Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MotorTrend Reviews the P85D--Quickest 4-Door Sedan Ever Tested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Verified 0-60mph time for Tesla Motors P85D is almost a 1/2 second faster than a Ferrari Enzo.

I believe the automotive world is - currently - in a state of denial.

Agree With Your assesment of how we're currently rounding a corner With regards to Automotive Technology! One small note though, the P85D is quicker but not faster. And very unlikely neither quicker nor faster around a typical track than an Enzo.

Verified 0-60mph time for Tesla Motors P85D is almost a 1/2 second faster than a Ferrari Enzo.

I believe the automotive world is - currently - in a state of denial.

With the P85D, and knowing that Tesla Motors are in its infancy of design, production, releases...

... the end of ICE is really only a few years away.

? How could anyone - in their right mind - buy a Panamera, M5, RS7 now ?

I have a P85D on order, and have in the past owned a Panamera 4S and currently have a 997 Turbo as my 'daily driver'.

There is one metric in the standardized Motor Trend test where the Panamera Turbo S still stomps all over the Tesla P85D -- Figure 8, 25.0 seconds in the P85D, but only 23.7 seconds in the Panamera Turbo S. The 991 Turbo S will do 23.0 -- in other words, the Panamera is closer to the handling of a 911 than to that of a tesla.

It's also pretty clear that if you plan on a long range triple-digit drive (say, a 400 mile drive on the autobahn at 130mph), range and overheating quickly becomes an issue, whereas a Panamera will have no problem maintaining the speed, has a farther range, and refueling is quicker.

Similar concerns at a racetrack.

Like I said at the beginning, I have a P85D on order, but there's still at least a few metrics where Tesla does not yet dominate.

It's also pretty clear that if you plan on a long range triple-digit drive (say, a 400 mile drive on the autobahn at 130mph), range and overheating quickly becomes an issue, whereas a Panamera will have no problem maintaining the speed, has a farther range, and refueling is quicker.

Has there been any confirmation of overheating on the P85D? Or is this just assumptions based on the P85?

Sadly, I guess that doesn't include body alignment issues:
(

Welcome to the Signature Group Body Gap Club!! I wish my hatch would actually line up with the car, and that the hood didn't sit so far above the headlights. They have readjusted the doors so they don't look quite so weird. But my car does 115 with ease when no one is looking, and hoods don't fly off, rain doesn't leak into various passenger or luggage compartments. Nor does my Pano roof make noise! Imagine!

Other than gaps, it's still the best car ever. And continues to get better. And when someone in the BMW is watching you leave them behind, I doubt they will be thinking that your hatch has a gap. Oh, they might, but that sure sounds like sour grapes! The guy on the Harley that I left at the light pulled up a mile later with a huge grin and thumbs up. Yeah, my S85 beats Harleys.

Sure glad I didn't buy a Leaf! I'd have other issues, wouldn't I?

VIN 00064.

P85D Tracked by Motor Trend: 3.1 sec 0-60, 1/4 mile 11.6sec

motor trend is the first that I know of to take a P85D to the track, set insane mode, and track it. 3.1sec 0-60. 1/4 mile was 11.6sec.

Details:
2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend All Pages

- - - Updated - - -

edit:
crap, I totally missed this other thread already posted it (yes, I did look, but I expected it to be under DRIVING DYNAMICS, not "Model S")
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37823-MotorTrend-Reviews-the-P85D-Quickest-4-Door-Sedan-Ever-Tested

Had my P85 for 1.5 years and the fastest I've gone is 140km/h for a VERY short stint.. that alone is a $240 major infraction fine with significant insurance penalties. I can't even imagine 155 MPH! (250km/h). 250 would have my car taken away and I'd probably be uninsurable for some time.

In Toronto 140km on the 401 is practically standard operating procedure. I had to put an alarm on my current car because I found I often crept up there with the traffic but didn't really want to be driving at that speed. My current car is a Q7 and it drives very smoothly so I find the speed creeps up without you noticing. Now that sounds like BS, but I've had two other people drive my car with me in it and they have set off the 140 alarm and were quite horrified they were driving that fast. One drives a Caliber and the other a Cadillac sedan.

Anyway, off topic but your post reminded me how fast traffic is around Toronto.

The 11.6 second quarter mile despite an extra two hundred pounds of weight clearly shows the car is in fact getting more power from the battery pack than P85s do.

Not sure if this means a D specific pack, another new revision to the standard pack, or just programming that opens up some limits.
Walter

I have a P85D on order, and have in the past owned a Panamera 4S and currently have a 997 Turbo as my 'daily driver'.

There is one metric in the standardized Motor Trend test where the Panamera Turbo S still stomps all over the Tesla P85D -- Figure 8, 25.0 seconds in the P85D, but only 23.7 seconds in the Panamera Turbo S. The 991 Turbo S will do 23.0 -- in other words, the Panamera is closer to the handling of a 911 than to that of a tesla.

