Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi again and sorry to mess up your forum with (probably) dumb questions.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on MYRWD. I'd love the P but I'm pushing 78 and not really a rev-head any more LOL.
I currently drive a 2017 Benz E Class and it has many of the driving features of the Tesla's (semi autonomous drive etc) although being 6 years old I'm sure it's way inferior to the Tesla's. I almost bought an S when I bought the Benz but was put off by the complaints of build quality at the time. I understand build quality from Giga Shanghai is ver good... correct?

I've watched many videos on Tesla features over the past 6 months and sometimes they don't fully answer my questions (I am a pedantic bugger). So our Benz has a wonderful Burmiester sound system and I was wondering if the YRWD has the same audio system as the YP? I understand the YP system is awesome.
Thanks in advance.

I'm 74, hearing at this age is not what is was at 18.
I was happy with the sound system in my 2019 SR+. The sound in my new 2023 LR is better. Clearer mid range. Can be VERY loud. I lowered both the bass and the sub woofer level from the factory setting. If sound is important to you, listen at home, not in a car.
Yes, build quality from Shanghai is much better than Fremont.

I'm 74, hearing at this age is not what is was at 18.
I was happy with the sound system in my 2019 SR+. The sound in my new 2023 LR is better. Clearer mid range. Can be VERY loud. I lowered both the bass and the sub woofer level from the factory setting. If sound is important to you, listen at home, not in a car.
Yes, build quality from Shanghai is much better than Fremont.
I'm a tad confused. Firstly, yes I understand that audio at home will be better. My problenm is that I'm having real difficulty convincing my wife the new Tesla Y is better than our current Benz (among other things). I thought the MYP has the premium audio with 14 speakers and the MYRWD has a 'standard' system with 13 speakers. However (thought) I saw recently that the premium system is now in the RWD as well?

I was happy with the sound system in my 2019 SR+. The sound in my new 2023 LR is better.
I thought the MYP has the premium audio with 14 speakers and the MYRWD has a 'standard' system with 13 speakers. However (thought) I saw recently that the premium system is now in the RWD as well?

With the Model 3 the base model (RWD, formerly known as SR+) had a different (non-premium) sound system from the LR and P models.

And as you've discovered, the Model Y has the premium sound system on both the RWD and the Performance.

The premium sound system was designed in-house by ex Bang & Olufsen engineers, and most reviews rave about it

Reactions: Power Hungry
You might what to have a look at some youtube videos that review the audio system in the Model Y:

Having said that, as with any audio system - hearing it in real life will confirm if it is as good or better than the Burmiester system.

Personally I perfer my Model 3 LR audio system to my BMW 340m Harman/Kardon sound system.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to go into a Tesla showroom and have a look at a Model Y, while there are not many people around.

You might what to have a look at some youtube videos that review the audio system in the Model Y:

Having said that, as with any audio system - hearing it in real life will confirm if it is as good or better than the Burmiester system.

Personally I perfer my Model 3 LR audio system to my BMW 340m Harman/Kardon sound system.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to go into a Tesla showroom and have a look at a Model Y, while there are not many people around.
In fact, we're going to Brisbane tomorrow to test drive the RWD. They only allocate 30min for test drives though which is inadequate IMO.

Reactions: RM2023
premium sound system was designed in-house by ex Bang & Olufsen engineers, and most reviews rave about it
Think both systems were designed by the same team, and use the same speakers.

The less-premium 3 SR+/RWD just missed out on the sub, two rears and four tweeters (although they are installed but inactive in some cars) and I believe an extra amp to drive them all.

But still has eight speakers mostly front focussed.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Hi again and sorry to mess up your forum with (probably) dumb questions.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on MYRWD. I'd love the P but I'm pushing 78 and not really a rev-head any more LOL.
I currently drive a 2017 Benz E Class and it has many of the driving features of the Tesla's (semi autonomous drive etc) although being 6 years old I'm sure it's way inferior to the Tesla's. I almost bought an S when I bought the Benz but was put off by the complaints of build quality at the time. I understand build quality from Giga Shanghai is ver good... correct?

