Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nürburgring lap time for P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiousity I test drove the German Autobahn near to the Zevenaar SuperCharger.
My P+ reaches 214 km/h and stays there for 10 km, but then limits to 204 km/h. Forgot to note the exact kW's, but very soon the limit of around 200 kW becomes apparent (orange dotted line).
So this means no impressive laptime on the Nordschleife.

I drove the German Autobahn as well.
My 85S reaches 202 km/h.
After a couple of times full acceleration from 100 to 200 km/h ( 62 - 124 mph) power was limited to 160 kW.
After about 30 seconds at lower speeds full power was available again.
In my opinion the MS is not ready yet for the Nordschleife.

The acceleration itself is very impressive. It goes on and on. When reaching max. speed it feels as if the car is braking.
Downside: steering is indirect at higher speeds. I am still wating for the Autobahn upgrade that was promised by Elon in october 2013.

Ok, he hit the limiter about 3.5 minutes into the lap. His total time was 10 minutes 29 seconds. More details once he posts them, but he's currently driving around and visiting Tilburg etc. At least one of their laps was disturbed due to a BMW doing a major crash with a roll over that had the track sprayed with parts ;)

Just out of curiousity I test drove the German Autobahn near to the Zevenaar SuperCharger.
My P+ reaches 214 km/h and stays there for 10 km, but then limits to 204 km/h. Forgot to note the exact kW's, but very soon the limit of around 200 kW becomes apparent (orange dotted line).
So this means no impressive laptime on the Nordschleife.

That's a bummer. It seems like that would seriously cut into high-speed autobahn commuting let alone fun on the Nordschleife.

But lost by 6 seconds to a Ford Transit Van. Let's just say this car is not made for performance driving (rightfully so imho) and forget this thread.

I don't think that's the attitude we should take. If we want the Model S to be a real alternative to the M5, E63 etc. we should be pushing the aftermarket and factory to enable it to perform basic sport sedan functions like one lap of the ring or 10-20 laps of your local track.

Last edited:
But lost by 6 seconds to a Ford Transit Van. Let's just say this car is not made for performance driving (rightfully so imho) and forget this thread.
No offense to whoever was driving, but if you took the driver who drove the Transit Van (which I expect was a pro driver) and put them in a Model S, they would probably be able to do a better time than they did in the van. We have to be careful about comparing times between drivers of vastly different skill levels.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that the attitude we should take. If we want the Model S to be a real alternative to the M5, E63 etc. we should be pushing the aftermarket and factory to enable it to perform basic sport sedan functions like one lap of the ring or 10-20 laps of your local track.
Something that's really easy to implement even by Tesla would be a toggle-able power limiter. Then the driver can dial in the optimal power limit to use during a lap without overheating. I think a main problem with the current power limit is how it cuts in half no matter and also at inopportune times.

Model S full power is 320kW? If so that's already 3.7C current continuous. At 1C, Model S would deplete the whole battery in one hour. At 3.7C full to empty in 16 minutes. I guess the limits are set to protect the battery.

16 min would be enough for a ring lap or two. If Tesla really cared to be a player at the ring they could put a supercharger at the track. Or maybe you could have a diesel generator with a charger on a trailer to leave in the paddock-- something the size of tire trailers that some people tow.

Assuming the limit is temperature in some drivetrain component, with better instrumentation I am sure you could vastly improve the lap times.
You would have to drive intelligently to manage the drivetrain temperature. Don't use max power for short sections, only use max power to accelerate into the longest stretches.
Start braking a little early and use both feet to avoid regen. Ease off the accelerator early on medium length sections and coast briefly before braking.

I think sacrificing a little speed on the short stretches and conserving the temperature for the longer ones would lead to vastly better lap times.