Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most common 240v outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now just two more weeks and I'll have my car and be able to use the new outlet. :)

PS, which side should ideally be up so that the curve on the UMC is turned down rather than up? Right now it has the single hole on the bottom like the normal 110v outlets. He said he can come over and switch it the other way if I need him to.

Thanks for all the help!

Have them install the round pin on the TOP.
That will allow the UMC to be in the UP position.

All public charging stations (Blink, Charge Point, most if not all made by Leviton) will have a cable attached to a J1772 connector. Tesla provides you a free J1772 adapter with your car. You just plop the smallish J1772 adapter onto the J1772 plug and plug that into your car's charge port to charge at any Blink, Charge Point, Leviton charging station.

Tesla ALSO provides you with a mobile charger that they call a UMC (Universal Mobile Charger) - your car comes with a UMC adapter for a regular 120V household outlet, and a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet. The NEMA 14-50 outlet also happens to be what RV parks call 50A outlets for providing power to large RVs. You can then buy additional UMC adapters from Tesla for other outlets at http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters

It's actually called a universal mobile connector, not charger. The chargers are built into the car.

Don't run a neutral and you have exactly the same wire count. How much does it cost to have both a 6-50 and 14-50 (for out on the road at RV parks)?

It's only $45 to get the extra adapter and it's potentially dangerous to plug in a legitimate 14-50 plug into an improperly wired 14-50 outlet. Just do the 6-50 and buy the extra adapter if you want to save wiring.

It's only $45 to get the extra adapter and it's potentially dangerous to plug in a legitimate 14-50 plug into an improperly wired 14-50 outlet. Just do the 6-50 and buy the extra adapter if you want to save wiring.

Unless the run is very long or you have to change the panel, most of the installation cost is the electrician's time.

> most of the installation cost is the electrician's time. [jerry33]

If that garage was already inadequately wired, or you had plans for other electrical uses than just the EVSE, then you might consider running new electrical service with 100 Amp service panel. Then the RV 14-50 would sub off of that. Time for the electrician would be not much more and the extra hardware is cheap.
--

> most of the installation cost is the electrician's time. [jerry33]

If that garage was already inadequately wired, or you had plans for other electrical uses than just the EVSE, then you might consider running new electrical service with 100 Amp service panel. Then the RV 14-50 would sub off of that. Time for the electrician would be not much more and the extra hardware is cheap.
--

I agree, just do an install the meets all of your needs.

I want to preface this question by saying I know nothing about electricity other than how to plug in my car. With that said I want to install a 240v outlet and the NEMA 15-40 at 50 amps seems to be the standard. My current circuit breaker box has a couple of two pole circuit breakers that go to my electric cooktop and oven. Are these 240v? If so, does that help in my desire to install a new 240v outlet or do I need a new circuit breaker?

I want to preface this question by saying I know nothing about electricity other than how to plug in my car. With that said I want to install a 240v outlet and the NEMA 15-40 at 50 amps seems to be the standard. My current circuit breaker box has a couple of two pole circuit breakers that go to my electric cooktop and oven. Are these 240v? If so, does that help in my desire to install a new 240v outlet or do I need a new circuit breaker?

NEMA 14-50, not 15-40 (don't worry, I mistype it a lot too...)

Yes, a 2-pole circuit breaker will either be for a multi-wire branch circuit (appliance outlets in kitchen, for example) or 240V appliances. Oven and cooktop will be 240V. However, you may not share those breakers for the car charging receptacle. You should contact an electrician to do a load calculation to determine whether you can support a charging circuit based on your existing service and demand, and see what it would cost to put in a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.