q1 went through cash crisis and mid Q2 might as well.

I was very specifically talking about Equity, Debt and Convertible debt. That's what the table earlier I posted captured... The other kind of debt like secured debt, syndicate bank loans, and credit facilities are lot more nuanced.

The financing that Tesla got for Shanghai GF is with as many hand-cuffs as one can get. Proceeds can only be used for the Shanghai factory, comes with a very tight deadline, the financing is provided in increments based on milestones. This is not some cash that fell in Tesla's lap that they can use willy nilly for anything.

Somewhat broadly speaking increase in Credit facilities and secured debt is to provide support for growing operations. They are not meant to finance losses or pay off debts. You get to finance loses or pay debt by doing equity/debt raises.

More fundamentally, you can't say both these statements and both be valid a) Tesla went through cash crunch b) Tesla had adequate access to capital.

Maybe just poor timing and unexpected confluence of events that got management off guard is your point. Maybe it is. I just have a hard time seeing that way.

"he thought Tesla didn't need to, which proved to be true during the duration of 2018"

I don't agree with this.

2018 was a total sh- show. Tesla got by 2018 by cutting capex to the bone, acutely under investing in delivery logistics, under-investing in service infrastructure. Basically cutting every expense down - remember, that memo where Musk asked that every expense >1mil be personally approved by him?

I mean think about this, they were delivering cars in parking lots off Target and McDonalds. That's seriously disrespectful... Paper work was all over the place. People got resecheduled every which way. Taking even 4 attempts. Did Apple ever do this, despite 50 to 100 fold unit volumes? Even Macy's in holiday season doesn't bahave that badly. They are just selling shoes and underwear! Macy's simply hires excess temp staff during the holiday season. Musk called on fans to help out! (lol).

For instance, why isn't Semi in production? or atleast why didn't some preparatory steps happen? Perhaps it's because Tesla didn't have cash for associated Capex?

If the point is to burn down the brand, amputate product lines, derail development - and then turn around and say - hey, look, Musk won the argument. He didn't need the capital, just like he said.

Well, fine, Musk wins the argument but loses the battle.

All in all, most folks point here is that Tesla didn't need capital nor it tried to access capital. Thus it can't be proved that they are somehow "blocked" from capital access.

My point is - all of Tesla's actions point to dire need for capital. Instead of raising capital, it did extreme maneuvering. Price of which is showing up now in terms of bad reputation and thus incrementally lower demand. Was this simply a strategic mistake or was this some form of "block"? That remains to be seen.

Meanwhile: here is a snippet from Adam Jonas this morning "If and how Tesla may have access to capital is a top theme in discussions with investors, the analyst said"

This is not as much of a conspiracy as one might think.

This will be my last post on this cash topic, and then I will hold my peace!

There are several posts in response to my posts. I am only responding to @DaveT (to conserve bandwidth and also) because we started off the discussion on the same basis. That mid Q1 went through cash crisis and mid Q2 might as well.

I was very specifically talking about Equity, Debt and Convertible debt. That's what the table earlier I posted captured... The other kind of debt like secured debt, syndicate bank loans, and credit facilities are lot more nuanced.

The financing that Tesla got for Shanghai GF is with as many hand-cuffs as one can get. Proceeds can only be used for the Shanghai factory, comes with a very tight deadline, the financing is provided in increments based on milestones. This is not some cash that fell in Tesla's lap that they can use willy nilly for anything.

Somewhat broadly speaking increase in Credit facilities and secured debt is to provide support for growing operations. They are not meant to finance losses or pay off debts. You get to finance loses or pay debt by doing equity/debt raises.

More fundamentally, you can't say both these statements and both be valid a) Tesla went through cash crunch b) Tesla had adequate access to capital.

Maybe just poor timing and unexpected confluence of events that got management off guard is your point. Maybe it is. I just have a hard time seeing that way.

"he thought Tesla didn't need to, which proved to be true during the duration of 2018"

I don't agree with this.

2018 was a total sh- show. Tesla got by 2018 by cutting capex to the bone, acutely under investing in delivery logistics, under-investing in service infrastructure. Basically cutting every expense down - remember, that memo where Musk asked that every expense >1mil be personally approved by him?

