Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except they don't do that. It's always been an email to say Tesla is sending you new software for the car and you'll need version x.y.z of the app to use it.

Conspiracy theory time:

The Early Access Program isn't for testing software, it's a form of viral advertising. They have plenty of employees to test the software officially. They tell the EAP members not to leak, but it inevitably does, and creates even more hype because it's a leak rather than an ad. This would explain why Tesla never goes after the leakers.

Conspiracy theory time:

The Early Access Program isn't for testing software, it's a form of viral advertising. They have plenty of employees to test the software officially. They tell the EAP members not to leak, but it inevitably does, and creates even more hype because it's a leak rather than an ad. This would explain why Tesla never goes after the leakers.
The company I used to work for had lot more people to test "officially", still had lots of beta testers outside.

The kinds of hardware differences and location differences (and the way people just use the software) can't be replicated in the "lab". The difference is not even close.

The company I used to work for had lot more people to test "officially", still had lots of beta testers outside.

The kinds of hardware differences and location differences (and the way people just use the software) can't be replicated in the "lab". The difference is not even close.
That's my experience as well. Even for in-house applications the official testing would go fine, then we'd ship it to the group that was actually going to use it for real and get a ton of reports. Not all bugs by any means, but lots and lots of suggestions, some seriously important.

The question with this sort of testing though is what is done with the reports? When people report stuff that works, sort of, but is so awkward that it might as well not, does management authorize fixing them?

Conspiracy theory time:

Agree. There's no flipping way that Tesla would use TestFlight or TestFairy for anyone outside the company. It's just not their style or M.O.

Early Access is just a 'warm-and-fuzzy' for some folks. It's really nothing special.

Besides, as I said, the software always gets worse, so who would want that first? :)

There is a distinct disadvantage for early access folks. They usually have an incomplete version that is released to test just the features Tesla is interested in. Missing are things like improvements to autopilot which get conveniently left out probably because the EA release branched too early. So while the fleet moves on to wide releases with new features the early access folks are stuck with older stuff.

Reactions: hoang51
The question with this sort of testing though is what is done with the reports? When people report stuff that works, sort of, but is so awkward that it might as well not, does management authorize fixing them?
EAP can definitely get some bugs fixed or even delay the release (like it has happened with Enh Summon).

It is not just EAP - even when they roll out to wider fleet, they roll in stages and look for feedback. If the volume of bug reports coming in is high they will slow/stop the roll out - make fixes and then roll out a new release. If you follow TeslaFi - you see that happen all the time.

So while the fleet moves on to wide releases with new features the early access folks are stuck with older stuff.
Does this actually happen or are you making an assumption ?

It would not make sense to test changes over an older release than the wide release. If there are two wide releases - it would make sense to keep some EAP folks in one release and others on the other one to test (like 2019.28.x and 2019.24.x).

Hot off the presses folks:

upload_2019-8-20_16-1-57.png

Reactions: EVNow
Does this actually happen or are you making an assumption ?

It would not make sense to test changes over an older release than the wide release. If there are two wide releases - it would make sense to keep some EAP folks in one release and others on the other one to test (like 2019.28.x and 2019.24.x).
I can tell you that this is exactly what happens. Current EAP folks are on 2019.20.4.6 while the latest release on mine is 2019.28.3.1. That's a lot of time in-between releases. I've driven a 2019.20.4.6 car and it doesn't behave the same as mine wrt autopilot.

I'll argue that some of these features require lengthy cycles to develop so when one creates the branch it will take a long time to get to release. In the meantime main has moved on and now the dev team has to decide how critical it is to merge main out to their branch. Probably not since the purpose was not to test the integration of EAP features with other features but to do that stand alone for those EAP features.

So, a month of testing (internally) before release to EAP and another month for wide release. We can definitely rule out V10 coming before end of Q3, then.

TeslaTrip @TeslaTrip Replying to @elonmusk and @arctechinc
When will this happen? I have two Tesla' that updated this morning, but no advanced summon.
12:00 PM · Aug 21, 2019 from Woodinville, WA·Twitter for Android

Elon Musk @elonmusk · 4h Replying to @TeslaTrip and @arctechinc
We need to complete internal QA testing for safety, which will hopefully be done in about 4 weeks​

Is that four weeks Tesla time or four weeks sequentially all in a row?

Sequentially in a row.

Look, Elon's statement is not hard to understand. He is saying that he is hoping that "about 4 weeks" (sequentially in a row) will be enough time to complete internal QA testing. He is expressing a hope which implies that it may not actually happen. Internal QA testing may end up requiring only 3 weeks sequentially in a row, or 4 weeks, or 5 weeks, or 6 weeks or 8 weeks. Furthermore, there might be steps that Tesla needs to take after QA testing and before wide release that are not included in Elon's "about 4 weeks". Elon is only talking about completing internal QA testing. He is not talking about other steps in the process.

• Informative
Reactions: mikemi
Sequentially in a row.

Look, Elon's statement is not hard to understand. He is saying that he is hoping that "about 4 weeks" (sequentially in a row) will be enough time to complete internal QA testing. He is expressing a hope which implies that it may not actually happen. Internal QA testing may end up requiring only 3 weeks sequentially in a row, or 4 weeks, or 5 weeks, or 6 weeks or 8 weeks. Furthermore, there might be steps that Tesla needs to take after QA testing and before wide release that are not included in Elon's "about 4 weeks". Elon is only talking about completing internal QA testing. He is not talking about other steps in the process.
Think he might have been joking

Reactions: diplomat33