Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nürburgring lap time for P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
I think he would have been impressed more if somebody would have told him to keep suspension in the low setting all the way. It was in standard for most of the time, except that it switched to low (at 2:07 mark) when he tried to keep up with the GT3 RS "going full chat"
Also putting it on Low regen tends to keep the acceleration limiter at bay for a little longer.

Also putting it on Low regen tends to keep the acceleration limiter at bay for a little longer.

That is a nice tip.

I think that with the introduction of AWD to Model S the issue of power limiting mode might be resolved, at least partially. In spite of what is mentioned in this article, the power limiter is most likely triggered by PEM and/or motor temperature, as continuous rating of the motor is 69kW and the rating of PEM is most likely optimized around this point as well. I bet that having two motors and two PEMs will make the battery limiting, rather the motor/PEM, resulting in higher output for a longer time.

Could AWD Model S be track worthy? May be...

In spite of what is mentioned in this article, the power limiter is most likely triggered by PEM and/or motor temperature, as continuous rating of the motor is 69kW and the rating of PEM is most likely optimized around this point as well. I bet that having two motors and two PEMs will make the battery limiting, rather the motor/PEM, resulting in higher output for a longer time.
I think it's battery protection, as discussed in one of the other threads. Which is a bummer, because the "fix" would likely be to use a different chemistry -- likely with less range.

That said, a Track Edition Gen 3 that only had 100 miles rated but could last 20 minutes of hot laps on the track... would definitely be within my budget.

Why improved cooling of the battery would not help?
My interpretation of the prior discussion is that improving the cooling to the point where it made a significant difference (vs. Tesla's current design) would add at least another 5 digit sum to the vehicle price tag. Or would require some influx of chemicals (between runs at the track, or such) that would make it impractical for usage by most people.

I honestly think this is a respectable performance for the car. The driver was going the correct line most of the time, a professionell racer could have gone a lot faster with lowered tire pressure and temperature.

The Nürburgring Nordschleife has a very long downhill and equally long uphill part. Until the fast 2 right handers (with the GT3 RS overtaking) everything goes downhill, than there is a long straight up and than another major downhill section. This is the reason why the Tesla is capable of driving 3mins before going into limp mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed Tesla regarding the limiter and the first response was "what are you referring too" then after an explanation they came back with:

The Model S will take safety of the battery and/or drivetrain at a higher priority than performance under hard usage conditions. Because the “D” announcement is so new the full details are still emerging so I don’t have a solid answer for you. I do know that if the Model S is pressed it will still limit the amount of power available however I am not aware of if that limit has changed vs your P85. I do believe that because of the extra power available the limiting will still be less than the P85. I hope that this answers your questions as the information I currently have is limited and hopefully we will have more information as time goes on.

Basically I don't see them addressing the limiter as it was pointed out by some on the TM forum we are the 3%

Back in 2013 Elon was quoted saying that they were supposed to tweak the S for the Europeans'

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...er-autobahn-tuning-for-top-speed-over-130-mph

I still take my P85 to the track and it is more fun the laughing when I am not limiting power but once the limiter kicks in its kinda disappointing

All the models will reach a thermal limit at some point with enough hard driving. As the Tesla person said, the car will reduce power to protect the battery and drivetrain. I'm sure it will do it on the D as well.

-m