I've watched many videos on Tesla features over the past 6 months and sometimes they don't fully answer my questions (I am a pedantic bugger). So our Benz has a wonderful Burmiester sound system and I was wondering if the YRWD has the same audio system as the YP? I understand the YP system is awesome.
Thanks in advance.
Perhaps I am repeating other comments below; I have not read through them.

So much, though definitely not all, of what we find, superlative or otherwise, about our cars of whatever marque, is subjective.

Of course there are also objective criteria and standards by which a vehicle can be judged and maybe found wanting.
Then there is relative quality; for the money etc.

I read comments from unhappy owners who, I am tempted to believe, never set eyes on a Tesla before collecting theirs.

So, the only relevant advice is to test drive, then test drive then take another couple of test drives then hire one.

If there is one irrefutable positive about Teslas, it is the buying process because that's what it is a " buying" process; no salesmen under sales quota pressure with whom you have to share your grand childrens' ages; once you have handed over your first name, it's all about you and Dennis the Dealer becoming firm friends with you and your lovely wife.. bla bla.

So, there is no reasonable excuse for you not becoming well acquainted with the Tesla before you pays your money and takes your chance.
Good luck.

Perhaps I am repeating other comments below; I have not read through them.

So much, though definitely not all, of what we find, superlative or otherwise, about our cars of whatever marque, is subjective.

Of course there are also objective criteria and standards by which a vehicle can be judged and maybe found wanting.
Then there is relative quality; for the money etc.

I read comments from unhappy owners who, I am tempted to believe, never set eyes on a Tesla before collecting theirs.

So, the only relevant advice is to test drive, then test drive then take another couple of test drives then hire one.

If there is one irrefutable positive about Teslas, it is the buying process because that's what it is a " buying" process; no salesmen under sales quota pressure with whom you have to share your grand childrens' ages; once you have handed over your first name, it's all about you and Dennis the Dealer becoming firm friends with you and your lovely wife.. bla bla.

So, there is no reasonable excuse for you not becoming well acquainted with the Tesla before you pays your money and takes your chance.
Good luck.
Ordered a MYRWD today with the 20” induction wheels. It is such a change from previous vehicle purchases. The sound system sounds way better on first hearing, certainly better than our E class Benz.

Ordered today.
Congrats and well done... I've had my M3 RWD for 2000+ kms now and can't see myself buying an ICE ever again. My experience is the base-level audio is better than what was in the 2021 BMW that I had prior to delivery. At the same time, I was ultra impressed with the sound the first week or two of driving, yet it doesn't seem as sharp a few months down the track... I'm sure it is just me/normalising to the quality (and I could play with the equalizer some more), but it is still loud and clear. I can only imagine what the more expensive models must be like!

Have a chat with the Sales team in Brisbane, I am sure they will be flexible with the 30min test drive window ;)
Are there Tesla Sales Teams in Australia?
Here, they are sort of general customer service advisors. They give you an idea of how to drive your test car and answer any general questions. Absolutely no interest in closing you down because they can't sell you a car; you buy on line. Endlessly patient when you take multiple test drives and if you want to spend the day kicking tires, good on you, they will point you at the coffee machine. It's a great experience or, in a sense, lack of one.

I will never want to buy from a dealer/Main Agent again 😀.
I don't mean to rubbish the car sales job but the Tesla boys and girls are just so laid back - except at quarter end when they are responsible for vehicle handovers during which period you had better stand clear.😀

Reactions: 1001
Are there Tesla Sales Teams in Australia?
Here, they are sort of general customer service advisors. They give you an idea of how to drive your test car and answer any general questions. Absolutely no interest in closing you down because they can't sell you a car; you buy on line. Endlessly patient when you take multiple test drives and if you want to spend the day kicking tires, good on you, they will point you at the coffee machine. It's a great experience or, in a sense, lack of one.

I will never want to buy from a dealer/Main Agent again 😀.
I don't mean to rubbish the car sales job but the Tesla boys and girls are just so laid back - except at quarter end when they are responsible for vehicle handovers during which period you had better stand clear.😀
It’s much the same here. Unlike previous purchases where the sales guy was obviously on commission, there was zero pressure here. In fact I had to ask ‘so where do I sign?’ He was extremely helpful but with no pressure. Indeed a new experience.