Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X is SMOKING???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our BMW once created a white cloud when we started it in the parking lot. Turned out to be a sudden and big A/C refrigerant leak. Probably not your problem if the A/C still works, but better than burning insulation.

Well a sudden increase in temperature did happen yesterday, it went from the high 50s to 80 so the AC was being used to its full potential after a few weeks.

I don't think this has been a serious problem with car A/Cs for many years, but my father always made sure to run the A/C in the car for a little bit about once a month in the winter. He said the seals on the compressor can dry out and fail if not used. I don't know if that was his OCD (which he does have) or real. I've never investigated HVAC engineering much more than necessary to replace our house A/C when the old compressor had a fatal seizure.

I didn't know condensation was so loud.

As far as functionality goes, the car has no issues in performance and everything appears to be working correctly. I still have those swapped AC lines that need to be adjusted, that is probably the reason behind the loud compressor that other early cars had.

However, I did find a puddle of slimy liquid when I summoned the car out of the garage. It is probably water with the dirt on the ground? However, I haven't driven the car since Sunday so its weird why this stuff didn't dry up. It is clear so it can't be coolant (which is blue). And it is odorless and it feels like olive oil.

I did drive the car today and took some shots of the bottom of it: I have a few clips in this .zip file: http://SITEKS.TK/Files/Mouse%20Juice.zip

Attachments

• IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    905.6 KB · Views: 123
That "glue stuff" looks like excess sealant, I wouldn't worry.

The "olive oil" most likely came from the air conditioner. I'd bet a substantial amount of money continuing to run with your A/C lines reversed has finally stressed the system to the point that a seal has failed. The "steam" was your refrigerant venting and the "olive oil" is almost exactly that, lubricant that is mixed in with the refrigerant. It's your car, but I certainly wouldn't use the A/C any more until you get the car in for service. In my opinion you will cause even more harm.