Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Musk: V10 wide release "hopefully end of august" after early access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In principle, I agree. I doubt Tesla will do it though, especially if the features are still buggy which Early Access software tends to be. Tesla does not want some journalist, especially one that is not tech savvy, writing a scathing piece about how "bad" Teslas are.

Perhaps, Tesla could have Elektrek or Teslarati review the features. Those are websites that are tech savvy and knowledgeable about Teslas that would give a fair review.
Yes, it would have to be a EV tech savvy journalist. Insideevs have the most experienced EV journalists - though Teslarati might be good too. I won't trust Elektrek (Musk doesn't either).

Reactions: diplomat33
Yes, it would have to be a EV tech savvy journalist. Insideevs have the most experienced EV journalists - though Teslarati might be good too. I won't trust Elektrek (Musk doesn't either).

Yes, it would have to be a EV tech savvy journalist. Insideevs would be fine. I just don't think it would be a good idea to let the so called "mainstream media" like the Washington Post review a Tesla software version. They would surely butcher the review because they would probably give the review to some clueless journalist who has no idea what an electric car even is. LOL.

In response to FSD owners getting on Early Access, Musk tweeted this:

upload_2019-8-9_14-2-54.png

It actually would be in Tesla's best interest to do it. Giving all FSD buyers early access would greatly increase the number of testers for new FSD features. More testers would help Tesla validate these features faster.

No disagreement on that (i.e., increase the number of early access testers). My earlier comment was related to the part that said "Priority" would be given to those who have FSD - Meaning "hurry up and buy FSD now so you'll be first in line for the new stuff...." That's hyperbole (IMHO). Might also be a ploy to sooth customer anger in advance (get out ahead of the bad news, etc.) if they don't have any real functionality to release on schedule (this year), other than the gimmicks mentioned for V10 in an earlier post (if that's really all that v10 is about). No body here really knows, including me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
FSD goes into deferred revenue.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, depending on their accounting system and/or if they "tie" the delivered HW3 hardware to it. They most certainly tie delivered FSD functionality (e.g., Summon) to the $6000 FSD revenue, no? If so, I think it would not be considered deferred revenue in total, as it's not being advertise as 100% future functionality.

"Deferred Revenue: The new rules provide that accrual-method taxpayers receiving advance payments must recognize them as gross income in the year of receipt unless the taxpayer makes an election to defer the income. The deferred income must be recognized in the tax year following the year of receipt."

See 10Q or see my discussion about it in the future financial thread under investor section.

Mostly, if not 100% deferred currently. They want to deliver some of that functionality so that revenue can be recognized. They also have other deferred revenue apart from FSD.

Okay, I'll take your word for it - given you have already done the research!

As discussed above I'm pretty sure buying FSD improves their cash position but doesn't count as revenue (or maybe they count some small % of it?). So if you give them $6000 today, they have $6k more in the bank, but that money does not increase the profit they report (or rather, reduce the loss).

I'm so on the fence about buying FSD. I already have standard auto pilot (came with my dual motor non performance Model 3 that I presume is HW3 based on the fact that I got it in late May). I would like the functionality of Navigate on Autopilot right now, I just wish I didn't have to pay so much for the current feature set.

I keep thinking about two sayings that my grandfather and father would tell me.

1. "Deals are for people with money" i.e., I can afford it, and if Elon is to be believed, I will be saving money in the long run by buying now.

2. "A fool and his money are soon parted" i.e., don't believe the hype, don't be a sucker.

I can definitely afford it so it's more about should I get it or not. I'm also debating waiting until V10 comes out to see how that is working out.

As discussed above I'm pretty sure buying FSD improves their cash position but doesn't count as revenue (or maybe they count some small % of it?). So if you give them $6000 today, they have $6k more in the bank, but that money does not increase the profit they report (or rather, reduce the loss).

I'm so on the fence about buying FSD. I already have standard auto pilot (came with my dual motor non performance Model 3 that I presume is HW3 based on the fact that I got it in late May). I would like the functionality of Navigate on Autopilot right now, I just wish I didn't have to pay so much for the current feature set.

I keep thinking about two sayings that my grandfather and father would tell me.

1. "Deals are for people with money" i.e., I can afford it, and if Elon is to be believed, I will be saving money in the long run by buying now.

2. "A fool and his money are soon parted" i.e., don't believe the hype, don't be a sucker.

I can definitely afford it so it's more about should I get it or not. I'm also debating waiting until V10 comes out to see how that is working out.

I was in a similar boat and paid $6000 for FSD when I took delivery in June, 2019. Currently, I regret forking the $6000 out for the functionality received. I made the mistake of believing what the Tesla ordering site said was already available with FSD, “Really”. My recommendation would be to hold off until after v10 is released. I suspect after that happens, you still won’t buy FSD as what v10 offers in that regard will still be underwhelming. That’s my feeling, anyway. YMMV.

Reactions: pilotSteve