Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Plaid Sound System Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just picked up a 2022 Model S Plaid, and I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the sound system in this vehicle, and specifically if there are any (very) good retrofit upgrades.

From what I read this has a 22-speaker 960 Watt system in it with ANR (That doesn't seem to work?) I thought I read somewhere the speakers were Bose but I can't find it now.

I am coming from a Wraith that had a 1300 Watt system with 18 Bespoke Audio speakers that also had ANR and the difference is astronomical. While I don't expect Tesla to to beat RR, I would expect it to at least be in the same league? Having said THAT, even worse they're even leagues below our X7's B&W System that is 20 speakers and 1500W. Those two vehicles are the exact same price point.

I'm entirely new to the Tesla Ecosystem so maybe some audio guys can share their thoughts on the sound system and whether or not they've made some upgrades. I hope I'm not stuck with this because it's pretty bad.

Generally, most feel the Tesla 22 speaker system is great. The #1 issue can be your source. Most sources are compressed or highly compressed, which depending on the amount of compression, will reduce the quality. When evaluating any system, you should use a lossless HD format. Flac is a good choice and there are plenty of others. Save the files to a USB and then play them in your Tesla.

The speakers are custom-made for Tesla. They are not Bose (most audiophiles are not impressed with Bose).

That said, I agree that I would not expect the Tesla sound system to compete with a base Wraith ($580K). Not sure about the X7's system. Not sure if you're looking for clean sound, massive bass, or just loud. I think Tesla has gone for a clean sound. Much of this is subjective and once you are used to one sound system it has a bias as to being "right". You also may want to check the equalization levels. The car is tuned to have the cleanest sound with all the bands at 0 dB. Now may want something different from that, and there is nothing wrong with that. I boost the high end about 3db as my hearing is not what it used to be.

Lastly, it's always possible there is something wrong with your specific car. If you really find the sound poor, you should try another car. Bring a USB drive with your music and try it out - even in the showroom. Be sure to check the equalizer, as someone may have messed with it before you got into the demo car.

One other thought - in audio settings on the Tesla, there is the Immersive Sound option, with 5 levels. You may want to experiment with this setting or turn it off. It could be unsuitable for the particular music you listen to.

New member here as well and also have the same questions. I noticed that the Model S subwoofer is mediocre. Is there a replacement sub I can replace the stock with that doesn't need an amp installed? I'd like to have more crisp bass. I'd also like to replace the rear speakers and tweets as well.

I'll give her a listen with FLAC via USB, I am giving equal comparisons. Not like I'm listening with USB Flac file in the Wraith then AM radio in the Tesla haha. My EQ Band is not even so i'll try setting it to zero's and play around a bit.

I would admit if I was not coming from either of those two vehicles I would say the audio is good, but It's hard to "step down" from where I was into this. If I had to describe the RR or BMW I would say the audio is very Cohesive. The highs, lows, and mids, all are one unit acting together, where as in the Tesla I feel like there's a high and a low and they're their own entity and you can very much hear them independently of one another, it's not a cohesive sound, if that makes any sense to you.

But you're right, this is all obviously very subjective.

New member here as well and also have the same questions. I noticed that the Model S subwoofer is mediocre. Is there a replacement sub I can replace the stock with that doesn't need an amp installed? I'd like to have more crisp bass. I'd also like to replace the rear speakers and tweets as well.

I'll have to do some research on whether or not the Plaid speakers are different than the standard S speakers, but I think I'm going to pick these up, I've heard good things.

I was thinking the same. Only difference between the LR and Plaid are the carbon fiber bits and third motor. Some Plaids come with red calipers, some others dont, but everything else should be the same.
Then that said, I'll
I don't think is any difference for 95% of the car between Plaid and current gen (2021+) LR. I've owned both and the systems sound the same.
Then that said, I'll probably be doing this upgrade, I'm going to contact the company and talk to them a bit more about it. This sound system is atrocious to me. I have it off most of the time.

Then that said, I'll

Then that said, I'll probably be doing this upgrade, I'm going to contact the company and talk to them a bit more about it. This sound system is atrocious to me. I have it off most of the time.
Have you rebooted your system? I've noticed a couple times that not all my speakers were working. There were no highs or bass. After the reboot all the speakers came up and the sound was a lot better.

The audio system in the refreshed X and S is trash. You’re not imagining anything and nothing is wrong with it either. I find it amazing that people here still state it’s the best in its price range when now a Mazda CX-50 Bose system bests it for punchiness, imaging, loudness and clarity, not by much but..

It‘s a far cry from the previous generation’s airy, punchy sound system. Even if that system lacked deep low end bass extension, and used too much compression to gain more perceived loudness, it sounded WAYYY better than the 960w system.

The sound-staging is horrible, the surround sound is unnatural and narrow (doesn’t really immerse or surround you at all), bass is weak and flat (the sound system is really flat on the high end too)… it’s a mess. Tesla really fumbled the ball on this one.

Reactions: FirstInTown
Had 2020 Model X and a refreshed X now. Agree with the above statement. The 2020 had a airiness and front sound stage that was wide and unlike anything we have in any other car. Really eanjoyable to Listen to. Completely gone in the refresh. Missing that openness.

Also, the ANC does practically NOTHING. Work on one frequency, maybe. Just me, windows up, leave on for 45 minutes and turn off, honestly VERY little difference.