Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 had a stroke it seems like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar issues. It didn’t shut down, but hard to tell if it would have eventually. At least so far it recovers after sleep but still not optimal if I’m going up to Park City at 70MPH.
I also triggered reports when it happened. First appointment is five weeks from now. I just installed the latest update, gonna see if it happens again then I’m gonna go the tow route.
5 weeks? Wow! If you’re concerned about the safety of your wife and kids as I was I would try to escalate the issue. This isn’t a cosmetic issue it’s a safety issue, IMO. Plus, it may take months to get the PCS as it has another member on this forum from my previously linked thread.

Yeah I'm getting it towed today. Dropped my kid off at school and it locked me out. After letting it sleep, I was able to get in, but it showed the reduced power warning and dimmed screen and wouldn't start. Tried letting it sleep again, then there was a loud click (probably the HV conductor) and I was able to drive a couple of feet before it showed the shutdown warning. It resolved itself but told me to exit and re-enter to resolve the problem. Was fine to drive home after that.
Maybe still a defective 12V battery, it feels like it can't connect to the HV system properly. Noticed somewhat of a pattern now that this happens when I drive and let it sit for a couple of minutes and try to drive again.
Definitely not safe to drive, had stability system shutdown and brake support reduced the other day.

Confidence is more or less gone. Starting to look into either selling or trading or learning more about the lemon law.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and phishphan
Yeah I'm getting it towed today. Dropped my kid off at school and it locked me out. After letting it sleep, I was able to get in, but it showed the reduced power warning and dimmed screen and wouldn't start. Tried letting it sleep again, then there was a loud click (probably the HV conductor) and I was able to drive a couple of feet before it showed the shutdown warning. It resolved itself but told me to exit and re-enter to resolve the problem. Was fine to drive home after that.
Maybe still a defective 12V battery, it feels like it can't connect to the HV system properly. Noticed somewhat of a pattern now that this happens when I drive and let it sit for a couple of minutes and try to drive again.
Definitely not safe to drive, had stability system shutdown and brake support reduced the other day.

Confidence is more or less gone. Starting to look into either selling or trading or learning more about the lemon law.

I truly think it’s an issue with the PCS. Please take my advice, escalate the problem with Tesla corporate, not locally. I’m not trying to be mean, but locally, they’re basically drones that read from a script. Not basically, that’s exactly what they do. My confidence and love for the car was also gone until I got this part replaced.

I can’t stress this part enough: make sure your SA is looking into your eyes and listening to every word you say. I thought I made everything clear but upon hindsight he wasn’t REALLY listening to me when he was typing his notes.

Now, I will feel like an idiot if it happens to me again lol.

I truly think it’s an issue with the PCS. Please take my advice, escalate the problem with Tesla corporate, not locally. I’m not trying to be mean, but locally, they’re basically drones that read from a script. Not basically, that’s exactly what they do. My confidence and love for the car was also gone until I got this part replaced.

I can’t stress this part enough: make sure your SA is looking into your eyes and listening to every word you say. I thought I made everything clear but upon hindsight he wasn’t REALLY listening to me when he was typing his notes.

Now, I will feel like an idiot if it happens to me again lol.
How do you escalate to corporate? Tweet Elon? This company is so secretive I have no idea who to talk to or call.

How do you escalate to corporate? Tweet Elon? This company is so secretive I have no idea who to talk to or call.
Honestly, I don’t know why I typed that out twice. It definitely didn’t help me. What did help me was being adamant I wasn’t returning the loaner until the car was safe to drive. There is a fine line regarding the legal aspect as they threatened to cease communication if they felt I was threatening legal action.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: enemji
The issue is, it's happening sporadically. So there's no way to say it works now, which makes it even worse in terms of trusting the vehicle. I'm pretty sure when I get it back, it'll drive fine, but it might act up the very next day. If it was a persistent issue it would be easier.

Doing a quick google search, it looks like Lemon Law in Utah is similar to some other states. The info I found looks like this:

=====================

In Utah, a vehicle must meet the following qualifications to be considered a lemon and for the dealer that sold it to be forced to either replace it or offer a cash refund.

