Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in fact if regulations are required it probably means recycling is too energy intensive to be profitable.

This paper by ANL shows the energy breakdown. http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/B/887.PDF It also confirms that direct recycling like Tesla has proposed is possible, but pre-sorted input is a requirement, i.e. a single battery chemistry per processing line. All materials are recoverable, and energy requirements are "minimal".

Cell and battery manufacture is responsible for about 42 % of the battery energy cost. This can't be recovered by recycling, but recycling can still reduce the environmental impact significantly.

Worse specific energy than lithium cobalt varieties, much worse volumetric energy density, worse specific power output, and lower charge efficiency all mean that Zebra is not an alternative. We need better batteries in all categories, not worse.

Add 20 kg of radiators, a pump and some coolant that Zebra doesn't need and the Roadster battery (124 Wh/kg) is suddenly on par with Zebra. Then consider a doubled lifetime, halved cost (in mass production) and immunity to cold. Specific power is lower, but adequate for many vehicles (50 kW continuous in the 28.2 kWh, 243 kg Think battery). Power might possibly be buffered. Heat loss when not in use only starts several hours after shutdown, as the battery uses the heat developed due to internal resistance to heat itself. After that, heat loss is 90 W. Li-ion batteries also have a significant heat loss during winter at startup and particularly charging. This report says that a Swiss EV trial project found lower electricity consumption from Zebra compared to NiCd, even though the NiCd cars had a fuel powered heater. I think the largest drawback of the Zebra battery is that it can't be made as flat as the Model S battery.

Last edited:
If you have to compare outdated Roadster battery technology or NiCd to make the Zebra even slightly competitive, well that says it all. Fact, you could not make a Roadster or Model S with similar range or performance using the Zebra. End of story. It's not competitive today and will be less so going forward.

Reuse is much more important than recycling (reduce comes first, which is happening via more energy dense chemistries that use less materials for the same capacity). That will throw a monkey wrench into any calculation.

150000km seems too short when the warranties are for that long (esp. if they are going to assign a much longer lifespan for an EV). Here's a study that says lithium batteries have relatively small impact on the lifecycle of EVs:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/08/notter-20100810.html

I decided to put up a response to Petersen's Tesla pack calculations on Seeking Alpha. http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/7...-to-wrong-conclusion-about-tesla-battery-pack

... Bottom line is that Mr. Petersen's conclusions have little to no basis in reality and are therefore completely irrelevant. Unfortunately reality seems to have little effect on Mr. Petersen's consistent anti Tesla bias.

While that's true, I would prefer to come to the above conclusions myself rather than see them in the blog. Just provide the facts that undermine his article. Investors don't want anything that sounds like a personal attack. It gives you more credibility that way. Just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it if you don't find it helpful. :smile:

You might also want to provide a link to the 2010 study mentioned up-thread that used much more credible data. Other points that could be made are JP's incorrect assumptions about expected lifetime of the cells, and as you mentioned the energy cost of the whole ICE system including transmission and a lifetime of oil changes.

I decided to put up a response to Petersen's Tesla pack calculations on Seeking Alpha. http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/7...-to-wrong-conclusion-about-tesla-battery-pack

If the energy density is 250 Wh/kg vs 75 Wh/kg, then the resulting necessary energy input would seem to be about 12,000 kWh. If you step back from that and say 20,000 kWh, it seems a bit like you wouldn't trust your own numbers, and it seems to raise the question what your doubts are. I think a bit more information regarding your thoughts about what the real number might be, would help. EDIT: I think it's written in such a way that the the difference cell/pack is a bit confusing, and in the flow of reading one doesn't immediately match up the corresponding numbers. For example, a reader not familiar with these calculations might not understand why 150 Wh/kg per pack follows after 250 Wh/kg per cell, and it seems like going back and forth.

In general, a good step to respond by writing your own article.

Last edited:
While that's true, I would prefer to come to the above conclusions myself rather than see them in the blog. Just provide the facts that undermine his article. Investors don't want anything that sounds like a personal attack. It gives you more credibility that way. Just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore it if you don't find it helpful. :smile:
Point taken, but I just can't resist, especially since it's his favorite tactic thrown back at him.

Norbert, I thought I stated the difference between cell level and pack level fairly clearly, but maybe not. I can add a comment to expand on the topic more clearly.

Also it's a bit strange that the study quoted calculates a ESOI of 10 for Li-Ion, but JPetersen derives a ESOI of 1.1 for a 85 kWh battery and 3.3 for a 24 kWh battery (Leaf), using the assumption that they are used to drive the same amount of miles. (Whereas the cycle life of a 85 kWh battery would be more than 3x than that of a 24 kWh battery). I don't think using a fixed calendar life is a valid number to use.

Some points that come to mind regarding this discussion:

- Using JRP3's calculation, the energy density today (in Model S), by itself, already gives a 2x better number.

- An 85 kWh battery has a longer cycle life and calendar life than those numbers. The cycle life (in miles) grows proportionally with the battery's size.

- The battery has a value and use following the useful life for its original owner, for example it can be sold to someone who needs only a smaller battery (along with the car, or separately).

