Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Range 273??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so the trip I made today was 175 miles... I couldn't even make it there at a "full charge" at 274 miles!! I was going 75-77 MPH, does going that fast make that much of a difference?? Every mile I went i'd guess my range went down 2 miles. This is really disappointing I could even go 2.5 hours away on a single change... Very upset about this.. Hopefully the battery is somehow bad? Thoughts please???

IMG_9718.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: coconutboy84
I’ve come to find out that many things can negatively affect your “mileage”, such as...
- going uphill
- traveling against the wind
- cold weather
- traveling at fast speeds

While these factors can also negatively affect gas cars, it doesn’t affect gas cars to the same degree. And you worry less about it, because there are gas stations everywhere.

Reactions: house9 and hcdavis3
Looks like you are traveling south? I lived in Kansas for a number of years and you could always tell which way was north was because the trees were permanently bent in that direction due to the prevailing south-to-north wind.

If that is the case you are fighting three big hits against your range:
- 75+ mph requires a lot of energy. This is the speed I usually travel at as well and you'll take a big hit on range, like 25% or more just due to this
- temp. Your gage in the pic says 40f. Another factor which will decrease range, say 10% or more
- Direction. Depending on the speed the wind could be a huge factor here as well. You are fighting the prevailing south-to-north wind and can take another chunk out of your range. Say another 20% or so.

In the first pic notice your range estimate leaves you at 5%, so your vehicle was actually pretty close with what it estimated at the beginning of your trip.

As was mentioned above, the range of an EV will vary much, much more than a gas vehicle. I bet you'll get much better range on the way back home assuming the wind is in your favor. Probably won't get EPA range at freeway speed, but closer.

If it was set to 100%, then the MY is estimating a range of 274 miles (based on the way you typically drive). But it is just an estimate. You could get more, or less.

This is not true and I don’t understand why people keep saying this. It clearly states in the manual

“The displayed range may decrease faster than the actual distance driven. When fully charged, the driving range displayed in Tesla vehicles is based on EPA certification and does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions. To view estimated range based on energy consumption, open the Energy app to display the graph.”

This is not true and I don’t understand why people keep saying this. It clearly states in the manual

“The displayed range may decrease faster than the actual distance driven. When fully charged, the driving range displayed in Tesla vehicles is based on EPA certification and does not account for your personal driving patterns or external conditions. To view estimated range based on energy consumption, open the Energy app to display the graph.”
I've even had the service center tell me this, which is clearly wrong. As you said, displayed range is EPA rated range based upon battery capacity. Period.

I was traveling west, i'm unsure about the wind. It said I would of had 5% left but I wouldn't have, it was calculating that if I was going 5-10 MPH slower. I would not have made it since I was losing 1.5-2 miles (or so) every mile I went. So this is accurate?? I didn't make it 175 miles on a "FULL" 274 miles (still confused by this) because I was going 5-7 MPH over the speed limit when it was 40 degrees? Still seems off to me and disappointing. Now I need to stop again or twice to get home from a 2.5 hour drive.

I was traveling west, i'm unsure about the wind. It said I would of had 5% left but I wouldn't have, it was calculating that if I was going 5-10 MPH slower. I would not have made it since I was losing 1.5-2 miles (or so) every mile I went. So this is accurate?? I didn't make it 175 miles on a "FULL" 274 miles (still confused by this) because I was going 5-7 MPH over the speed limit when it was 40 degrees? Still seems off to me and disappointing. Now I need to stop again or twice to get home from a 2.5 hour drive.
you gotta do some reading up on EV's dude. this is very normal.

So going 5-7 over in 40 degrees drops me from 274 miles to around 165? Not sure if most are aware of this.. If they were I doubt most would even consider buying one.

LOL. As someone who currently drives an 84 mile range 2015 Fiat 500e while waiting for my Model Y, this is hilarious. It has the same issues of hills, speed, temperature, and wind impacting the range and this is (I thought?) common knowledge among EV owners. I can't even charge at level 2 chargers with my Fiat. How often do you drive more than 165 miles at a time? With superchargers, I feel the Model Y range is more than sufficient.

What you're experiencing doesn't sound out of the ordinary. High speed, elevation change and tempurature are the three primary factors that will zap your range. It appears all three were working against you. This isn't a Tesla drawback, it's physics. The same happens to other EVs and ICE vehicles (to a lesser extent).

So going 5-7 over in 40 degrees drops me from 274 miles to around 165? Not sure if most are aware of this.. If they were I doubt most would even consider buying one.

Unlike gas cars, EVs get worse mileage on the freeway than they do around town. Even if you had stuck to the speed limit in ideal conditions, on a flat road, you still would not get the EPA rated range on the freeway.

What did you average in Wh/mi on your drive? For reference, I average ~300 Wh/mi on my 90% freeway commute driving at 75 mph.

Consider this; your Model Y carries the same amount of energy as about three gallons of gas. It is extremely efficient at using that energy and can go ~300 miles on that little bit if electricity. Because it is so efficient, what would be minor variations in conditions for a gas car can have a big impact on range for your EV.

It was jjrandorin who finally convinced me to stop obsessing over perceived range loss and battery degradation. He asked does my current state actually impact my ability to drive? The answer is no. My “degradation” can be directly attributed to my driving habits. Mostly short drives of 10 miles or less. Im very grateful to you jj. You officially ended my ridiculous obsession. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

New issue, on the way home I clearly had to stop at a supercharging station again. And i'm only charging at 208 MPH currently, the photo is from about 10 minutes before posting this. I asked a Model S owner 4 stalls away what he was getting and he said 450.. I was there before him and getting the same if that matters.. Now is this normal too?????

IMG_9725.jpg

Range vs speed is fairly straightforward. 78 MPH is 30% faster than 60 MPH, so your wh/mi will be about 30% higher. The square in the wind resistance affects this linearly because the speed drops the drive time.

Here is where headwind gets ugly. Driving 60 a 18 MPH headwind will increase your wh/mi by 69%. The 1.3x factor for wind resistance isn't benefited by a shorter drive time, so the hit is 1.3 * 1.3=1.69.