Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My initial impression of my P85+ performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove a 85Kw today, and it is definitely smoother, but does not handle anywhere like my car; I am getting used to the firmer ride, but am considering getting 20 inch wheels with some more rubber....

This was going to be my solution to you. I would look to the aftermarket for different wheel solutions that will allow you to adapt the ride quality to your liking. I opted for aftermarket 19s but a half inch wider on the same rubber. This has given me the quality that I was looking for (slightly crisper turn-in, better communication mid-corner, and, oddly enough, a more composed ride). The factory 19s felt too "floaty" and I didn't like the feel when driving harder.

To offer another person's point of reference, I traded in my 2013 (F10) M5 for a Model S P85+. I have also previously owned a 2003 E39 M5, 2009 E90 M3 and a 2011 E70 X5M. But for purposes of this comparison I'm referencing my 2013 M5.

My "seat of the pants" comparison of the Model S P85+ to my M5 left me nothing short of amazed. I loved the M5 but the Model S feels just as fast (if not faster) accelerating, handles just as well (if not a slight bit better - lower center of gravity?) and, to me, handles road imperfections better than the M5. The Model S has more than restored my faith in the ability of Americans to build a car on par with the Germans in quality and driving feel.

In other words, I couldn't be happier. The first time I laid eyes on the Model S in the flesh was when it was delivered to my home 10 days ago. I bought it without ever driving it or seeing it in person. So far it has exceeded every preconceived expectation I had.

Mike

I completely agree and like you, I had '13 M5 (silverstone) and the seat of the pants difference is noticeable. The M, really did feel like a boat due to the weight, so the pick up on my S (P85) is noticeable. Basically both cars are the same price and w/ the S, I no longer have to pay for gas. :)

This was going to be my solution to you. I would look to the aftermarket for different wheel solutions that will allow you to adapt the ride quality to your liking. I opted for aftermarket 19s but a half inch wider on the same rubber. This has given me the quality that I was looking for (slightly crisper turn-in, better communication mid-corner, and, oddly enough, a more composed ride). The factory 19s felt too "floaty" and I didn't like the feel when driving harder.

Isn't this a rather expensive way to go about it, though? You've already paid for the 21-inch wheels as a prerequisite to the P+ package. Then, arguably, paid for them again in staggered configuration as part of the P+ package (helps justify the ~$7000 price). Now you're going to say "Nope, don't think I'll use these after all," and buy yet another set of wheels and tires?!

My car came with 21's and I sold them. I was able to buy a set of 19" wheels, tires, TMPS and have a little bit left over.

Isn't this a rather expensive way to go about it, though? You've already paid for the 21-inch wheels as a prerequisite to the P+ package. Then, arguably, paid for them again in staggered configuration as part of the P+ package (helps justify the ~$7000 price). Now you're going to say "Nope, don't think I'll use these after all," and buy yet another set of wheels and tires?!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you clarify that? Did you mount the existing 245-width tires on 19x8.5 wheels (vs. the stock 19x8), or did you get wider tires as well, but of the same brand and model? Thanks.
He's got 245/45/R19 tires on 19x8.5 wheels (as do I).

Thank you for your insights.

#4 makes me feel better about not getting the P+. I am also older than I used to be and given a choice prefer quiet and serenity to ultimate power.

I just drove a P85+ loaner, after having driven my P85 since February.

I absolutely prefer my P85 over the P85+. (4000+ miles on my P85, 1700+ miles on P85+ loaner).

The P85 is noticeably more quiet than the P85+ inside, and the P85+ ride is rougher. The P85+ is noticeably better at hard cornering though, though I actually had the P85+ rear slide out (oversteer) which I've never had on the P85 (TC on in both cases). Maybe I just drove it harder cause it felt more stable.

Also, the steering settings on the P85+ is significantly stiffer than on the P85. I would say P85+ "Comfort" is equivalent to P85 "Sport".

Lastly, the specific P85+ car has the balloon noise during acceleration which my car also doesn't have (or so faint that it's actually pleasant on mine) - but I finally understand what everybody is talking about :).

So I swapped on 21 inch continentals for my 21 inch michelins, hoping that the car would drive smoother, but the noise was unchanged, and the car handles much much worse. It almost drove like a P85!! So I put my michelins back on...
So my advice to those with a P85 is if they want much better handling to put on a set of michelins. Should improve the drive by about 30 percent.

Other members have had good results with Hankooks. I've had good results with moving from Pilots to Nittos.