• The vehicle must be new. Lemon laws in Utah don’t apply to used vehicles. If you bought your vehicle used from either a dealer or a private seller, it doesn’t fall under lemon law.
  • The vehicle must have been purchased in the state of Utah to qualify under Utah’s lemon laws.
  • The vehicle must have been sold with an accompanying warranty.
  • The vehicle must have been taken back to the manufacturer four times or more to address the same defect, or it must have been out of commission for thirty days or more.
  • The vehicle must meet all of the above conditions within its first year or within its warranty period, whichever is sooner
====================

A couple important things about lemon law that I have read before (im not a lawyer though so definitely might be worth it consulting one)

1. Check your receipts from tesla (I would personally print them out, and not have only electronic). You want to be able to show that the car is going in for the same issue, or, alternatively, if it has been in service 30 days or more (DAVIS days its normally called at least in CA... "(DA)ys (V)ehicle (I)n (S)ervice).

2. In CA, if the issue is a safety one, I dont think it requires providing the dealer 4 times to fix. I "think" its 2 times but I am not 100% on that. You might want to see if Utah has a similar "safety" concern stipulation.

3. Hold any "Im gonna lemon this car" talk with tesla specifically until you know thats what you want to do. If you decide you want to go down that road, they will likely stop being cooperative, etc. They will clam up, and likely start shunting you off to legal or something. Make sure you have everything out of them you want from an information standpoint (receipts etc) before going down that road.

4. Suggest engaging a lemon law lawyer specific to your state that might be able to advise you on what your legal options are, and steps to take etc.

If it were me, given what you have gone through so far, I would likely be attempting to lemon the car or seeing if tesla would buy it back as I dont think I would trust it again. I would probably ask them about buy back first (as thats not the same thing as a lemon law complaint as its not compulsory), but if they were not willing to move forward with that, I would start getting my information together and pursue lemon law for that car.

Sounds like a horrible situation, I wish you the best in getting it resolved.

Doing a quick google search, it looks like Lemon Law in Utah is similar to some other states. The info I found looks like this:

=====================

In Utah, a vehicle must meet the following qualifications to be considered a lemon and for the dealer that sold it to be forced to either replace it or offer a cash refund.

• The vehicle must be new. Lemon laws in Utah don’t apply to used vehicles. If you bought your vehicle used from either a dealer or a private seller, it doesn’t fall under lemon law.
  • The vehicle must have been purchased in the state of Utah to qualify under Utah’s lemon laws.
  • The vehicle must have been sold with an accompanying warranty.
  • The vehicle must have been taken back to the manufacturer four times or more to address the same defect, or it must have been out of commission for thirty days or more.
  • The vehicle must meet all of the above conditions within its first year or within its warranty period, whichever is sooner
====================

A couple important things about lemon law that I have read before (im not a lawyer though so definitely might be worth it consulting one)

1. Check your receipts from tesla (I would personally print them out, and not have only electronic). You want to be able to show that the car is going in for the same issue, or, alternatively, if it has been in service 30 days or more (DAVIS days its normally called at least in CA... "(DA)ys (V)ehicle (I)n (S)ervice).

2. In CA, if the issue is a safety one, I dont think it requires providing the dealer 4 times to fix. I "think" its 2 times but I am not 100% on that. You might want to see if Utah has a similar "safety" concern stipulation.

3. Hold any "Im gonna lemon this car" talk with tesla specifically until you know thats what you want to do. If you decide you want to go down that road, they will likely stop being cooperative, etc. They will clam up, and likely start shunting you off to legal or something. Make sure you have everything out of them you want from an information standpoint (receipts etc) before going down that road.

4. Suggest engaging a lemon law lawyer specific to your state that might be able to advise you on what your legal options are, and steps to take etc.

If it were me, given what you have gone through so far, I would likely be attempting to lemon the car or seeing if tesla would buy it back as I dont think I would trust it again. I would probably ask them about buy back first (as thats not the same thing as a lemon law complaint as its not compulsory), but if they were not willing to move forward with that, I would start getting my information together and pursue lemon law for that car.

Sounds like a horrible situation, I wish you the best in getting it resolved.
Thank you so much for this extremely detailed post - truly appreciated! And thank you for that last line - that means the world to me and us.

I'll definitely make sure to not mention lemon anywhere or anytime. Let's see what they come back with and if it happens again. I think that would then be the third attempt (UT requires four) but it would be the time to initiate the talks about buy back or how to resolve this.
I'll keep this thread updated for sure.

The issue is, it's happening sporadically. So there's no way to say it works now, which makes it even worse in terms of trusting the vehicle. I'm pretty sure when I get it back, it'll drive fine, but it might act up the very next day. If it was a persistent issue it would be easier.
Yes, as was mine. That’s why it’s critical to show them the time and date the error codes happened. Highly suggest you go read the thread I linked earlier, it will benefit you greatly.

