Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More AP2 cameras will never be used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was cleaning my car yesterday and it occurred to me that the other cameras other than the 3 behind the windshield will likely never be consistently used for EAP. This is because there is no provision to keep them clean. We all have seen how the rear camera can become unusable when covered with dirt, water or salt. The same thing will happen to the other side cameras thus they can never be used consistently. This makes me think while the next rev of AP may make better use of the forward cameras, the side ones will likely not be relied upon on their current form. If future EAP features required them, then it will only work sometime at best.

I am not holding out hopes for the E part of E autopilot.

Reactions: davidc18
I actually was just cleaning my car on Sunday after it was thoroughly salted on the drive to Tahoe. The rear camera was a mess but the repeater and pillar cams actually were fairly clean. I feel like the repeaters would still work in snow.

A neural net can be a lot more tolerant than human vision to obstructions. After all, you can still cope with smudgy glasses.

Reactions: scottf200
I hope you are right. We need cameras with eyelids that blink, and tears too.

I wish the radar is longer range. I find it discomforting that cars don’t show up on the display until they are almost too close.
Yeah, I agree. I’m not sure if it’s the radar or Tesla Vision that needs to be longer range, but I would also love to see them recognized more far away. Humans right now are more capable of seeing cars ahead and assigning them to the correct lane.

New cluster warning "EAP is unavailable until you pull over and clean B pillar cameras" .

New app warning "FSD disengaged. Please use the app's locate feature to find your car and clean the repeater cameras to re-enable FSD".

This was the strongest argument by the way why some people, myself included, call BS on Elon's FSD promises of car sharing and ride hailing on AP2 cars.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: davidc18
New cluster warning "EAP is unavailable until you pull over and clean B pillar cameras" .

New app warning "FSD disengaged. Please use the app's locate feature to find your car and clean the repeater cameras to re-enable FSD".

This was the strongest argument by the way why some people, myself included, call BS on Elon's FSD promises of car sharing and ride hailing on AP2 cars.

The strongest? Nah - the strongest argument against is that the S does not have self-closing doors.

• Helpful
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I have fully accepted unattended FSD is not happening in the lifetime of the vehicle, and purchased it with that in mind.

I still had hope (though much dimished) that FSD with you in the driver seat will happen sometime. At this point I would settle for AP that can be used eyes and hands free until notified by car (level 3) in at least some situations like a predetermined set of roads.