Thanks for the above back to back comparison. I've posted elsewhere that the P85 I drove with Continentals did not handle anywhere near as nice as my P85 delivered with Pilots. There was a six month gap between those experiences so it is good that you have done a back to back examination.

I enjoyed reading your review. I'm 2 weeks in to owning my P85+. I sold my F10 M5 to buy the Tesla. I haven't looked back. Coming from years of owning BMWs and Audis this car is absolutely amazing. I get all the acceleration and handling benefits in a car that costs me nothing to operate. For fun on the weekends, I have my stable of gas cars, but have found I don't want to drive them nearly as much as I do Model S. My only complaint is lack of bolstering in the seats but I don't intend on tracking this like I do my other cars.

While waiting for my HRE wheels I put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car. They're very quiet and have slightly better grip in moist weather than the PS2's that came on the car from the factory. I have them on every car I own and highly, highly recommend them.

I enjoyed reading your review. I'm 2 weeks in to owning my P85+. I sold my F10 M5 to buy the Tesla. I haven't looked back. Coming from years of owning BMWs and Audis this car is absolutely amazing. I get all the acceleration and handling benefits in a car that costs me nothing to operate. For fun on the weekends, I have my stable of gas cars, but have found I don't want to drive them nearly as much as I do Model S. My only complaint is lack of bolstering in the seats but I don't intend on tracking this like I do my other cars.

While waiting for my HRE wheels I put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car. They're very quiet and have slightly better grip in moist weather than the PS2's that came on the car from the factory. I have them on every car I own and highly, highly recommend them.

What size tires did you put on your Performance Plus? The PS2s are 245/35R21 on the front and 265/35R21 on the rears. I did not see those sizes available for the Super Sports.

What HRE's did you get? I've had HRE's on my last six cars, I was thinking about getting them for this one too, but the mod bug is slowly relenting on this purchase. Would love to see pics when you get em.

My car came with 19's, and I swapped them to 20x9" all four corners with Conti DWS 40 series tires. Also possible to do a staggered setup. Compared to the road noise in the P85 loaner with 21's, my car is almost silent. Much, much quieter at 70mph. Never had a chance to hear the 19's. I also have the coil suspension, but I live in AZ where all the roads are brand new, smooth, straight and flat (boring), so I can't really say much regarding handling.

What HRE's did you get? I've had HRE's on my last six cars, I was thinking about getting them for this one too, but the mod bug is slowly relenting on this purchase. Would love to see pics when you get em.

I bought this car to partly avoid the mod bug. It bit again. :)

I bought 21" P40SC in Satin Charcoal. Had the same set (20") on my F10 M5 and also have them on my M6. I think the look really compliments the lines of the car and decided to order another set. Runner up was the P47SC, but they looked too similar to the 19" wheels that Tesla offers.

I hope the weight savings contributes to additional range. I'm not expecting a huge improvement but we'll see. I'm also putting spacers on, front and rear, to give the car a little better stance and fill in the wheel wells. I don't intend on tracking this as I have other cars for that purpose, but I'm curious to see how it would do once or twice.

I bought this car to partly avoid the mod bug. It bit again. :)

I bought 21" P40SC in Satin Charcoal. Had the same set (20") on my F10 M5 and also have them on my M6. I think the look really compliments the lines of the car and decided to order another set. Runner up was the P47SC, but they looked too similar to the 19" wheels that Tesla offers.

I hope the weight savings contributes to additional range. I'm not expecting a huge improvement but we'll see. I'm also putting spacers on, front and rear, to give the car a little better stance and fill in the wheel wells. I don't intend on tracking this as I have other cars for that purpose, but I'm curious to see how it would do once or twice.

The P40SC is a nice choice, I'm a big fan of the P40 series in general. I had the 891R's on my 997 turbo, the 841R's on my 996 turbo, and some gloss black Techart Formulas on my 997 S, and 542R's on my early 996 turbo. I'm not really a fan of the direction Porsche is going in lately, with the GT sized cars, and the lack of M/T. It was actually tough for me because I had the 991 turbo on order, and the Tesla crept up on me. I think it's the right choice, maybe I'll return to Porsche one day, but if I ever do get another ICE car, I think I'm becoming more of a McLaren fan. I like their ideologies and the software updates etc. Tesla and McLaren are my two favorite car companies right now, purely based on ideologies.

The mod bug is trying to follow me, so far I've got window tint, led license plate lights, and alloy gators planned, hopefully nothing more.