Honestly, I don’t know why I typed that out twice. It definitely didn’t help me. What did help me was being adamant I wasn’t returning the loaner until the car was safe to drive. There is a fine line regarding the legal aspect as they threatened to cease communication if they felt I was threatening legal action.

Hope this helps.
And thus the entire problem you had. The loaner isn't your car, and you have no rights to it once they ask for it back.

Intermittent problems are very difficult. They advantage is hopefully they will have something showing up in the logs for each error that will help them nail it down. I would definitely push the lack of confidence in the reliability with the SC, and push for some commitment on their part to getting it resolved completely. Odds are it is going to all relate back to one thing, once they find it. However, that doesn't make your situation any better, nor does it help with the expected 'enjoyment' of a new car.

In short, it sucks and is frustrating for you - and I am sure any service technician with any sense of pride as well. I hope they can pin down the issue for you directly and get you going. Unfortunately, even if they call you today and tell you they have it 'for sure' - and they actually do, it will take while for you to build up confidence and enjoyment in the vehicle. I am hoping that they get it...and that in six months you are posting good reports on how great the car has been since.

And thus the entire problem you had. The loaner isn't your car, and you have no rights to it once they ask for it back.
Incorrect. The entire problem I had was that my wife’s car was unsafe to drive and Tesla wasn’t going to do anything about it until I escalated the situation and showed them how serious the issue was. The only way anybody was going to pay attention to the dire situation at hand was to create a need on their part. I did what I had to do to get the car repaired. And I only threatened to keep the loaner as a last resort. It was my final option.

Had the SA paid attention to the details in my notes on the app and then to what I was saying upon dropping the car off, none of this would’ve ever happened.

Lastly, had I done nothing I’m sure the car would’ve died several more times by now as the PCS was faulty.

Edit-unless you've had your brand new Tesla die twice on the side of the road only to have Tesla tell you there isn’t a problem twice, you probably shouldn’t be judging somebody else’s actions, especially if the actions solved the problem.

Hope this helps.
just drop the words “maybe I need to post this on Twitter” and the magic will happen

• Funny
Reactions: phishphan and Adam3
Got a rude call from my SA. We're out of rental cars, suck it up, we can give you uber credits.
I have a feeling they’ll eventually give you one and make it seem like their doing you the biggest favor they ever could. They made it seem like they were doing something extremely special for me. Also, sounds like you may have gotten the aggro dude I had to deal with bc everybody else I spoke to there was extremely pleasant.

It was a woman. She asked for time stamps and I guess I annoyed her by asking about the loaner.
I got a cryptic message later about a loaner suddenly being available and that the techs take lunch from 7-9pm (I have no idea what this is supposed to mean) but it was close to 5pm and all my follow up questions remained unanswered. And so far I haven’t gotten any Uber credit.
So I guess a weekend without loaner it is. Not that I expected anything different.

It was a woman. She asked for time stamps and I guess I annoyed her by asking about the loaner.
I got a cryptic message later about a loaner suddenly being available and that the techs take lunch from 7-9pm (I have no idea what this is supposed to mean) but it was close to 5pm and all my follow up questions remained unanswered. And so far I haven’t gotten any Uber credit.
So I guess a weekend without loaner it is. Not that I expected anything different.
I don't know how your specific SC works, but for Tesla in general (and in other discussions other car companies in general also) a loaner provided during service is a courtesy, not something that is guaranteed as terms of service. So if you come in with an attitude that it is required and in a confrontational matter, they may respond with hard policy.

As for Uber credits, for my SC in California, I got a text with a link to them them very shortly after I dropped off the car and confirmed to rep I wanted them just in case (but no interest in a loaner), even though I had other means of transportation. If you were insisting on a loaner and did not affirmatively say you wanted Uber credits in the meantime, while that was worked out, the SA may assume you didn't want them. It's not an automatic process because Uber credits are provided in lieu of a loaner, so SA has to manually give them to you.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
I fully understand it's a courtesy and I can assure you I was friendly without an attitude. But I was also not accepting a simple no as an answer. The fact remains this is a car that we got in May of this year, barely crossed the 3k miles mark and broke down three times, leaving us stranded and had to get towed twice. I didn't buy a car to fight for useless Uber credits, have to arrange with friends and family to drop and pick up kids from / to school and worry about when the car might shut down again (luckily so far only on local roads, not a four lane highway). I believe in kindness, but that doesn't exclude being firm on getting what I paid for. I'm not expecting a red carpet, but I expect a similarly kind person on the other end and coming up with solutions.