Similar concerns at a racetrack.

Like I said at the beginning, I have a P85D on order, but there's still at least a few metrics where Tesla does not yet dominate.

I'm in the exact same boat as you, trading in a 997 Turbo for the P85D and I'm as excited as I could possibly be to get it. I love the design and the low end torque is ridiculous, but we probably shouldn't exaggerate the supercar claims for our baby. Even a car as relatively pedestrian as the Mustang GT-500 (at pretty much exactly half the cost) has identical quarter mile times, despite giving up almost a half second on the way to 60mph and would almost certainly win on a track setting, based on the nearly one second advantage it has in the figure 8 test for MotorTrend.

A true exotic, something like the Ferrari 458 Spider gets to the end of the quarter mile in 11.3 seconds and is pulling away fast at the end. Admittedly, it was behind at 60mph and costs twice as much, so the P85D has nothing to be ashamed of and you are going to have a lot trouble loading up the 458 at Costco and seating 5.

Has there been any confirmation of overheating on the P85D? Or is this just assumptions based on the P85?

No one has yet attempted to keep the car performing near its limits for long enough to tell and written publically about it, but I think it is a fairly safe assumption that the basic problem of overheating hasn't changed a great deal. I hope to be able to report in some detail in about 6 weeks!

Assumption based on P85.

The Figure 8 test is confirmed, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the exact same boat as you, trading in a 997 Turbo for the P85D and I'm as excited as I could possibly be to get it. I love the design and the low end torque is ridiculous, but we probably shouldn't exaggerate the supercar claims for our baby. Even a car as relatively pedestrian as the Mustang GT-500 (at pretty much exactly half the cost) has identical quarter mile times, despite giving up almost a half second on the way to 60mph and would almost certainly win on a track setting, based on the nearly one second advantage it has in the figure 8 test for MotorTrend.

A true exotic, something like the Ferrari 458 Spider gets to the end of the quarter mile in 11.3 seconds and is pulling away fast at the end. Admittedly, it was behind at 60mph and costs twice as much, so the P85D has nothing to be ashamed of and you are going to have a lot trouble loading up the 458 at Costco and seating 5.

Agreed totally -- it's a wonderful car, and has some great scores on some metrics, but reality is reality -- and there are plenty of metrics that P85D will lose on. I actually looked at the same Mustang tests, and made the same comment.

I haven't yet decided what I will do with the 997 -- I might sell it, I might trade it -- or I might keep it as a 'fun only' car. Right now, I actually do my grocery shopping with the Porsche, and it's clearly not intended for that.

I haven't yet decided what I will do with the 997 -- I might sell it, I might trade it -- or I might keep it as a 'fun only' car. Right now, I actually do my grocery shopping with the Porsche, and it's clearly not intended for that.

I'm selling the 911 for sure. The sticking point with my lovely bride is my beloved Toyota Supra Twin Turbo that I've held onto through five other car purchases. She really wants me to sell it and I really don't. In my defense, the car will sell for more than I paid for it right now. The 997 is my daily driver as well, but somehow I've never really loved it. I told someone the other day that I think it is actually too good at what it does for me. It will tear through hairpin turns at absurd speeds, but somehow doesn't even feel that fast. Its so ruthlessly capable that it doesn't deliver quite the same excitement. Now a GT3, that might do it for me...

The car is two hundred pounds heavier and almost a second faster. What other conclusion would you draw?

1. wider peak power output
2. more grip for "much faster start"

P85 can output 320kW only between 43 and 73 mph. Under 43 and above 73 mph its motor cannot output all 320kW any more

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47712&d=1398288415

Using two motors it can output 320kW at much 'wider' speed interval.
If P85D used same motor in front as it does in the rear, the max power output would be from 21 mph up to 155 mph.
At present we do not know enough about p85D to include it in above chart, what we do know is that is uses the same battery.
And those 320kW is limited by the battery.

Future 'bigger' battery will probably have higher peak power.

Last edited:
In Toronto 140km on the 401 is practically standard operating procedure. I had to put an alarm on my current car because I found I often crept up there with the traffic but didn't really want to be driving at that speed. My current car is a Q7 and it drives very smoothly so I find the speed creeps up without you noticing. Now that sounds like BS, but I've had two other people drive my car with me in it and they have set off the 140 alarm and were quite horrified they were driving that fast. One drives a Caliber and the other a Cadillac sedan.

Anyway, off topic but your post reminded me how fast traffic is around Toronto.

Yep... or (cough) just maybe sometimes a little faster on early mornings with light traffic. :) I don't know what's more absurd in Toronto... the speed limits, or how universally they're disregarded.