Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav system freezes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Sep 2017 built MS75D. The nav system has frozen 7 or 8 times over the past 4 months - usually after the car has been parked, at least once while driving and using the nav. Rebooting the MCU does not solve this. The only solution is to stop, and use the power off switch to completely shut down the car, then wait 3 - 5 minutes before restarting the car. This was the advice of Tesla Service when I called on 2 occasions.

I've not found any recent threads related to this so I'm wondering if others have experienced it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm on the 2017.50.3 software version.

Reactions: viper2ko
I've had this issue periodically over the last 5 years, though rebooting the MCU has resolved the issue.

What you are explaining isn't normal - and should be correctable. If you'd had the car longer, I'd recommend clearing the navigation history - but that shouldn't be needed for a late 2017 car.

Two suggestions:
  1. Is there anything you are doing that might be causing this? Are you doing anything with the browser or media player that may be different from other owners, which might cause a software conflict with the navigation software? Does this happen only when you are on a route - or when the navigation map is being displayed on the console? If so, then try simplifying what you are doing - and see if that reduces or eliminates the freezes.
  2. Are you having problems with the GPS? Is the car's position on the correct and tracking your car's movement. If not, then you could have a GPS hardware issue, which may require replacement.
  3. You should pursue this with Tesla. Call their phone support and ask them to review the logs in your car to determine if they are seeing any diagnostic messages. The service center may need to replace the MCU.
I haven't seen the freeze problem in our S 100D (delivered last March) - only on earlier software releases for our S P85.

If the console is freezing periodically - this is not normal. Tesla should see something in the vehicle logs. The next time it happens, immediately call Tesla's phone support and give them the time when the freeze happened. That will help them when they are reviewing the logs - to see what was happening with your car immediately before the freeze.

It's possible you have a software problem - perhaps something didn't get installed properly - and having the service center force a software update to all relevant components might correct the problem - though you may also need a hardware replacement to ensure this problem is eliminated.

Thank you for the reply. The freezing usually happens when I have a route plugged in but at least once it was frozen when I was leaving my garage with no route. I also can't correlate the freezing to any one other action like using the audio system or other function.

The GPS does seem to be accurate and working correctly when not frozen.

I did call Tesla for 2 of these but never heard back re the logs. I will keep calling and keep a log of occurrences.

Somm, I had a problem like this the other day. The Icon on the Map froze but the GPS was working because I had a route planned and the blue line was moving. I didn't even notice at first until my AP was limited to 45mph on a road I drive often. Then I notice my Icon on the map was frozen at my starting point. I called SC and they looked into it and seemed to think it was a Software Bug. They pushed an update to me and since then no issues at all.

Somm, I had a problem like this the other day. The Icon on the Map froze but the GPS was working because I had a route planned and the blue line was moving. I didn't even notice at first until my AP was limited to 45mph on a road I drive often. Then I notice my Icon on the map was frozen at my starting point. I called SC and they looked into it and seemed to think it was a Software Bug. They pushed an update to me and since then no issues at all.
Thanks for the reply. Which software update did they push to you?

If Tesla pushes an update to you and it still doesn't fix the problem - you have the local Service Center take the car, and verify that the software update has been installed correctly to every subsystem.

If many people were seeing this issue - we'd see a lot of reports on the forums. You should be able to get this fixed - and likely it's a software installation issue.

Something else you can try - and something that's likely to happen if you take your car into service. In the settings - there is a way to completely clear all settings and user data. You could try doing that - and see if the problem recurs after you've down a "hard reset" to the software, and put everything back to default settings.

This is annoying to do - something Tesla did to our S 100D several months ago when they replaced the center touchscreen due to adhesive issues with the touchscreen on some early 2017 models. And it meant we lost all of our settings, navigation/media player favorites, WiFi, Bluetooth, ... - which was inconvenient to re-enter. Though given the severity of the freeze problems, might be worthwhile to try.

This is rather interesting. Our car was delivered on Sept 11 2017. We had this issue twice and in both times, when the car would wake up the next morning, it was working again. I knew it was something software for the last time it happen, I pulled out of the garage and it snapped to the current location as if it was not waiting on any input from satellites. Called service the first time, they were no help. Wife left for a trip out of town and the GPS was working. Service called her and confirmed it was working. Second time, we just parked the car and the next morning it was working. I attempted the turn everything off approach with no luck. That was the only two times it has happened. See below what firmware we have been using. With over 17K miles, all has been well

tesla software.JPG

Here are a few threads on the subject as well

GPS Position Stuck??!

GPS problem with Model X
Thanks for the info on your previous problems and the links to the other threads.

I talked with Telsa support today and they said these GPS/Nav stuck reports have reduced in frequency. He also said he would push a 'reset' (not an update) to my car. He reiterated that leaving the car parked produces the same "power down" state as invoking that through the control settings, which tends to correct this.

Hopefully, I will get the latest 2018 update soon as well, which has resolved the issue for some.

Thanks for the info on your previous problems and the links to the other threads.

I talked with Telsa support today and they said these GPS/Nav stuck reports have reduced in frequency. He also said he would push a 'reset' (not an update) to my car. He reiterated that leaving the car parked produces the same "power down" state as invoking that through the control settings, which tends to correct this.

Hopefully, I will get the latest 2018 update soon as well, which has resolved the issue for some.
A few weeks ago we were having issues with our GPS. Whenever we plugged in a route the voice would just stutter very fast and we could not get it to stop unless we cancelled the route. It only lasted a couple day. I rebooted once no help. The second day we turned off the sound. Third day left the garage and all was good. I know we got an update around that time so that may have been the cure. Not that this is of any help but they are planning on upgrading the GPS system in the near future. Best of luck.

If Tesla pushes an update to you and it still doesn't fix the problem - you have the local Service Center take the car, and verify that the software update has been installed correctly to every subsystem.

If many people were seeing this issue - we'd see a lot of reports on the forums. You should be able to get this fixed - and likely it's a software installation issue.

Something else you can try - and something that's likely to happen if you take your car into service. In the settings - there is a way to completely clear all settings and user data. You could try doing that - and see if the problem recurs after you've down a "hard reset" to the software, and put everything back to default settings.

This is annoying to do - something Tesla did to our S 100D several months ago when they replaced the center touchscreen due to adhesive issues with the touchscreen on some early 2017 models. And it meant we lost all of our settings, navigation/media player favorites, WiFi, Bluetooth, ... - which was inconvenient to re-enter. Though given the severity of the freeze problems, might be worthwhile to try.
This was the route that the SC took yesterday. They saved my settings and then did a factory reset and reloaded the latest update - 2018.10. Quite painless - I only needed to reprogram my homelink settings. We’ll see if this fixes it.

The SC tech said they have seen more cases of a Nav freeze since last fall. He said they believe that the maps get corrupted when an update fails or partially fails.

Thanks again for your advice!

I have a s 2013 85 and my MCU shuts off periodically wondering if anyone else has experience this and what the solution was? The SC told me there were some bugs in the firmware and if the issue continues they would replace the entire unit. Anyone else had this issue?

I have a s 2013 85 and my MCU shuts off periodically wondering if anyone else has experience this and what the solution was? The SC told me there were some bugs in the firmware and if the issue continues they would replace the entire unit. Anyone else had this issue?
We have a 2014 that just started doing this today. I will follow this string and hopefully someone else has found a solution already. If they solve it for me I will let you know as well.