Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Roadster - Looks like someone tried to jack it :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised, as I'm sure you all are, that the Alpine was untouched.

Bonnie,

As terrible as this was, it is nice to know you are able to maintain a sense of humor. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face (as I wait to get my Roadster back as it has been in the body shop for nearly a month after someone didn't set the parking brake on a Kubota at the Air Guard base, so it rolled downhill and its exhaust punched a hole in my front fender…)

Have a great day!

David

Over a month ago I had my alpine w910 stolen while parked and playing tennis match at Laney College. Thief did crack part of carbon fiber wrap but not enough to warrant replacement..

Was your car locked with the top on, or open?

Bonnie, very sorry to hear about the damage to your car.

So to the larger question: is it possible to hot-wire a Roadster and drive it off without having the key?

On an aside, I've always had a bit of a quandary with convertibles. I figure it takes someone with a pocket knife about 3 seconds to make their way through a soft top if they want in, and the damage to the top will cost more to replace than anything I normally have in the car that they could steal (other than taking the whole car). Weighing cost to replace "stuff" vs cost to replace the top, I get sorely tempted to leave it open.

Bonnie, sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad the damage was relatively minor (minor meaning 6 weeks for parts and a few thousand dollars in Tesla-speak).

So as I stated, I don't know if the valet locked it. I'm betting he did not. And yes, the soft top was on & there was no damage to it (which would indicate the car was unlocked).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised, as I'm sure you all are, that the Alpine was untouched.

Bonnie,

As terrible as this was, it is nice to know you are able to maintain a sense of humor. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face (as I wait to get my Roadster back as it has been in the body shop for nearly a month after someone didn't set the parking brake on a Kubota at the Air Guard base, so it rolled downhill and its exhaust punched a hole in my front fender…)

Have a great day!

David

Thanks :). I generally look at bumps I encounter as either problems or annoyances. Problems are when people near you are very ill or you don't have money to buy food. Stuff like that. And annoyances pretty much cover everything else. Getting upset over this seems silly. I still get to drive a Roadster every day. Pretty darn lucky, if you ask me.

On an aside, I've always had a bit of a quandary with convertibles. I figure it takes someone with a pocket knife about 3 seconds to make their way through a soft top if they want in, and the damage to the top will cost more to replace than anything I normally have in the car that they could steal (other than taking the whole car). Weighing cost to replace "stuff" vs cost to replace the top, I get sorely tempted to leave it open.

Bonnie, sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad the damage was relatively minor (minor meaning 6 weeks for parts and a few thousand dollars in Tesla-speak).

Yeah my dad had a Jeep Wrangler back in the 90s. He used to lock it up all the time. Then one day the whole back 'window' was sliced open, and a cooler from the trunk was stolen. Ever since then he just left the thing unlocked.

Sorry to hear about the damage Bonnie. Maybe time to get some carbon fiber surrounds?

Reactions: AtAge19
So as I stated, I don't know if the valet locked it. I'm betting he did not. And yes, the soft top was on & there was no damage to it (which would indicate the car .

Bonnie, sorry, my question was posed to @Bradleybang after he posted about his Roadster getting broken into.

I was assuming your Roadster was left unlocked by the valet parking person. Sounds like that was probably the case.

sorry! totally misunderstood

The building management and parking garage management have now contacted me (I emailed the office where I was meeting for contact info), very concerned. I really think it's all water under the bridge at this point. But hey, if they come back and offer to pay for the damage, I'm not going to say no. :)

A number of people in my old company were making reservations to go to a major conference in Barcelona, and were all told not to rent a car if possible, but if they did have to rent a car, nothing may be left in it unattended, and it must NOT be left locked. That is because the thieves recognize rental cars, and will break into them if they are locked, whether there is anything visible or not, and the insurance won't cover the cost of the breakin. So I have the same philosophy with my convertibles, which is not to bother trying to secure them too much, just not have anything obvious worth stealing. So far I've been lucky, while a friend with a 3-series ragtop has had to replace the top twice.

Bonnie, sorry, my question was posed to @Bradleybang after he posted about his Roadster getting broken into.

I was assuming your Roadster was left unlocked by the valet parking person. Sounds like that was probably the case.

My car was parked with top off. It was middle of the day in a parking lot. I too feel it best to leave nothing of value in car and not lock it as I don't want my top slashed.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but question for ya folks.... My previous car had a hardtop convertible .... so,

Do you feel comfortable leaving the top off out in the middle of the parking lot for better part of the day? Thieves? Bird poop? Sun damage?

Do you feel comfortable leaving the top off out in the middle of the parking lot for better part of the day? Thieves? Bird poop? Sun damage?

My soft top is always on when parked, unless it's a visible spot and I'm only away for a few minutes. A knifed soft top is a risk, but so is a broken window on a regular car. I figure a determined thief will get in regardless, but better to reduce temptation for the casual opportunists.

And bird poop! (it's happened)

Sorry to go a bit off topic but question for ya folks.... My previous car had a hardtop convertible .... so,

I wouldn't leave the car without the top on. Especially in Seattle where it can rain (drizzle I guess) at any time.

Don't mess with baby turtle!

Baby_318d22_979231.jpg

• Funny