Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 TESLA S --- GPS STUCK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GPS on my 2017 Tesla S gets stuck frequently. The problem goes away by itself within a day or so, and then comes back a week later. This has been happening for the last 12 months or so. I brought the car to Tesla service. They kept the car for 10 days, and even experienced the stuck GPS problem during a test drive, but still could not offer a solution. They charged me $400+ for their investigation. The problem has happened at least twice since then.

I saw that many others on this forum have been experiencing the same issue. I am wondering if anyone has been able to solve the problem permanently.

Live next to an airport? I get gps issues whenever I’m near my local major airport.
The military does jam GPS, but when they do advanced notice is sent to pilots. A lot of testing and development is done at Edwards AFB so I have seen GPS jamming when flying, it only lasts a minute or two.

I also used to be an Air Traffic Controller, no one is jamming GPS near a major international airport. Younger pilots would have issues navigating without GPS, much in the same way younger drivers would have issues navigating with a paper map.

GPS on my 2017 Tesla S gets stuck frequently. The problem goes away by itself within a day or so, and then comes back a week later. This has been happening for the last 12 months or so. I brought the car to Tesla service. They kept the car for 10 days, and even experienced the stuck GPS problem during a test drive, but still could not offer a solution. They charged me $400+ for their investigation. The problem has happened at least twice since then.

I saw that many others on this forum have been experiencing the same issue. I am wondering if anyone has been able to solve the problem permanently.
My guess. You have a loose wire/coax somewhere.

I had an intermittent GPS issue on one of two GPS’s in my plane, it was newly installed. Took a while for the shop to find the problem, a weak ground.

Upvote 0
I had an issue with my 2023 within a couple weeks of purchase. I took it to Tesla and they replaced the GPS antenna. Worked for almost 2 weeks, then suddenly it stuck and would not get unstuck. Took it to Tesla, and they ran some diagnostics found a lot of resistance due to paint on the ground connection and wound up cleaning up the grounds, which improved the measured resistance. They also discovered that the connection to the GPS antenna to be soft set (I assume this means loose). They re-connected and now everything has been working fine since. It’s been over 3 weeks, so I am hoping that it has been fixed for good. I have a thread on it on the User Interface subforum.

I am guessing that with a 2017, as others have suggested, you may have a loose/broken connection somewhere.

Reactions: KyleDay
Upvote 0
My 2023 MSP had the same GPS problems. The SC did the following. For last 3 weeks it’s working normal.

IMG_6643.jpeg

Reactions: f308gt4
Upvote 0