- Energy density has continuously improved, and will continue to do so, most likely at least 2x / 10 years and quite possibly even better.

- The corresponding values for an ICE are not zero.

- For a large part, J.Petersen uses the number to compare the EOIS of various battery types amongst each other, but that comparison is not the crucial one.

- The study referenced finds a ESOI of 10, even with lower energy density cells, but JP uses 1.1, a factor of 10x less. So his bottom line numbers are his own, and not really backed by the study.

- Studies which actually target EVs and calculate the environmental burden including production of batteries, give a different picture, such as the one stopcrazypp referenced:
Green Car Congress: Study Finds Environmental Impact of Li-ion Battery for BEVs is Relatively Small; The Operation Phase is the Dominant Contributor to Environmental Burden
Their study, published in the ACS journal Environmental Science & Technology, showed that the environmental burdens of mobility are dominated by the operation phase regardless of whether a gasoline-fueled ICEV or a European electricity-fueled BEV is used.

- Last but not least: For most practical purposes, including those of investors, the resulting cost considerations already go into the (well known) price comparisons of (EV + electricity) with (ICE + gasoline). (Which are of course expected to further improve, significantly, in the coming years, given that electric cars are now establishing themselves as a market).

And again, from an energy-use point of view, I consider the most significant factor today to be the acceleration of development of tomorrow's battery technology, contributing to renewable energy generation and use overall. The really "accurate" numbers are those we don't know yet, those from future battery technology in 5 years, in 10 years, in 20 years, in 50 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Norbert, I thought I stated the difference between cell level and pack level fairly clearly, but maybe not. I can add a comment to expand on the topic more clearly.

If one reads it carefully and has some basic knowledge, it is very clear. However if one reads quickly, it seems easy to miss which numbers correspond to each other. The first impression is that 75 Wh/kg corresponds to 250 Wh/kg. Then in the next sentence it makes a step backwards. I'd think it is better to make steps forward, so to speak. I'm saying this more for future articles you might write (which I think you should, given your willingness to discuss these questions in the context of JP's articles, for example).

Lomborg's article in the WSJ refers to a study that made the rounds a few months ago and was debunked then. Richkae got a couple of the points. A couple more biggies are HERE.

Here is an article Jim Motavalli wrote today on plugincars.com, in response to Lomborg's article in the WSJ:

http://www.plugincars.com/electric-...ncludes-wall-street-journal-op-ed-126685.html
(Jim Motavalli also writes on environmental topics for The New York Times)

Also contains a link to a Fox News video, which explains to you why consuming lots of energy is a "good thing". ;)

Interesting for example this graphic (using the numbers for the grid in California)

ucla.jpg

("The battery EV powered by California's clean energy acquits itself in Dr. Rajagopal's analysis. (UCLA graphic)")

CV = Conventional Vehicle

Sherry Boschert wrote to the Wall Street Journal editor:

*Snip*
"And as for his contention that electric cars save only $44 in global warming costs (a controversial figure, but let's use it for now), replacing the more than 254 million cars in the United States with electric ones would avoid nearly $11.2 billion in costs. Temporary government incentives to enable this transition are a great deal for taxpayers."

- Using JRP3's calculation, the energy density today (in Model S), by itself, already gives a 2x better number.

I read earlier that Tesla was planning to reach 135 Wh/kg. 150 Wh/kg is quite a bit better - is it really that good? That would imply that the 85 kWh battery weighs 567 kg. The original target would be 630 kg.

And again, from an energy-use point of view, I consider the most significant factor today to be the acceleration of development of tomorrow's battery technology, contributing to renewable energy generation and use overall. The really "accurate" numbers are those we don't know yet, those from future battery technology in 5 years, in 10 years, in 20 years, in 50 years.

The fact that the energy used for battery manufacture is electricity is also very important. Then emissions will improve at the same rate as emissions from electricity production improve. EVs don't depend on fossil energy anywhere in their life cycle, except for mining and for steel production, and this factor can be minimized through recycling.

This means that EVs really do enable a transition away from fossil energy.

I read earlier that Tesla was planning to reach 135 Wh/kg. 150 Wh/kg is quite a bit better - is it really that good? That would imply that the 85 kWh battery weighs 567 kg. The original target would be 630 kg.

As might follow from my context, I'm not too concerned with the details and +/- 10%. I suppose the energy-intensive parts to manufacture are the internals of the battery cells themselves, and the original calculation might use a pack with less additional battery-management hardware.

The fact that the energy used for battery manufacture is electricity is also very important. Then emissions will improve at the same rate as emissions from electricity production improve. EVs don't depend on fossil energy anywhere in their life cycle, except for mining and for steel production, and this factor can be minimized through recycling.

This means that EVs really do enable a transition away from fossil energy.

Definitely! There might even come a time where we have so much solar energy (and other renewables) that energy consumption becomes a non-issue (again), as long as it is used wisely.

You quoted the Roadster pack density at 124 Wh/kg, which used 2.2 ah cells, the S uses 3.2 ah cells, I highly doubt the pack density only improved to 135 Wh/kg with the new cells. Also as I noted the non cell materials are likely lower energy input materials since they don't need to be high purity or need to be assembled under clean room conditions.