Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivery anxiety? The wait is worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a Model Y on June 24. I was so happy when it gave me a July delivery. Then it moved to early August to September. Now it is early September to late September. Over 8 weeks and possibly 15 weeks? Is that normal? What can you do to expedite besides being on the portal and doing everything is required from your part?
A guy I referred to purchase his Model Y got notification yesterday that he was being moved back to October, 5 months after he ordered. Originally they told him June then July then August, now October. Then after venting on the net all day today he was told to prepare for delivery...!?!

Of course he is on the vacation that he thought he ordered the car in time to take so he isn't able to receive it NOW. Crazy.

Reactions: Peelz
A guy I referred to purchase his Model Y got notification yesterday that he was being moved back to October, 5 months after he ordered. Originally they told him June then July then August, now October. Then after venting on the net all day today he was told to prepare for delivery...!?!

Of course he is on the vacation that he thought he ordered the car in time to take so he isn't able to receive it NOW. Crazy.

I presume that "notification" he's talking about is that date range in the account page?

like I said... no rhyme or reason, they just build a bunch of cars based on demand and configs and you get yours when one matching yours is not spoken for. And that final part is based on transporting the cars.

We had SAME thing. forward back, forward back, then disappear, then WAAAAY back. then BAM! you get a VIN delivery in 5 days! The timing would have been perfect the week before, but we had to scramble because I had a motorcycle trip coming up. :)

During the wait, A lot of freaking out happened, like-will my credit union still give me the cash if it goes too far, will insurance go up, are they speeding up production too fast and Im going to get a lemon?(big one for me)

There was even conversation about continuing looking at the Toyota SUV we originally wanted, but we held firm :)

The wait sucks, the experience there could AND SHOULD be MUCH better and transparent, but it all worked out in the end. The point of my post.

Reactions: ajs847
I presume that "notification" he's talking about is that date range in the account page?

like I said... no rhyme or reason, they just build a bunch of cars based on demand and configs and you get yours when one matching yours is not spoken for. And that final part is based on transporting the cars.

We had SAME thing. forward back, forward back, then disappear, then WAAAAY back. then BAM! you get a VIN delivery in 5 days! The timing would have been perfect the week before, but we had to scramble because I had a motorcycle trip coming up. :)

During the wait, A lot of freaking out happened, like-will my credit union still give me the cash if it goes too far, will insurance go up, are they speeding up production too fast and Im going to get a lemon?(big one for me)

There was even conversation about continuing looking at the Toyota SUV we originally wanted, but we held firm :)

The wait sucks, the experience there could AND SHOULD be MUCH better and transparent, but it all worked out in the end. The point of my post.
great to see you still participating here! My EDD window is back down to 13 days... it's been as small as 10 days a few weeks ago so I've seen this song and dance from the EDD's already. Really hoping to join you on the other side soon!

Well, I ordered an MYP on 7/27. EDD currently is 8/20-9/9. I have scheduled wall connector installation for 8/18 and ordered 8 accessories for the car already. So basically I will have everything I need other than the car in about 2 weeks. The struggle is real on this wait...:p

I placed an order for a Model Y on June 14. I was so happy when it gave me a July delivery. Then it moved to early August to September. Now it is early September to late September. Over 8 weeks and possibly 15 weeks? Is that normal? What can you do to expedite besides being on the portal and doing everything is required from your part?
Update. I just got mine on 8/12/2021. Took about 2 months or about 8 weeks. Not bad and worth it.

My friend in southern Virginia is in the same boat, I imagine that the further from the factory the harder it is to get a car with all the demand. If you make two cars and you have one order next to the factory and one on the east coast, they both get their car, but if you get a third order before you put the car on the truck across country you just deliver the two cars right there near the factory.

Especially with a new factory about to start up that will feed the east coast exclusively

How is this possible that you ordered 5/31 and you still don't have a car? Do you think it was the color? Or because there were performance models in your color that people kept taking? Trying to figure out Teslas logic.
Excellent questions you ask! It’s beyond frustrating: the moving EDD sets false expectations and being active in these forums informs me that others with later MY orders have their cars already. Since I don’t have inside information, I can only guess that Tesla manages its manufacturing and delivery operations to maximize the cars it can deliver (and get stock market oriented credit for) in a defined time period of time. Customer service and honest communications take a lower priority and there are no consequences for Tesla and no recourse for customers. Tesla knows precisely what’s happening in its operations, of course. Sure, there are supply chain issues but manufacturing management in Tesla knows exactly what they can build and deliver and when. It always comes down to a senior manager reporting to another senior manager about things and allowing certain misbehavior. My risk is that Tesla sees me bitching here and is ****ing me on my order. Oy.

Reactions: PackMan730
How is this possible that you ordered 5/31 and you still don't have a car? Do you think it was the color? Or because there were performance models in your color that people kept taking? Trying to figure out Teslas logic.
I ordered 4/30 MYLR base model, still waiting and EDD is now Oct...... Tesla has no logic, because people who ordered wayyyy after me already got their car

Hi! New member here. Ordered 7/13/2021. EDD Oct. 7-27. Was Sept. then Oct 2-22. Sold my leased Mercedes and driving a used pickup for now, but totally worth the wait for the Tesla Model Y Long Range, Solid Black! I'm in Riverside, CA picking up in Temecula, FYI.

This place does feel like a place where people come to tell their victim stories lately. So sad. Lots of people waiting to get their cars. I don't see this happening so much with the other car manufacturers. Wonder if their CEOs know what is happening. What will be the outcome in the coming years for the other car manufacturers? I saw an article about blackberry and how they didn't know or adapt to apple and Android so they just phased out and lost all of their market share.

Reactions: Rovin