Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: A brief look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I played with the Nav function again going to my friend's remote house in the mountains. I dialed in his address and requested navigation. It worked and gave me a good route. I panned and zoomed to the last tricky section of the route that I knew was out of cell coverage on the 17" display thinking that it would show me on that saved map. Well somewhere out of cell coverage, without touching the map, it forgot the nice map that I had preloaded and gave me the mountain, grey screen-of-confusion. :frown:

I entered in my home address for the return trip and it complained about no connectivity for the search. Luckily, I went to the history, selected my address, and it was able to generate a route home (without a 17" map display).

This sucks big time, where I live I'm 30min away from 3 different countries. Data roaming costs about 8$ per MB in 2 of those. Offline navigation with maps and an address search is a musst in my eyes. Doing a navigation on an online service like Google Maps is just cheap, especially in a seperately paid tech package. Especially as many 7 year old cars do have it and every 200$ external navigation system too...

My in head map usually has the direction I'm going as north. Perhaps it's a product of growing up in the digital age. I can't remember ever using a paper map. When I look at my current nav (has google earth just like the S), I like it to face the direction I'm heading in so I can see what's coming up and around me quickly.
Ditto here! It is very frustrating not to have this option! I'm sure I'll gather pet peeves along the way, superseded by a healthy dose of OMG Love, but this one right now is at the top of the list! :mad:
But like they used to say when I lived in Chicago... if you don't like the weather, wait a minute! :scared:

Looks like Forza Horizon likes the look of the Model S center navigation. And it works well in the game. Hope it's working as well in Model S.

on screen navigation.PNG

The (behind-steering-wheel) in-dash navigation works well for me. On the 17", while I'd prefer it to offer "up is forward" the "up is north" doesn't bother me all the much.
I agree that the behind the wheel Nav works well, but you have to be in Nav mode to have it. If you merely have the Google Map on your 17", and maybe you were told that someone was waiting at such and such a corner, but did not have an address or business name nor did you put it in the Nav, then looking down at the 17", albeit briefly, can be disorienting as evidenced by the fact that every GPS system, whether OEM or aftermarket, that I've ever had has given a one-click button option to give you the 'always point North' or 'always point in the direction the car is headed' option. I'm happy for everyone who is comfortable with the 'always point North' option, but if you were not comfortable with the 'always point in the direction the car is headed' option and THAT was the default now you're in my shoes and wouldn't it be nice to have that, "seemingly" simple option to toggle between the two. Oh and by the way, while I do prefer the 'always point in the direction the car is headed' option, it is my wife who is having the REAL issues with the current set-up and there are a number of accouterments that she HAD in her last car which are not present in the current Model S. Each one raises her frustration level and this seems to be a "seemingly" easy fix. There is a reason that there are 31 flavors of ice cream because variety is the spice of life & not everyone likes Rocky Road flavor like me! :tongue:

+1. I definitely agree that having the map pointing up in the direction of travel would be very helpful (and is a fairly standard nav option). In addition, I'm surprised there aren't other standard options such as route preference selection (e.g., fastest route vs shortest distance, and avoid highways) as well as POIs. I would also like the ability to hide the route instruction box on the 17" screen since it covers a third of the map in split-screen mode and is fairly redundant with the route instructions which appear on the dashboard.

I'm surprised there aren't other standard options such as route preference selection (e.g., fastest route vs shortest distance, and avoid highways) as well as POIs. I would also like the ability to hide the route instruction box on the 17" screen since it covers a third of the map in split-screen mode and is fairly redundant with the route instructions which appear on the dashboard.
+1 and +1. What I'd love to be able to do is to dial between "shortest" and "fastest." Sometimes the shortest route is incredibly tedious, but there may be some slightly slower shortcuts. Ideally, what we'd have isn't "shortest" but "least energy," which would add penalties for stop signs, traffic lights, and similar energy drains.

I discovered something about the nav system today on my way to work that I think could be improved.

Traffic came to a standstill, and I had the nav screen visible with traffic, so I could see that there was a short red segment around the next exit. (I love having Google traffic in the car!!)

I wasn't worried about this taking very long, because it was a short little red segment. But after traffic basically sat fairly still for a few minutes, I thought to toggle the Traffic overlay off and then on again.

Sure enough, there was now a much longer segment, with the dreaded dashed red and black depiction meaning that things are basically at a dead stop.

So, I think it would be useful for the traffic depiction to update periodically. This happens "automatically" when you're driving, because the map is having to bring in new tiles. But if you're zoomed way out, or not moving very fast, that tile fetching isn't happening, and the traffic can get stale.