I mean think about this, they were delivering cars in parking lots off Target and McDonalds. That's seriously disrespectful... Paper work was all over the place. People got resecheduled every which way. Taking even 4 attempts. Did Apple ever do this, despite 50 to 100 fold unit volumes? Even Macy's in holiday season doesn't bahave that badly. They are just selling shoes and underwear! Macy's simply hires excess temp staff during the holiday season. Musk called on fans to help out! (lol).

For instance, why isn't Semi in production? or atleast why didn't some preparatory steps happen? Perhaps it's because Tesla didn't have cash for associated Capex?

If the point is to burn down the brand, amputate product lines, derail development - and then turn around and say - hey, look, Musk won the argument. He didn't need the capital, just like he said.

Well, fine, Musk wins the argument but loses the battle.

All in all, most folks point here is that Tesla didn't need capital nor it tried to access capital. Thus it can't be proved that they are somehow "blocked" from capital access.

My point is - all of Tesla's actions point to dire need for capital. Instead of raising capital, it did extreme maneuvering. Price of which is showing up now in terms of bad reputation and thus incrementally lower demand. Was this simply a strategic mistake or was this some form of "block"? That remains to be seen.

Meanwhile: here is a snippet from Adam Jonas this morning "If and how Tesla may have access to capital is a top theme in discussions with investors, the analyst said"

This is not as much of a conspiracy as one might think.

Yes but raising capital isn't "free" either. You always bring more people on board to whom you'll owe after (in this case not at a fixed date, but still...).

Point is there are many logical reason other than just wanting "to prove" to not raise capital.

Reactions: neroden
That indeed is a very good question.

Let me flip that around and ask this: So why exactly did Tesla not raise capital in Q1 or even better in 2018?

Tesla raised capital every single year - except 2018!

Here is summary, including Equity and Debt, but NOT any secured debt or loans, for TSLA and SCTY combined (detailed table at the end):

View attachment 402036

So what happened in 2018? Why not raise in 2018 especially now that we know that the firm was 'single digit weeks' away from bankruptcy?

One theory is EM was just overly optimistic and he did not foresee the demand crash and cash crunch.

There are other theories that Tesla is somehow blocked from raising capital. The block could be any of
a) Lack of investor appetite from Buy side, especially bond market, developed a sour feeling given how Musk pumped/handled the last 1.8 bil raise
b) Lack of support from Sell side
c) Regulatory (SEC) block - or just mere lack of cooperation to approve deals

In my mind there were certainly attempts to raise capital, there were lots of loose data points. But the most notable is Semi/Roadster unveil. Musk could have easily said we need to raise capital to build the manufacturing capcity for these. But instead he was rallying the single piece Semi around for deposit chump change.

So if we don't know why Tesla didn't raise capital in Q1 or earlier. We still don't know what might (continue to) block it.

Finally now in Q1 10-Q doc we see the mention of "we may choose to seek alternative financing sources". This to me very much reads like the Silverlake deal that SCTY did, which basically marked the beginning of the end.

Having said all that. Liquidity or lack of only changes the timeline somewhat. Ultimately the unwinding, if at all, would happen fundamentally due to demand. Lots of people are getting carried away with "management guidance". Note that all of the guidance is contingent on the assumption that Tesla will sell through everything they intend to produce at current prices.

Full capital raise table:

View attachment 402041
While it was conjecture- you were completely wrong here sir. Noted for future reference.

While it was conjecture- you were completely wrong here sir. Noted for future reference.

Yes, correct.

Then the issue for shareholders is - why run the firm the way it was run? We were all looking at MUCH higher sp by now, weren't we? I have long argued for a cap raise all the way from when the module making issues were revealed. I was just disappointed that they didn't all this while and couldn't (and still can't) make sense of it.

Reactions: replicant
Yes, correct.

Then the issue for shareholders is - why run the firm the way it was run? We were all looking at MUCH higher sp by now, weren't we? I have long argued for a cap raise all the way from when the module making issues were revealed. I was just disappointed that they didn't all this while and couldn't (and still can't) make sense of it.
100% fair comment. Hubris / shorts got to Elon and emboldened him. Who knows but this was dumb on their part