Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP All Season vs Summer Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tires on my '22 MYP need to be replaced. Currently running summer tires but when scheduling the replacement it gives me an option for summer or all season. So, just wanted to ask the group if there was consensus on one being any better than the other. I'm considering all season but I wonder if they are the same noise level, handle the same, etc. Is there anybody out there who has driven both that could comment on your experiences? TIA!

I have both. In fact I recently changed from all-seasons to summer tires on my MYP.

The all-seasons are a little quieter and softer. And they brake a whole lot better when it's below 40 degrees.

But oh, the grip on those summer tires is magnificent. If you have space to store a set of tires, having separate summer and winter sets is my favorite option.

Everything on your car is, quite literally, riding on your tires. A good summer and winter set is the safest as well as the most fun. Though all-seasons are cheaper and more convenient.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I agree with @ChadS on this. The only additional qualifier would be, frankly, where in the US you are and what weather you can reasonably expect there. I have been rolling around on summer tires only in the cars my wife and I drive for the past 20 years, but I live in Southern California, and the number of times I would need to drive in weather below 40 degrees where I live is quite small.

It sometimes gets in the 30s overnight during the winter, but by the time I need to leave for work, its low 40s at least. We get rain where I live, no snow, and the Michelins are great in the rain.

If I lived someplace with "real winter", I would probably WANT summers and winters, but probably settle for all seasons since I wouldnt want to store 2 sets of tires for 2 different vehicles.

Reactions: Park2670 and ChadS
Asked for an appointment to install new tires on the MYP and this was the estimate. Does this (tires cost) seem high or is it just me?

Attachments

• IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: fiehlsport
Asked for an appointment to install new tires on the MYP and this was the estimate. Does this (tires cost) seem high or is it just me?
Tesla can sell you the OE size tire for your Performance Model Y but does not stock other sizes or brands of tire beyond the ones that come standard with the Tesla vehicle. You may have to wait longer for Tesla Service center to receive the tires and schedule an appointment to have the tires installed.

You can save approximately 30% if you shop online for tires. The Tire Rack experience may be new to some but I have been purchasing tires from Tire Rack for almost 25 years. (One time, many years ago Tire Rack shipped me 4 tires and 1 tire had the wrong speed rating. Tire Rack quickly corrected this error and exchanged the tire.) When you purchase online you can have the tires shipped to your home location or a local Tire Rack affiliated tire shop. If you have the tires shipped directly to the tire shop, once the tires arrive the tire shop will contact you to schedule an appointment to install the tires. In some markets Tire Rack now has mobile tire service that can come to your home to install the tires.

You will have to pay for shipping so this will add ~$140 to the cost. In Maryland you don't pay sales tax on the cost of shipping. You would also need to have a local shop install the tires (mounted and balanced) for approximately $30 per wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonB65